Can this power supply power this charger? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Can this power supply power this charger?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
airgyrus

Default Can this power supply power this charger?

I have a power supply from an old Dell. The laptop is long gone and I was going to throw away the power supply but it occurred to me it might be useful for charging RC batteries, but I'm not clear on what voltages/amps are needed or harmful. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Here are my charger and the power supply:

charger:
http://www.tenergybattery.com/index....mart&Itemid=27

power supply:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/717392811.html
Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Note that that charger only does up to 2A so do not expect 1C charges with batts over 2000mAh.

It seems that PS does 18-20V out which would not be good for the charger, typically you want a 12V power supply. Not sure what amps it can put out but it doesnt matter, you dont want that PS for that charger.

Per the desc.

"Input voltage: DC 11V~15V, which can be directly connect to Automobile Battery. The working electric current is less than 6A when it is charged in full load. The current of the fuse is 10A which could prevent short circuit. You can also select a extra Wall Plug AC-DC12V/5A Switching Power as an power source."

It looks like what you want is a 12v AC / 5a switching PS.

https://www.all-battery.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1627
Old 06-12-2008, 09:53 PM
airgyrus

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
Note that that charger only does up to 2A so do not expect 1C charges with batts over 2000mAh.

It seems that PS does 18-20V out which would not be good for the charger, typically you want a 12V power supply. Not sure what amps it can put out but it doesnt matter, you dont want that PS for that charger.

Per the desc.

"Input voltage: DC 11V~15V, which can be directly connect to Automobile Battery. The working electric current is less than 6A when it is charged in full load. The current of the fuse is 10A which could prevent short circuit. You can also select a extra Wall Plug AC-DC12V/5A Switching Power as an power source."

It looks like what you want is a 12v AC / 5a switching PS.

Many thanks! Well I'm glad I asked, sounds like I might have hurt something. Power supply goes to the trash. Or I think I'll take it to the recyclers, maybe there's bad stuff in there. Anyway thank you.