Beginner looking for Cessna 206T info - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Beginner looking for Cessna 206T info

Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 PM
e30ix

Default Beginner looking for Cessna 206T info

I've had rc cars since i was a kid, nitro and electric, been thinking about an electric plane off and on. Recently the Cessna 206T caught my eye. Specifically this one on ebay (I can't post a link yet) If you go to ebay and search "cessna 206t" it's the only one that shows up. It's white with red and brown decals.

However, I can't figure out the name of the company who makes it. Plus in a few videos I see some are blue and say "famous" across the wings while others just have some red designs on the fuselage.

Are these all the same plane? Manufacturer names? Anyone have any of these? How about an opinion of it as a first plane for someone who has never flown a plane before?

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Hi e30ix,
First off, WELCOME TO WATTFLYER!! It's always great to see new faces.

If I'm thinking of the same thing you are, then it's a Famous brand plane. You are right, it's a HongKong kit that gets distributed under different names. Here are two examples:

http://www.chinatopwin.com/CESSNA-T206-163.html

and

Here's one from E-bay.

My good friend and flying buddy Anglerhi had one of thes. He liked it a lot. It was a rock-solid flyer and was pretty durable.

Short answer is "Yes, I think it's a great 1st aeleron plane." I don't know about it being a first plane, I guess it depends on the guy on the sticks.

Hope this helps.
John
Old 11-04-2008, 02:03 AM
e30ix

Thanks. That's definately the plane I'm talking about. I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy one (I just wanted to make sure they were all the same plane). Then get some hours logged on a sim. The fall days here in PA are starting to get cold and kinda windy, so I should I have a few months to practice. Maybe even take the time to look for a local club.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey friend, they are all the same plane, like max2112 was saying. They have different distributors, but all come from the same mold, thus being the same plane.

It was actually MY first plane and it was a bit touchy at first but a great plane none the less. I actually maidened this bird with max2112 when we met for the first time. Just remember to give small amounts of input and do your best not to over correct and you'll do just fine. I found the best way to learn on her was to get her up high and kill the throttle...that's right, kill the throttle. She glides around like you wouldn't believe and can stay up there with no power for quite sometime. If she looks like she's about to stall, just give her a little throttle and she'll walk away fine. I also made a short video which should be on the ebay site you were looking at. Just scroll all the way down and you'll see it. If not, I'll post it here later so you can see how easy she is. if you have any more questions feel free to ask, that's what we're here for. Oh yeah...WELCOME to WATTFLYER!! You'll love it here friend.

Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Here's that video I was telling you about e30ix:
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/893834[/media]

Sorry if I'm stumbling with the words, it was my first video I ever made with commentary.

Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 PM
e30ix

Thanks Max and Angler, for both the info on the plane and the welcome. Your video was actually the first video I watched with the 206T and the one that made me start looking for more info on it. Thanks for posting it again though. Ordered a cable for my radio (have a Blade CP pro) and about to download the FMS sim, after that, ordering me a Cessna. I'm sure I'll have many more questions.

Thanks again,
Blake
Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Jaiwill

Hey e30ix,
I also have one of these birds. It is awesome just like Mike said it glides forever. It's a great flyer and easy to put together. Mine is from Winfly.
Has plenty of power too, I guess different companies would put different gear in them. Im wrapped with mine and cant wait to get home to fly it...(i work away from home). You can see it in my avatar. Also have thread on it...
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40405

Gotta get organised with vimeo to get some video on here....

Good luck you will love it...
Cheers Darren
Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Glad I could be of help to you Blake. Like I said, if you have any other questions, just feel free to post them friend.

Darren, that's a nice little fleet you got there mate! Good winds to you friend.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
v8torrie

Just to add to the already informative info given in this thread...

I have this very plane myself. First flew it after some hours on FMS simulator, and happy to say that I have not crashed as yet...touch wood...

I found this plane to be VERY easy to set up and fly, but the standard motor overheated easily. That caused the motor-mount to melt and then the motor fell away from the plane. Still glided to the ground though! Motor was hanging out the front by the ESC! I fixed that issue by buying a better motor, and making a metal motor mount. No problems since... Mostly was getting hot when it hovers.

I set it up with flapperons, using a spektrum DX6i radio. Not really needed to be honest... I have now upgraded to a YAK-54 aerobatic, and thank the Cessna every day for the experience!

The different colours are due to options, I believe. I have the BLUE version, T206B, that runs 11.1v and four servos. There are lesser versions that run three servos and 7.4v.

Hope this is of some help too.

Rob
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Jaiwill

V8 torrie, firstly love the nickname brings back some great memories.. So your prop hanging the cessna and have moved to the yak 54 after a few hours on simulator.. Let me be the first to say im impressed
Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 PM
v8torrie

Thanks Jaiwill. I still have a V8 Torana, so the user ID is appropriate, I guess

Just to clarify though...

I have put quite some hours on the Cessna before moving to the Yak! If it sounded like I said that I went from the Sim to a Yak in a couple hours, I definately apologise!

I guess what I was trying to say, is I spent a few hours learning orientation on FMS, then flew the Cessna. The T206B is so stable and easy to fly, that I found it easy to convert the simulator experience to the real flight of the Cessna.

The Yak I have is significantly harder to fly!!!!!!! First flight I had, I crashed! Not too bad, luckily. Air stalled on approach. Turns out the YAK doesnt have anywhere near the gliding ability of the Cessna...
Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Jaiwill

Hey V8torrie,
Thats good hang on to it theres nowhere near enough of them left, you just dont see many of them day to day. Awesome cars....I had a LH 4.2 4 speed loved it to bits.. Also had LC XU-1 (not original motor but all other checks were there) and a LJ GTR just to name a few.

I didnt think there was a couple of hours between sim and yak. But your still moving quickly and doing well.. I want a 3Der myself but thats a way off. Ive got enough planes for now as you can see. Want to get out and have some fun for a bit..

Cheers for now...Darren
Old 12-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I see you guys are still having fun with the Cessnas. Yaks don't need to glide when they can hover. Sorry to hear about your crash V8torrie, I hope she wasn't too bad friend.

Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 10:25 PM
v8torrie

Darren.

The one I have is a 75 LH. Started life as a 6cyl auto, and I converted it to a V8 manual. Spent HEAPS!!! Still not complete as yet Bet you wish you had the LC and the LJ now! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks for the compliments. For me it was more of a transition than anything. I had raced nitro buggies and such, so was fairly familiar with a Tx.

Mike.

Yep, you are SO right. A Yak doesnt need to glide...

The one I have is a 40in wing span, with HUGE control surfaces. I have a 10x5 prop on which just BEGS to hover. On the first flight, I couldnt stop it from hovering at times...lol. Was flying too slow and it just switches to hover all by itself!

The crash I had was a low level bad landing that tore the landing gear out of the fuselage (bad design, of which I have now fixed) and stripped the rudder off the paper hinges.

Re-glue the hinges, fix the landing gear and we are back in the air. Though I have since found the starboard aileron servo is cactus.

Other thing I did is lessen the control surface angle movement, to make it a little more sane to fly.

I still have my Cessna, and love it to bits!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Yeah, I don't like using paper hinges on ANYTHING! I'm glad you got her fixed up and she's easier to control friend.

Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Jaiwill

V8torrie,
not sure what TX you have but try dialling in some expo if you have it. I need to do it for my Ultimate Bipe but ive shelved that after a little "incident" nothing bad but made me realize perhaps a little more practice would help... Cheers Darren

Yes would love the LJ back would give anything....nearly
Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 PM
v8torrie

Mike.

My experience with balsa models is limited to only my current one. What other options are there for hinges, and can a paper hinged model be converted???

Darren.

I am running a Spektrum DX6i. I have mucked around with expo for my heli, but havent tried it on the Yak. I really need to search these forums for answers me thinks. Need to know what the best control surface angle is, and what starting expo etc is suitable.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey Darren, any model can use fiber hinges instead of paper. Most balsa models actually come with the fiber hinges. However, if your plane comes with paper hinges like GWS planes, then you can easily scrap them and use fiber hinges. If your balsa model already has the hinges glued in (not likely) you can use an Xacto knife to cut them loose. Just cut along the top of the hinges as if you were making the slits yourself. It will separate the glue from the balsa and they should pull right out.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:56 AM
v8torrie

Thanks for the info on the higes, Mike. Will go to my local hobby shop and check it out.

BTW, my name is Rob. Where it looked like I signed off as Darren was me replying to Darrens previous post.

Thanks for the input, again.

Off for the day, have a good one!

Rob
Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Jaiwill

Aaaaahhhh....
The penny drops... can now see why your moving along nicely Rob.. Looks like some serious Heli machinery there.. An understanding of the Trans and what each surface does goes a long way.

Always been a fixed wing myself but saying that am looking at the e-flight blade CX type dual blade setup.. Ive heard these are the go for your first heli???
Old 12-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Sorry Rob. I must have read that post wrong. ROB....got it.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 AM
v8torrie

Originally Posted by Jaiwill View Post
Always been a fixed wing myself but saying that am looking at the e-flight blade CX type dual blade setup.. Ive heard these are the go for your first heli???
Yep. Definately a great first heli! Coaxials are the most stable helis there is, as far as my experience has told me. The beauty of that is, you can learn orientation for the heli without too much making it harder. As you would know from flying fixed wing, orientation is the BIGGEST thing to learn. My twister hawk is a coaxial coast guard heli, and it is great for orientation practise! Helis use far more rudder inputs than the majority of planes. You can easily fly most planes with barely any rudder input at all, but helis NEED rudder input! There is an excellent online book called Radds school of flight (google it) and it covers first heli lessons and things to practise. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Having said that though, my heli experience is very limited. I have only recently transferred to forward flight. Spent most of my heli time practising hovering
Rob
Old 12-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Jaiwill

Hi Rob,
Yes rudder is a big thing with helis. You always seem to be on the rudder keeping it straight. Ive been messing around with some helis on realflight getting more and more into it. I can hover and fly around more and more i love the helis now. The coaxials seem too docile, and am flying the dominion 3d and similar...Cant wait to get my own ...Cheers Darren