What would be the best beginner airplane - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

What would be the best beginner airplane

Old 01-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Futurepilot13

Talking What would be the best beginner airplane

I Have been flying helicopters for quite awhile and was wondering what would be the best Beginner airplane model to start out with if you have any ideas please do reply.I would like to start flying airplanes. Please help.
James,
Old 01-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Fliton Mini Extra or the GWS Formosa.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 AM
1320fastback

The HobbyZone Super Cub is probably the best and most durable beginner plane, you can get it RTF for about $160.00 or you can piece it together for the same price but use a brushless motor.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Futurepilot13

Thumbs up Ok

Ok Do you know of anything else mabey not so drurable. I know durability counts but im just wondering. I think i will go to hobby town and get it this weekend. But if there is any other ones please feel free to tell me.

Thanks, James
Old 01-17-2009, 05:17 AM
1320fastback

Are you looking for a RTF or do you already have a controller, RX, ESC and servos? Any stick (Slow stick, Pico stick) would be good as would most high wing cub style planes.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:24 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Assuming you have a TX from your Heli stuff...
I would Suggest a PNP Parkzone T28, It looks pretty good, is upgradeable to fly pretty sweet.... flys good out of the box.... and doesn't cost too much...

Depending on how "new" you are with helicopters, I normally suggest a hobbyzone supercub.... but....I don't think you'll have any issues that would make you need to start with that, Helicopter guys transfer over to airplanes extreemly well....

I helped a guy setup and maiden a parkzone typhoon, and he did fine... later he told me it was his first flight on "any" plane, let alone a 3d one....and the LHS guys confermed it....LOL

SK
Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
nascarwings

My 2 cents...if i had it to do all over again i would go with the telemaster...i had the super cub nice little plane once you spend some money on it like brushless motor and hack it up so it has ailerons...the telemaster will fly with out much input from you very easy to fly!!...and you will have a plane that you will have years of fun with..i still have 2 and still fly them as often as the rest of my planes...if ya go with the super cub just remember not to use the anti crash stuff in it...smile
Old 01-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Futurepilot13

Talking Yes

Yeahai read about the ACT what would be the bad yhing about it.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Futurepilot13 View Post
Yeahai read about the ACT what would be the bad yhing about it.
do a Wattflyer Search.... "ACT Crashes Planes" and see what you come up with...LOL

Actually, Act is only supposed to be engaged above 50ft as stated in the manual, which (If you get that high) you are pretty much safe anyways.... so turn it off and you won't have an issue with your planes engine stopping and stalling the plane when you go to lane....

SK
Old 01-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Futurepilot13

Ok Sweet well if you van think of others I Would be verey happy. Im just trying to find the perfect one. You know what I mean.
James,
Old 01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Futurepilot13

Talking Hmm

Are Gas powered Planes good for beginers because on ebay and that type of stuff it says "Nitro powered plane for beginners"

"Go to this link"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beginners-Airpla...1%7C240%3A1318

And tell me what you think. LOL!!! I can make a ryme anytime. LOL!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:43 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I would definatly Say NO WAY to a Nitro plane for a beginner... However, if you Join a Local Club, and Have someone buddybox the nitro plane, then yes, it could make it a beginner plane....

SK
Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
My 2 cents...if i had it to do all over again i would go with the telemaster...i had the super cub nice little plane once you spend some money on it like brushless motor and hack it up so it has ailerons...the telemaster will fly with out much input from you very easy to fly!!...and you will have a plane that you will have years of fun with..i still have 2 and still fly them as often as the rest of my planes...if ya go with the super cub just remember not to use the anti crash stuff in it...smile

I second the Telemaster suggestion.

Frank
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Are Gas powered Planes good for beginers because on ebay and that type of stuff it says "Nitro powered plane for beginners"

"Go to this link"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beginners-Airpla...1%7C240%3A1318

And tell me what you think. LOL!!! I can make a ryme anytime. LOL!!!!!!

People learn all the time with glow planes. But if learning how to fly yourself, I certainly wouldn't want to go that route on my own.

Frank
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Futurepilot13

Talking ok

Ok well it looks like im going for the hobbyzone super cub Thank yall so much. Have a good night.
James,
Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
boomerpilot

e-flite apprentice...great airplane for a beginner. Bigger than the smaller twitchy stuff.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
haybale22

I was very happy starting out on the Multiplex Easy Star. The RTF version comes with a very nice Tx too.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Ok well it looks like im going for the hobbyzone super cub Thank yall so much. Have a good night.
James,
The Super Cub is definately a good choice. One of my top recommendations.

The Multiplex Easy Star is the other. Flies well, hard to break and easy to fix.

The third is the Parkzone Radian electric glider. If you would like to try out thermal soaring, this would be a great choice. But beware, soaring with the birds can be very addictive.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
offtom
Megans Servant

Okay, I know a little late but hey my .02 worth

On often overlooked yet great flying beginners plane.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=219

Downside in todays buy and fly market is you have to put it together yourself.

Had my daughter, started at 6 years old, on the buddy box with me several times with the thing and she flies it quite well.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by offtom View Post
Okay, I know a little late but hey my .02 worth

On often overlooked yet great flying beginners plane.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=219

Downside in todays buy and fly market is you have to put it together yourself.

Had my daughter, started at 6 years old, on the buddy box with me several times with the thing and she flies it quite well.
The Magpie is an excellent first plane. I have trained several new pilots with the Magpie, one by e-mail. The build is easy and the plane is tough. It flies very well.

One of its best features is that you can start with the 3 channel wing which makes this a very easy to fly plane. When you are ready, put on the 4 channel, aileron wing and start to work on your aerobatics.

Mountain Models will provide you with everything you need. They make it so easy.

There is even a photography version of the Magpie.

Great choice if you are willing to do an easy kit.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

pz cub, or easystar
Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Bill Linske

Like everyone, I have a favorite. The Multiplex Easystar is an excellent starter, as is the Multiplex MiniMag. The MM is a more difficult plane to fly, but with your Heli experience it should be within your capability. It can be flown either as a three channel plane- rudder, elev., and throttle, and later with ailerons. Recommend starting with two axis and graduating to three. Elapor foam is very forgiving in tough landings, read crashes. The MM looks great and flys very well with the Power Package recomended. If possible use a 25A to 30A ESC, although the 17A provided works well, but will limit you to a 5.5x4.5 prop. Again, we all have our favorites.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Scorpion

Cool

Since this is your first trainer, you can keep the cost low and go for the Mini Telemaster. It's a slow, easy flying plane available as an ARF for $75 or as a kit for only $34 (both available from HobbyLobby). If you get the kit you can modify it and add ailerons on the outer half of each wings and cover it in the colors you want.

Instead of the separate Atlas motor and ESC, go for the motor/ESC combo at only $57. This is a bargain for an outrunner.

If you prefer something bigger, check out the Electro Kadett ARF. It has a nice big 63" wing span, flies beautifully, and it's on sale right now for $180. Like the Mini Telemaster, go for the Atlas motor/ESC combo.

I've always preferred built-up planes because the structure is more rigid than foam and they fly smoother.

Check out the videos of these planes on the HobbyLobby website.

Last edited by Scorpion; 01-26-2009 at 01:58 AM.