good planes for my level......??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

good planes for my level......???

Old 06-30-2008, 03:42 AM
ralph99

Default good planes for my level......???

ok, im new to rc ..i have real flight g3.5 and can fly planes like the nexstar, electristar,skyfly, gas cessna 182, and pretty much all of the planes in that catogory with extreme ease.i got a firebird phantom and could easyly fly it, but i broke the tail boom on landingand noticed the controls wern't responive at all.anyways, i think i want a 4 ch. plane that is under $275...if you think a 3 ch. plane would be more suitable then post them to. thaxoh, and id much rather it be an rtf!!!

Last edited by ralph99; 06-30-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:59 AM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

I have the Hobbyzone SuperCub. It's a great trainer. The steerable tail wheel is a major bonus, and it's incredibly easy to repair after the inevitable crash. Also, there's a huge owner community to draw advice from.
I've heard good things about the Wing Dragon 3 and Wing Dragon 4 (3 and 4 channels, respectively) but I've never seen it fly. Other members will back me up on its beginner-friendliness.
Also consider the GWS Slow Stick, especially if where you live isn't too windy.
If you want to try balsa, check out the Stevens AeroModels Squirt
Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
ralph99

thanks alot frank voikel, i dont think im going tto get a slow stick, because im positibe im ready for somthing faster.BUT, i will definitly look into the wingdragon 4. i like that its got ailerons!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by ralph99 View Post
thanks alot frank voikel, i dont think im going tto get a slow stick, because im positibe im ready for somthing faster.BUT, i will definitly look into the wingdragon 4. i like that its got ailerons!
I don't doubt you, but I think it's better safe than sorry. You'd be better off buying something slower and realizing its not enough than buying something that's more than you can handle and realizing that after you've crashed it.

I don't want to discourage you, but going for something 'fast' isn't the best way to start.

That being said, all of those planes are designed as trainer like airplanes, so something like the wingdragon 4 would probably be just fine.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:42 PM
ralph99

well, i dint mean anything like fast fast but i meant faster than the slowstick.its preettty slow.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Leo L

Hi Ralph,

I would suggest that you go with the SuperCub. Its one of the easiest planes to fly, yet it has decent power, particularly if you get the optional battery. Just don't use the ACT feature.

Assuming that the plane survives your early flights, you can modify it to have ailerons and you can give it a big boost in performance by replacing the motor with a brushless. But all of that's down the road. Get the SuperCub and you'll be spending most of your time flying, rather than repairing and waiting for parts, like you will need to do with most of the other "beginner" planes.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

You can read up on the SuperCub here and the Wing Dragon here or here.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
vq35721

SuperCub with ACT off :-)