ESC problems? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

ESC problems?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

Default ESC problems?

Has anyone else had problems with these 25 amp speed controls in the Typhoons? I was flying last Saturday and lost power to the plane for about 5 sec. I was high enough that it powered back on before I crashed. I thought the digital servos might be drawing too much power from the BEC so I switched them out with analog servos. I flew again today and it lost power again but this time I was too close to the ground (the plane is pretty messed up). I'm not sure what to do it's only a month old. I contacted Horizon Hobbies and I don't think they want to mess with it, which makes me kind of mad!

Thanks

Travis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	89787  
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

I dont have any direct experience with that esc but if you can answer a few questions we may be able to help.

How many servos are you running on the plane? What type?

What battery pack are you running on the plane - voltage and capacity?

How many amps are you drawing at full throttle?

Was it really cold out when this happened?

One other test you can do is hook everything back up - but remove the prop from the motor. Thats so you dont accidentally fly off the end of the bench doing the test

Then work ALL the servos to full throws back and forth as fast as you can at the same time for a couple of minutes. Bang the sticks to all four corners as fast as you can and keep it up.

Then stop and check the esc and see if its hot. This will give you an idea if your pushing the BEC too hard.

Keep in mind that the servos will be working harder in the air than they are on the bench. Also the esc will be heating up from the motor running as well. So this test is a LOT easier on things than it will be in flight. If the esc gets hot now, then your probably pushing the BEC too hard.

Let us know.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

It's a Park Zone Tyhpoon2. I was running 4 digital servos the first time it happened (which was how the plane came stock). Then I replaced them with the analog 9 gram tower pro servos for the second flight. At full throttle the motor draws about 13.5 amps. I'm running 20c 1250 mAh 3 cell e-flight packs. It was about 25F out. I already tore the plane apart but I'll test out the ESC with some servos on another plane. I'm using the model of ESC in a few other planes with the same servos and haven't had any issues up to this point. The manual says that the ESC should be able to power 4 analog servos of this size.

Travis
Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

The Tower analog servos are power hogs. If you had something like GWS Naro or HS55 servos, the BEC would likely not have overloaded, if that is the case.

Horizon isn't exactly clear on the spec of their so called "dual regulator" BEC on this ESC. May not be all they crack it up to be either. I know the 30A with switching BEC is only 2A, which kind of defeats the purpose of a switching BEC. Would be nice if they had beefed it up to 3A, making it sufficient for full-house parkflyers with retracts.

From what I understand the Tower Pro 9gm are similar to HXT-900 servos.
Look at what they draw compared to other servos:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bhabbott/Servo.html
Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Larry3215

The other possibility is that at 25 degrees outside temp your battery went into low voltage cut off.

Lipos dont like extreme cold temps. Their internal resistance goes up and the voltage will drop a lot further than normal. You may have just been experiencing that problem.

I forgot to ask one other question - when you lost power - did the servos keep responding and just the motor quit or did the servos stop working as well?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

The servos stopped working too.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Larry3215

Ok, then its most likely a BEC issue.

Another thought just occurred to me - at 25 deg your servos may be drawing a lot more current than normal as well.

The cold may be causing any grease in them to harden up. There was another recent thread about servos in the cold stopping working.

Your esc may work fine once the temps go back up a bit.