Radical RC Low Wing Micro Stick Built Thread - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Radical RC Low Wing Micro Stick Built Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Twmaster

Default Radical RC Low Wing Micro Stick Built Thread

I recently got my hands on one of these kits from Radical RC. Super light plane that uses standard micro RC gear that is common and cheap these days.

Thankfully I had all the recommended gear in my parts box and set about building the kit upon arrival.

Let me first say I am not much of a builder. I only recently ever built an all wood kit. Thankfully this is an easy kit to assemble for relatively inexperienced builders like me.

Opened the box, found lots of empty space! (it's small!) The kit consists of three sheets of balsa and one sheet of ply. All laser cut. I should add that the laser cutting is superb. Sorry did not take any pics of the parts. Not much to look at really. Just what I've detailed. The kit included wheels and landing gear wire.

This kit has a couple of really cute touches. First is the machine gun. Amazing detail. It also has an open cockpit with a plywood ring to simulate coaming. I colored these pieces and the pre-cut firewall with a black sharpie marker.

To keep weight down I am going three channel (Throttle/Ailerons/Elevator) control.

I'm going to use Hextronics HXT500 5 gram servos, Blue Arrow 2 cell lipo ESC, GWS 50xc motor with 3x3 prop. I'm also using the recommended Fox-Lite mount for the motor. Receiver will either be a Spektrum AR6000 or a Cox 3 channel 72MHz with ESC if I can find a crystal for it. Energy will come from a Kokam 640mA 2S lipo.

Assembly of the fuse was simple. I had some difficulty understanding the instructions and just kinda gave up and went about building the thing. Low parts count and jigsaw fit make this job a snap really.

The only complaint I can make about the kit was one sheet of wood was very very soft. Almost like contest balsa. The rest of the wood was a bit harder and easier to handle. (Read that as harder for my hamfisted self to keep from breaking)

After basic assembly of the fuse, sanding was a snap with 200 grit paper.
Thus far I have the fuse, rudder and horizontal stab assembled, sanded and covered. I chose to go with some left over Oracover Lite I had sitting around. Red flying surfaces and yellow on the fuse. I'm awaiting the decal kit I ordered from Radical.

Be careful what covering you use and how much heat. I had a warp develop when the covering shrunk more than I wanted.

I have the wing partly built and hope to finish it in the next couple of days.

Until the next installment. Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lwms1.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	86185   Click image for larger version

Name:	lwms2.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	86186  
Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Lookin good, Mike.

I have the Mini Hunter. As soon as I get power to my new 14' X 24' shop, I can finally get all my 15 or so kits built.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Twmaster

Thanks Jim. It's a cute little thing and is going together quite easily.

Humph. 14x24 shop.... Hate. You. Jim. <kidding> <only a little! >
Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looks good Mike.

I think I still have a little bit of a twist in my horizontal stab on my 1MORStick. I also should have taken more time on my wingtips. The last rib on each side leans in from the covering being too tight. I should have taken more time to work the bay side and then the wingtip side to make sure the last rib stayed straight.

Looking forward to more pics .
Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 AM
Twmaster

Thanks James!

I also have one of those 1MoreStick kits I purchased on FeeBay.

I managed to finish assembly of the wing tonight. Hopefully it will get covering tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lwms3.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	86543