External BEC solve spektrum rx problems?? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

External BEC solve spektrum rx problems??

Old 07-13-2008, 02:28 AM
borgy

Default External BEC solve spektrum rx problems??

Hi Guys,
I lost a plane a while ago, after speaking with the supplier the conclusion was that the esc went up in smoke which momentarily spiked or dropped the voltage to the rx which was a AR6100 causing it to reboot and resulting in a crash. I know of at least three other people who have lost planes from similar causes with Spektrum RX's. My question is would a external BEC like the park BEC prevent this problem from happening again??

Also when flying an aircraft how long should I wait between flights?? I have a Parkzone T28 and I had a stryker until the above incident, I always basically put one battery through it, felt the esc if it wasn't hot I just through another in and kept flying should I be waiting longer??

B
Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Ohio AV8TOR

The ParkBEC is a very good investment and BEC's are becoming the smart move for Spektrum receivers. A linear BEC which is what ESC's have are not up to the task as well as switching BEC's.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 AM
elcamino
funflyer

on my small foamys 16 oz and under and just useing three small micro servos I have been ok with the bec built into my castle creations speed controls. Any thing bigger than that and i use a seperate bec and I have never had a problem they are cheap insurance.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:08 AM
borgy

Thanks thats what I was hoping to hear.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Why are you blaming it on the rcvr. when it's the ESC that crapped out. A rcvr. on 72 would have crapped out the same way if the ESC went up in smoke. It's the linear regulator in the ESC that's the problem.