GT SkySeeker RTF Extras Included, Trainer - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

GT SkySeeker RTF Extras Included, Trainer

Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Default GT SkySeeker RTF Extras Included, Trainer

This ones perhaps an overlooked trainer, decided to try one of these and very pleased on the results...only 40 inch wing span but indeed will thermal with any discovered lift, cute little guy...

Abit pricey at $149 shipped but look what you get, and not a flimsy foamy here, extremely durable fuselage which I can acknowledge:

Comes with 2 batteries, extra wings, and tails, nice....also DC and AC charger as well...you usually need to cycle the nickel batteries then your ready for some thermal hunting.....

Flight times on mine without lift are about standard around 10 to 15 minutes according to how much throttle and conditions, but hit some lift and oh boy, had just over a 30 minute flight yesterday, not outstanding but the GT showed its stuff here, it needs abit extra lift but the one I was in was hardly strong, nearly missed it as went right thru it, for some reason went back to same area and yep held altitude without power, in a lift zone, did nice tight circling and was up for quite awhile, infact got hot in the sun and ventured for some shade, lost my angle on the narrow thermal zone and she gradually came down...

Near a parkflyer as drops abit more than a standard sailplane but helps on easier landing for the newbie, now able to pop her down near my feet, still not quite up to the hand catch tho certainly with practice within range for a seasoned flyer...

Is this one for a beginner, oh yeah, still need correct launch, mines likely abit nose heavy and some slight held up elevator, tho strong toss with max throttle and any breeze goes right out, touch of elevator as required, and the climb, look out here its a stunner for such a small stocked motor and battery, noses right up, won't hold an extreme attack angle but zooms up in altitude in very short order, a strong plus here with decent height more likely to venture into a nice thermal...

Depending on how well you can use the throttle to your advantage and again conditions, should get near 6 attempts or more on the lift zone, then power gradually runs down, I save a smidgen for tighter turns and coming in for the landing, will deadstick very easily for you provided its intrim, yes, I really like this entry flyer, heard a bystander call it a banana, well, she's nice and yellow but a very decent visual for sure, hi hi..<>..

Nice videos of a neophite 12 year old learning to fly on this sweet flyer, and another thing on this one, the fuselage is very durable, I checked it out with my first maiden flights and thumped it in rather solid, but no damages, another plus, ...here's the video's if you wish to check it out..

http://www.readytoflyfun.com/skgtvi.html
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

2nd thermal just this afternoon, not much luck earlier but I'm not gifted in detecting these invisible updrafts, it went up so well watched closely to not let her go out of site, fortunately stayed below puffy cloud level, hi hi, no idea on the elevation but the wings were becoming a tuff target, love this type of flying from my days of old...<>..was having some slite adjusting going on with the trim and level wing on the fuselage, made simple tape corrections for leveling things...<>..again around 30 minutes, concerned on the battery left as rather small, but upon landing it showed several more strong lengthy bursts left, so guess was around 1/2 battery used, gads...<>..dang, hi hi..<>..checked the size of battery with a FlyZone SkyFly and it was only half physical size on the GT, sure for less weight during lift, does require some wise throttle management for longer flying without lift, but if thermals are present, she'll certainly find it for you...<>..just pay close attention on faster elevation with throttle going and there she is, and up you go...<>..first experinece with extreme altitude will frighten the newbie, simply keep her close overhead, no biggie, nice snug circling, your in !!! Nice thing with stronger lifts, it simply refuses to stall on you, out of the lift zone and a wing likely to drop with too tight on the turns, head back in, it wants to push you out, lower the nose, in she goes, its a treat..<>..

So its a cute performer indeed...<>...parts list on this gentle but durable bird..

http://www.readytoflyfun.com/skgtsotr.html
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

GT Skyseeker Glider, 1st Night Flight:

Simply had to try some Night Flight, actually used dusk, low light level but easy to see the plane, two intensity lights on each wing tip protruding gave the required visual, kept things close, it took off but was slight balance issue slow on right turn, but flew ok, abit windy for so early this morning, made some altitude but again not too far so easy to follow, bright white light on one wing tip and red on the other, it suprisingly lost altitude at times, blamed it on the brisk winds etc, but upon landing checked things and good heavens, wing was reveresed, leading edge at rear, lord amazingly it still flew....it does have abit of under camber on the bottom so sure this helped things immensely to keep things flying, imagine how much easier a flight if I had the wing on correctly, hi hi..great fun...<>...gads...<>..

This ones a keeper, really enjoying it, reminds me of my first glider experience of an old Top Cat model years back, also under camber wing even heavier on the Top Cat, but these both fly great for the trainer experience, easy to get hooked on this type of plane especially after you hit a nice thermal...<>...

The durable fluselage I keep mentioning is absolutely a treat, nearly indestructible, necessary for the newbie...<>..and my gross negligence, hi hi..<>..
Old 10-03-2008, 12:51 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Late evening thermal activity, suprisingly yes, yesterday just over an hour before sunset hand launched the GT into the sky, tho tiny battery it goes up with loads of authority, winds near around 7 to 9 MPH gusts, went thru it like butter...went up well on first pulse, then the 2nd run some lift, held it well tho slowly came down but on the 3rd try it held the elevation with throttle off, had just under 30 minutes of enjoyable flight, winds moved the action away and landings are easy, puff of power if needed for a closer approach, deadsticks with ease...

Some younger onlookers mentioned one had a similar plane...changed batteries and next flight took off, heard a friend asking the one with his plane if his went this high at only 2 treetops high, replied, oh yeah, moments later very fast climb several hundred feet asking does yours go that high, gads no way, continued to find some light thermal activity, near another 30 minute flight, and landed it within 10 feet with ease..onlookers blown away and had to check this one out with a closer look...its a spectacular sunday flyer, climb rate is excellent...BEST ..<>..
Old 10-04-2008, 06:20 AM
lyonsks

Phil:
The Skyseeker was my first serious shot at RC flight. I was learning to fly on my own with help from some good people on these forums. I nicknamed mine the Groundseeker! I would not recommend it as a trainer. It was notorious for tip stalling and spiraling out of control. Granted, I was beginner and was probably doing many things wrong. I would never recommend it as a trainer.

I bought the Slow Stick and learned to fly with that rather quickly.

I am glad that your experience was so positive with it. I do sense, though, that you are an experienced flyer, not a beginner.

Just my 2 cents.
Gary
Old 10-04-2008, 11:16 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Thanks for your input, always very welcome...

My first flights years ago was a Top Cat, similar to the skyseeker, a glider with solid wing and undercamb, and yep mine met loads of ground experiences before finally learning the skills to fly.. these gliders tho fly slow will stall quickly with any wrong inputs, and sometimes not as fast on replying to inputs fool the newbie into super overcontrol, the Topcat was a tuff bird as the Skyseeker, and after weeks of misshaps at last had it flying..and the Skyseeker has a touch of speed to it as also can get the beginner into loads of issues...it is indeed a trainer model, but each of us can have problems on the raw beginner stages...

I would really suggest an instructor regardless of your model chosen, another wonderful option is the nice free FMS simulator, it has a red bird in there that flys very close to the glider and gives the 3 channel performance, infact my better half flew it and kept crashing, next day she made dozens of successful landings to my amazement, my birds are in peril, hi hi...<>..

Free FMS Flight Simulator, STRONGLY SUGGESTED !! No excuse, is FREE !!
http://www.flying-model-simulator.com/
Version 2.0 Beta 7 recommended version is the one I downloaded, the plane to check out in this very nice program is the SilkyWind400, it has amazingly glider charateristics you'll find flying gliders, stalls, tips, all those nasty things as you learn to fly, infact going to fly it now, can't get enough, hi hi..<>..even a simple setup as the Philips twin joystick at Walmarts will give the needed expereince, don't settle for keyboard inputs, they simply won't prepare you for the real thing, gads at least spend $14 bucks for the Phillips PC controller..<>..

If you do master the glider format, your in for a wonderful treat, the art of finding lift or thermals, my topcat even a heavier bird, was up an hour in a strong lift, was so high we reclined in our lawn chair with binocs to make out its wings on the amazing flight, it was a spectacular ride, never foget it...<>..

Last note on the Skyseeker, it will rise and climb very fast, it has a terrific climb rate, it stands right on its tail with full throttle, so nose down is essential during part of its ride or certainly can stall, easy on the controls, make the climb lower at first to gain the feel for this puppie...then your in for some amazing rides...<>..

Finer Notes, mine requires some held up elevator on hand launch will prevent the into the turf experinece, however when airspeed is met as it ventures further out and starts the climb you then release the held upelevator, safe altitude perhaps 100 feet lower the throttle abit for the cruise...

Max performance, after you master the flights, here's where this one stars, even with a small brushed motor and small battery, after reaching 100 feet, max throttle to see what this puppie will do, some up elevator she goes nearly on its tail, loads of left and right held stick to keep it straight on this amazing rocket upward jounery, I find I drop the nose slightly for stability then up elevator for another rocket ride, its up there in very short order, at some decent elevation more likely to find some nice lift for even futher fun, once you find a thermal, throttle off and if you stay in the thermal it will goe even higher, but make sure you can see the wing tips, what a treat...<>...

Last edited by phillipmorris; 10-04-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:50 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Maiden Flights

Really important to have near zero winds at the start, infact try to do this with the itroduction of any new flyer.

Be sure the main wing is seated as well as centered correctly as very impotant for a successful flight, gliders must be balanced, out of the box this one should fly, tho not unusual to add a smidgen of balance on either wing tip to make it match...<>..easy to check, hold the wing upside down with finger tips on center arrows of the main wing, if either side drops, add the necessary weight for correction..<>.

Checking the launch on my newest entry this Skyseeker, reduced throttle slightly on launch, yep she nosed in abit after release, up held elevator and leveled right away with increased throttle went right out, nose comes up with its design so after airpseed slight reduction of throttle and its smooth sailing, had the rare zero winds at sunrise, tho no lift went right up and was fun doing some throtlle off long glides, did not experience any wing tipping, throttled back up for nice altitude several times, easily manages about 5 strong runs for amazing alititude flying, then magnificent gliding, different sound as the battery drops on last run and doesn't lift as quickly, I save some throttle power for landing, for sharp turns if needed at low elevation as I cross pattern for reduced elevation to the landing, have a nice 2 block area, by one block area, nets in the middle as practice soccer field and small ball park latter half, are obstructions but low, manuver just above these for the easy landing, as a past rc glider pilot, this little guy is a trip, what fun..<>..