FS One problems - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

FS One problems

Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Chappy
Chappy

Hey I just wanted to report that I deleted my copied airplane and started over fresh. I did enter weight, prop sz, wing span; chose a motor (speed 400) limiting it to 8000 rpm and used the Piper J-3 prop, upsizing it from the standard to a 9" (.750) and all seems to be fine. I burried it several times with no unusual results and the program reset and was ready fly again. I noticed the frame rates were lower this time btwn 28 to 30 instead of the previous 48-50 that might have been the issue all along. I still don't know what made the change though? But I can accept it all the same. Still wondering about the other questions though if anyone has the answers. Thanks all.

Chappy
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 PM
sctholson

Chappy,
I'll look at the other items, but the last one, regarding the motor sound; in my last post, one of the images was the sound tab and I chose an electronic motor sound. If you had changed the motor to the electric motor and changed the sound to the electric sound, you shouldn't have any engine sound ... just motor sounds.
Scott
Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Albatross

Hey Chappy,

Glad it worked for you. The thing I see with FS One is that it is incredibly customizable but they don't tell you what all of the factors are for or could be. My guess is you'll have todo some trial and error to get the answers you're looking for ... and then maybe you can tell us .

Hey Scott, thanks for chiming in, you are a guru!
cheers
Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 PM
sctholson

[quote=Chappy;
I do have a couple general questions I'd like to have some input on. I have gone to the help (gn Q mark) for explainations of the various options that can be entered when choosing scaling options, but many are vague.

1. Can you tell me how the MPropCT_UserFac (aka thrust) effects the plane? Is this prop pitch they are referring to? The setting on mine is at 1. Should a 9" SF prop with a 6" pitch be set to 6? I've tried it and it seems to turn this highwing SF into a delta winged jet!! (This would be under Airplane Edit/Prop/prop data/MpropCT_UserFac)

2. There's also a setting having to do with crash recovery (MzeroAirThreshold) under Options menue /Aerodynamics/Areo Parts/MzeroAirThreshold; mine is at "30" I've never made any changes as it says not to, but is 30 where it should be? If not could this have something to do with my crash recovery problems?

Chappy[/quote]Chappy, Glad you got the new copied plane working. It is not uncommon for FSOne to have an error in a plane - or other component that is customized. I think this is one of the features of FSOne, the original plane is always still there to be used to copy from again, and again. Makes testing very easy.

Regarding your prop questions. To be totally honest, none of us know exactly what that field is for. Sure it says thrust, but thrust of what? For me, I'd take one of the props that give the both dimensions. 11 x 6 is a good example. If your scaling it down to 10" ; you might want to assume that the pitch is also scaled down. 10" / 11" = .909090, Then use this factor to calculate what FSOne is scaling down the pitch to. .909090 x 6 = 5.45... then use that field MpropCT_UserFac to a factor the pitch back up. (6" / 5.45 = 1.10091) 1.10091 * 5.45 = 5.99999. So set that field to 1.10091 and that should bring the pitch back up.

If you know the prop's pitch you chose, then work off those numbers. I just didn't know what pitch that prop had.

Regarding your crash recovery question. I don't know for sure that that field was you problem but I doubt it. As I mentioned before I think that your white screen issue was from a problem specifically in the plane you edited. Once you started over that white screen issue went away.

Have fun playing.
Scott
Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Hey Chappy,

Glad it worked for you. The thing I see with FS One is that it is incredibly customizable but they don't tell you what all of the factors are for or could be. My guess is you'll have todo some trial and error to get the answers you're looking for ... and then maybe you can tell us .

Hey Scott, thanks for chiming in, you are a guru!
cheers
Dave
That is a problem with lots of products. They assume customers know much more than they do. I can understand this with professional equipment, if you don't know how to use a slide rule you shouldn't complain that it didn't come wiht instructions. However, the hobby market shouldn't expect consumers to be aerospace engineers. I was an aerospace technician years ago and I don't understand much of the settings in these sims
Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
sctholson

While you are correct, and I feel the same way. Inertiasoft's FAQ is full of awsome information.

The Inertiasoft folks in the past had been more active in participating in the RCUniverse forum, but they've cut that down significantly for whatever reason. I see them logged on from time to time, but not much posting.

Dave, thanks for the nice comments.
Scott
Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
sctholson

For what it's worth... there's an FAQ on scaling and the procedure.. it doesn't mention anything about pitch.

Go to the FAQ page:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/...html#Q1040-FS1

I think this link will take you directly to this FAQ.

It looks like the sequence of changes are also important.
Scott
How can I size-up the electric Brio and add the Saito 180 glow motor? (Example 3) (Q1057-FS)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Chappy
Chappy

Scot,
The background sound of the plane flying around at. . . (it just hit me that you had no idea of which flying site I'm using or the sound I'm referring to) I'm referring to the sound of the plane flying in the background at Pitkin Airfield site not of the plane I'm controling. I realize it's there for realism but often times I just want to eliminate it. I'll continue to try various things but for now I'm stumped. Thanks again to the both of you.

Chappy
Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Chappy
Chappy

Thanks for your input as well dbcisco.
Hey illy you can have your post back now! Haha!

Chappy
Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 AM
sctholson

Chappy,
Ok I get it. Have you ever played around with recorded flights? If I'm not mistaken you have a recorded flight playing in the background. Head over to the recordings tab and turn it off. I'm not in front of that PC at the moment, but if you need additional guidance on where to look to turn that off let me know and I'll go look.
Scott
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Chappy
Chappy

Hey Scott, that did it! You da' man. Thanks again! :-)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
up_ya_go
up is good

Quote from CHAPPY in post 9 ..".I went to radio shack and bought a new plug, soldered it and presto! I haven't had any of these problems since. (knock on wood) "

Hi everyone !
I have had my FS1 for about 18 months and it has worked fine till the cord/plug at the transmitter ( my JR Max 66) became intermittent as you found CHAPPY . I checked the computer receptical and it was fine and it was obvious that the ( staight plug/cord combination) had , over the period of being put down flat on the desk had been stressed and was the location of the intermittent operation.
So like you CHAPPY I went and bought a new plug and soldered it on... that was when my dilema started.
The program recognises the interface , but I cannot get the transmitter to Calibrate .
Any advice how just changing he plug would cause this?
I have read the Help , uninstalled and reinstalled the program, down loaded the updates and says it is v1.0.9.
Have selected the correct model number, reset that to factory settings, and it is in PPM.
The program when told to "FLY" will take the aeroplane off and it will fly quite happily away just flying it self ... It can be reset with the space bar ( then off it goes again ... auto take off) I can slew the scene with the up/down/left/right arrows but that is all the keyboard will do, but it is at least getting some signal through the plug and interface .
The original plug , being solid moulded to the wire and plug was a mess by the time I sliced it away to see which wire went to which post. I soldered the white to the center post ( tip of the insert ) and the red on the other tab. When that did not work I thought I must have made a mistake ... so reversed them .. which made no difference... so changed them back again.
I tried diffent plugs and checked the "continuity" with a meter .
I've checked my transmitter with my model aeroplanes and all channels are transmitting normally .
I have been through options and the usual methods of selecting a model /interface/calibrating including a copied transmitter to no avail.
I figure it must be some little dumb little thing I am doing or overlooking.
All was working fine ( except for intermittent signals when the cable moved) until I changed the plug.
Now then .... you CHAPPY had no probs with your plug replacement . Has anyone else had to change the plug???
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
cheers
Ray :o
Old 01-22-2009, 02:06 PM
sctholson

I've never had mine apart. When I did have issues with the cable I phoned Horizon Hobby and they replaced it for me. I did have to send back the original.
Scott
Old 01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Chappy
Chappy

Up ya go; It sounds as if there's a break/short some where else in the cord btwn the interface cable and your Tx, but iIf the continuity checks out in the cord I don't know what to say. I do recall that the RED wire went to the tip (center) of the plug and white to the solid (back) of the plug. I would double check your solder connections and if still no change you'll probably need to try a NEW cable as scott suggests. (BTW - if Scott suggests something to try - try it - he was very helpful in my delima) I've found that sometimes the program itself doesn't accept or make the changes that you've indicated when setting up your aircraft so try deleting your plane and re-entering it making changes as you go until the program responds. I did this and it worked for me.

Chappy
Old 01-22-2009, 04:26 PM
sctholson

Up ya go:

Also, what do you mean by this statement:
The program recognises the interface , but I cannot get the transmitter to Calibrate .

When you go through the calibration sequence what happens to make you think it's not calibrating?

For sure, FSOne would not run if it didn't think the dongle or the transmitter were not plugged in.

Other things to check, are you sure you got exactly the correct plug? (diameter, contact points and length)

Scott
Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM
up_ya_go
up is good

Thanks Chappy and Scott for your response.
I will change the wires back to red /center post for a start then. (I've just checked the pin with calipers and it is identicle to the origonal.) but will start looking for a new lead .
When trying to calibrate ... there is no input reactions at all , slider and control indices don't move . Apart from the plug nothing else has been touched , but I had started to wonder if I had damaged the dongle in some way with reversing the wires but couldn't imagine how that could happen.
There is no reaction to the TX at all . The rest of what I said was just trying say that I could find no breaks in the signal delivery ( tried diffent USB ports etc) so thought the problem might have been in he TX till I tested it on the models and it works fine .
The symptoms are the same before and after doing the clean install and updates.
Also I will recheck the plug receptical in the TX again incase.
Thanks millions ... what you have established for me is red on the center post ( which I had tried) but not something else with regards changing the plug which you could recognise as a glaring error .
When I get a new lead that will defineatly eliminate that variable ... then it can only be the socket or finger trouble . I have been using it for over 18 months and have of course done many calibrations so it is not like I am brand new in using it, which has made me feel all the more like "tearing my hair out" .
Oh well slowly does it I guess ... will start at the beginning again and keep trouble shooting.
Will let you know how I get on ........ but again thanks a lot for your inputs.
Just on the lighter side .... being nearly70 .... the older I get .... the faster I used to be .
Oh well ...
cheers
Ray
Old 01-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Chappy
Chappy

You know, sometimes we overlook the most simple of things. One time I helped my son-in-law change a fuel pump in his truck twice, removing the bed to access the pump which was in the fuel tank wasn't any fun. It wasn't until after the second pump failed that it hit me; the Emergency Fuel Cut Off Switch! Sure enough it had kicked. Reset it and off we went. I say that to ask this: Your Tx power switch is in the OFF position while your FS cable is plugged in isn't it? As I said sometimes it's the simplest things??
Old 01-23-2009, 05:09 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
You know, sometimes we overlook the most simple of things. One time I helped my son-in-law change a fuel pump in his truck twice, removing the bed to access the pump which was in the fuel tank wasn't any fun. It wasn't until after the second pump failed that it hit me; the Emergency Fuel Cut Off Switch! Sure enough it had kicked. Reset it and off we went. I say that to ask this: Your Tx power switch is in the OFF position while your FS cable is plugged in isn't it? As I said sometimes it's the simplest things??
One of the tests I give my students is troubleshooting a system, can take some of them hours to solve. All I do is unplug the computer. It is also the first thing they are told to check during the course.

We often make more work for our selves than needed. When I get stumped I try working on something unrelated for a while so I can come back to the project with a fresh mind.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 AM
up_ya_go
up is good

Yes mate .... Tx power switch off.
By golly Chappy and DBCISCO .... you have given me a real good laugh there !!! by golly I can sure relate to those examples of what we humans seem to do ..... of overlooking the obvious .... complicating the simple ... and so often not seeing what's right right under our noses. lol. and
I have been so guilty of that so many times .
Thanks and take care
Ray
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
up_ya_go
up is good

Default FS1

Hi there Chappy, DBCISCO and Scott ! and indeed everyone !!
Pleased to report back to you that my FS1 is now working fine.
Left it alone for these couple of days and tonight made a fresh start. Checked the new plug for red to center pin and resoldered to ensure good connections .... plugged into the computer and went through all settings first up from go to whoa, including the TX.
Clicked on stuff I've never touched before .
I was so pleased when the TX accepted calibration quite normally, and ops normal.
It is obvious I built in some finger trouble ( most likely, but not necessarily the plug )..:o...but all is well now .
Thanks again for your interest and suggestions ...
Happy flying and simming
cheers
Ray
Old 01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Chappy
Chappy

Hey! Good deal. Glad to hear your up to speed Up You Go. I've found the program can be awfully tempromental / touchy.

Chappy