4G3 tail problems - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

4G3 tail problems

Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
miru

Unhappy 4G3 tail problems

I have 2 4G3s now and both exhibit the same problem. I can fly them in 'normal' mode for about 4 to 5 minutes, then all of a sudden the tail motor quits working and the heli piros like crazy (I wish it would do that on command). Once it is down, I can start it up again and it will work for a minute or so and then do the same thing again. I did check that the tail motor is seated well and it does not seem to move. Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Make sure there isn't any jamming in the gear on the tail rotor. Otherwise it might be a low battery problem. 5 min is about all you want to fly before resting as the motors get hot and will wear out quickly. Fly 5 min, rest 3-5 min, fly 5 min will make it last much longer between motor replacements.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:20 AM
miru

Thanks, constantCrash, I found in the mean time if I fly without the canopy that problem goes away, but the resting in between looks to me like a good solution as well (getting the adrenalin flow down a bit).
Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

That sounds like the 4in1 getting hot then. Hmm...
Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

has anyone messed with the gyro mix function #12 dip switch... when I give it throttle the tail kicks right... I thought If I adjusted the v2 switch it was supposed to give more tail RPMS to mixed with it... to balance it out... but when I put it at 0, it will be ok, but still jumpy..., but When I go - or + from there, it gets worse, it will piro hard right, doesn't matter which way I go... am I confusing something?

SK
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
4stripes

I've taken an old tail boom and used it to lengthen the tail by 1 3/8". All you need is a square brass pipe available from hobby or model train shops. There is a size that fits very tightly over the square boom which I used 3/8" as a joiner.
Presto, no more tail authority problems. I've even been able to use old tail motors that couldn't do the trick with a stock boom.
You will have to sand the ends of the boom to fit snugly into the brass (no glue should be required if it is tight enough).

Another good change is to leave the tail wire outside of the boom. This makes tail motor changes a snap when a soldering iron is not available. I have a spare tail motor pre-soldered to a spare tail motor wire when I am flying away from my home. I wrap the tail wire 3 or 4 turns around the boom on its way to the tail motor (no fasteners).

The longer tail makes it slightly tail heavy but I put the battery as far forward as possible to offset it (will modify the battery holder next).

Cheers