Is this a good beginner heli? Heli-Max AXE CPv3 RTF - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Is this a good beginner heli? Heli-Max AXE CPv3 RTF

Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 AM
HEMICUDA

Default Is this a good beginner heli? Heli-Max AXE CPv3 RTF

I've been flying glow and electric planes since this spring and looking to get into heli's. Is the Heli-Max AXE CPv3 micro RTF a good place to start?
It has a 380 brushed motor and a n60 on the tail, with a rotor diameter of ~20 inches. I don't want to get a "toy" heli and I don't want a bigtime heli that costs $400 or more either. I want it to be durable & I want it to come with training gear too. Any suggestions?

Hemicuda
Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 PM
BoysToys

I learned how to hover and fly a basic circuit on the original Axe CP. Looking back, I don't know how I ever got that far on the Axe. The Axe will hover around but is quite unstable and forget about flying it in anything but a gentle breeze. The gyro is not all that great and I found that I ended up chasing the tail around throughout the entire flight, which is not good for an experianced helicopter pilot let alone a beginner. With that being said, I have never and will never recommend any cp helicopter with a motor driven tail setup, like an Axe cp or Blade CP, to a beginner.

When I had the Axe, I always thought the T-Rex guys were "snobs". I also belived that only a pro pilot would be able to tell the difference between their blinged out helis and my Axe. Boy was I wrong! A quality helicopter that is properly setup makes a HUGE difference in ones abiltiy to learn to fly and progress.

The one thing I will say about the Axe is that it was farily durable. In a typical crash I would need to replace the main blades, main grips, tail rotor, and a feathering shaft. Ocassionaly I would need to also replace the tail boom, main shaft, main gear, and some of the other plastic head pieces.

If you only have $200 bucks, I would recommend just getting a quality simulator. If you already have a sim, I would suggest saving your cash and getting a decent flying helicopter like an eFlite Blade 400. If you are on a tight budget you can look at the Esky King V2.

That fact is that helicopters just cost more than planes to build. They also tend to cost more to repair after a crash since you can't just glue everything back together and throw a new prop on it.

For Example, the nicest plane in my garage is a 48" 3D Hobby Shop Extra SHP. I did not cut any corners when I built it with a, Torque 2818T/900 outrunner, Airboss 45A esc with switching bec, 4 Hitech HS-65mgs, AR6100rx, ect. I have about $600 w/battery in the sky when I fly it. Compare that to my T-Rex 450 SE V2 which is around $800 all up and that is a little 325mm blade machine. The price just goes up from there for my T-Rex 500 and T-Rex 600.

I don't want to bum you out or anything. I just want to warn you that few people are successful learning to fly on helicopters like the Axe cp. Of those that are, like myself, many wish they had never spent the money on that particular helicopter and built a quality model in the first place.

Sorry for being long winded and I hope this helps.

Brandon
Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 AM
HEMICUDA

Brandon,

Thanks and no you're not being long winded. I still will not spend
$500, $600 or $800 for something I could destroy in seconds. Like you
said, the heli's cost alot more to repair. I'm just looking for something that goes up and down, left and right, just the basics. And something with some size not a micro, around 20" rotors or something similar.

Thanks for the info though.
Hemicuda
Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Twmaster

20" is micro mang.

The above advice given about any CP heli with a tail motor is worth listening to. Much aggravation.

If you are just looking for a decent beginner bird look at the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch. They can be had for less than $100 and are quite tough.

If the thought of spending money on something you can crash Helis may not be a good hobby to look at.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 PM
BoysToys

I totally forgot about the good old Honey Bee Fixed Pitch. That is a great alternative for someone that just wants something to fly around in the front yard. I have never personally flown one of these helicopters, but I have heard many good things about them. This model does still have a motor driven tail.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/honeybee3.htm

Another good choice is an Esky Lama 4. This is a coaxial type helicopter and they are very stable. I am teaching my 7 year old to fly with one right now. Just make sure there is not any wind when you take it out. These coaxial type of helicopters do not have any tail blades.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/lama-v4.htm

These are two great choices if you don't have to have a collective pitch helicopter. I n my previous post I only talked about collective pitch helicopters. The two helis mentioned above will work well for beginners but they do not behave anything like a collective pitch helicopter in flight. Also remember that you will need a collective pitch helicopter to fly aerobatics like loops, rolls, stall turns, and inverted flight.

Your comment about "destroying a helicopter" in a crash is not really the case. Sure you will have a lot of damage and look like it will never fly again. However, all you do is remove the broken/bent pieces and install new ones. After a rebuild my helis always fly like brand new. An average crash on my 450, with wood blades, only costs be around $25 or so. Not all that bad, unlike my 600 that costs around $200 or more, a set of 600mm carbon blades cost $100. OUCH

Good Luck and have fun!

Brandon

Last edited by BoysToys; 10-31-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 AM
dizzymarkus

Get a HBKII -- about $150 RTF and its what the axe cp should have been :0) A 300 class heli with a belt drive. Motorized tails are to stay away from IMO

Markus
Old 11-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Twmaster

And that is an even better suggestion Markus.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 AM
TravisBean

Newbie speaking-The honey bee king 2 and Esky Belt CP were 2 helis that I was thinking of getting. Both decent? I am in the same boat as hemicuda(or should I say heli?). I was also thinking of getting a Walkera 4#3b to fool around with indoors-- looks pretty good and stable.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Parkview Flyer

I'm in the same boat, can't seem to fly the AXE CP but don't want to drop a grand on a T-rex. I have mastered the coaxial ones but I could care less about 3D, the three I'm looking at are the Blade 400, Helimax? but one comes with a battery and a brushless motor. The honey bee looks real good, is it really as stable as in the video? Twmaster, were you in the MH-53 community? I was and was just wondering. Thanks, Parkview Flyer
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 AM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

blade 400 and axe 400 are good intro heli's if you need a radio. If you want a trex, but want to go cheap, get a clone. I bought a copterX and it's 100% Trex but cheap cheap cheap, problem is, it's cheap. Don't over power it though and you'll have basicly a trex 450.

My thoughts: if you want a serious heli, the cheapest/smallest I'd go is the Trex 450 SE v2 -regardless of 3D beast or scale master, everything less and you are given things up, the other side of the trex, they get nicer and nicer.... Beam E4, yummm , xcell furion, yummm, atom 500, Logo, Swift, Ion X.... you get the picture.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

i myself am a heli novice, but here's my two cents:

I recently bought an axe cp v3
shortly afterward I ended up getting a blade 400

it is a fair difference when flying, but to me it isn't as extreme as some people seem to think/say it is. also, i would highly recommend HBKII as well as it will save you a lot of $$$ if you don't want to do any 3d. Also, i found that the blade 400 has been more resilient when i've "landed hard", though if you crash a CP heli, you WILL break something, it's part of the hobby.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Micro coaxial like the e-Flite CX2 would be a good way to get your feet wet. More stable for beginner and costs less to repair and is more reasonable to fly indoors. I bought both an e-FLite CP Pro and a CX2 and was much more comfortable learning to fly the CX2. (No exploding blades on impact!)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:35 AM
zirconx
RC Flyer

I agree a Honey Bee FP is one of the cheapest ways to start.

Also really like the Eskys, both the HBK2 and the BeltCP.

But if you haven't had any heli experience at all - you need to use a sim first. No matter which heli you get (unless its a coaxial like the CX2), you'll probably turn it into a pile of parts pretty quick if you haven't had any sim time. Its harder than you think.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Parkview Flyer

Thanks for all the inputs, I can and do fly the coaxial birds and some sim time but until now I didn't realize that G4.5 had a tutorial and I read Radds rotary flight and it was good too. I bought a t-rex with the brushless and the tail rotor servo plus three more, I will wait till I master the sim before I put it together. I didn't read hard enough and ordered the Honey Bee from Hobby Lobby but I ordered the $99 one and it is not what I wanted.
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted,
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Liability of too much helicopter too soon.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McvY6LAnEK8&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V2kO0rZOAg&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-TaC0xSzk&feature=related[/media]