Restoring some of my old models. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Restoring some of my old models.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:15 PM
Tom Sawyer

Default Restoring some of my old models.

Currently restoring some of my old models with the intention of filming them air to air which was not possible for me when they were new. For me is purely a nostalgia trip but has anyone else had any experience of this sort of folly?
Were you pleased to fly them again or do you wish you had left them gathering dust in thier dormant afterlife?
Old 03-15-2020, 12:14 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I have an old Dynam T28 that flew well for a few years. One day I needed some retracts so I pinched them. The plane itself is basically OK but I just tired of it at the time. It is still in my barn covered in dust and I can't bring myself to throw it out. I just don't have the time or energy anymore to spend on it. Maybe one day....
Seems like it was 7 years ago LOL

Better days.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:02 AM
Tom Sawyer

Great videos, love the T28, - the risk of crashing one of my old models is certainly one of the things that puts me off. It would be bad enough with a foamie like the WOT 4 i have just got airworthy again but i have a couple of old kit builds (Ben Buckle Taylorcraft and a Balsacraft hurricane) that between them consumed 3 1/2 years of my spare time at a point in my life when i didnt have any and it wouldnt be easy seeing those in pieces.
Incidentaly, my son has the second generation Parkzone version of the T28 and i have to say its probably the best flying plane we've had.
Even if i dont fly most of them again its still fun putting them back together and remembering the times we had with them.

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 03-15-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:04 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Those videos were taken with an old 808 keycam @ 720 resolution. They came out surprisingly well. I just velcroed the cam to the tailplane. As I mentioned, it was 7 years ago and cams have come a long way since then. It is good to have the memories though.
I went to the trouble of fitting a front gear door on it too.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:20 AM
Tom Sawyer

Now thats clever! Is that some kind of automatic delay or do you have to manually operate? In the meantime I have just ordered some parts to fit flaps on our Parkzone as without them its glide angle is way too shallow making it very difficult to drop back into our little field to land it as the field is very small and surrounded by trees. To land requires flat turns at near stall speeds which is quite hairy at times.
Its fun doing the modifications but i dont have much free time and so do often wish i had bought the E flite version thats already loaded.
Well fit the flaps and if it works well mow and roller a small runway this year and maybe fit retracts as well.

Incidentally do you have any experience with the Dynam cub (48'' span?). Due to our small field my son and I have various E flite Timbers for thier STOL capabi!ities but i personally much prefer scale planes. I have tried to make our Timber X look more scale but have ended up with a bit of a hybrid thats not one thing or the other and so i will probably strip it back and re fit the original lime green decals.

Was thinking of getting a cub and giving it a bush plane makeover. The alternative is the E flite Maule but its a bit big and more than twice the price of the Dynam Cub.

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 03-15-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

This is what you need for the gear door. It takes a bit to work out exactly where to mount the actuating servo and rod and attachment points but worth the effort in the long term.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...en_us_products

As for the Cub, No. I have been building a balsa Cub for several years but the workshop is just too messy to get involved in it at present. LOL

Cheers
Old 03-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Tom Sawyer

Thanks for link, useful bit if kit for sure.

Re the Cub; a kit was another way i was going to go and i would really love to build one but that sort of commitment if not very carefully managed would see the end of my marriage for sure!

Maybe i will still go that route but these ready made foamies just hand it all on a plate.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:06 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
Currently restoring some of my old models ...
How long have the batteries not been used? Tx, Rx, BEC?

Old 03-15-2020, 05:57 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have been dragging out old models .... its interesting how much you forget about each ones character ! Its like maidens all over again.

I have some that I would absolutely cry if I ever smacked them .... but life is life ...
Old 03-15-2020, 07:18 PM
peach

Never did it, but always dreamed! Perhaps a little later Iíll take care of my old friend.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:39 AM
Tom Sawyer

Regarding the batteries one old sanyo 8.4v nicad is nearly 20 years old and its performance is poor despite attempts to cycle it. Its a shame as it would have been nice to use it and keep my set up totally original. I am a bit OCD when it comes to things like that.

My WOT4' s lipo is a 3200 overlander and although it came back to me well under voltage in 2 cells, it actually seems to have recovered well. One or two of my lipos are about 15 years old but are holding storage voltage really well. They have been looked after though and even the most used has probably only been cycled 30 times. My 35mhx TX battery charged back up fine but ive got my eye on them all. The ni cads i know wont last as long before needing top up charges and I dont comletely trust that lipo that had less than 2v on two of its cells but it will be interesting to see as it has been fine on test.

First plane to fly again will probably be tbe WOT4, a bench test even with the original battery suggests i can set my timer for 15 minutes, its a shame i only get half that from my Timbers albiet they are running 3 and 4s 2200s.

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 03-21-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:36 AM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

I have an old Andrews Aeromaster I think I'm gonna rehab and fly.

My dad flew them in the 70's and loved them. I found mine at an estate sale. Haven't flown it yet. I need to convert to electric and recover it with some cool scheme. Here is dads with his Pitts and a P-40 of his.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:44 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Been bringing some planes back I haven't flown in years. A Hobby Lobby Mustang and a Nike hotliner are the two latest.