Out of action for awhile - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Out of action for awhile

Old 08-07-2018, 02:05 PM
Stay Quiet

Default Out of action for awhile

Laid up for awhile while I recover from being hit by a car while riding my bicycle. No broken bones, but my entire left side is either stitched, road rash, or sore. I guess it could have been worse.

The driver was found to be 100% at fault in the collision.

When you're told that you don't bounce back as quickly as you did when you were younger, believe it!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Laid up for awhile while I recover from being hit by a car while riding my bicycle. No broken bones, but my entire left side is either stitched, road rash, or sore. I guess it could have been worse.

The driver was found to be 100% at fault in the collision.

When you're told that you don't bounce back as quickly as you did when you were younger, believe it!

OMG! So sorry to hear. Get well soon.

Let me guess. The driver was either "impaired" or distracted by the cell phone.

Joe
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Wow! Sorry to hear that but glad you are ok!

Heal up well my friend.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Stay Quiet

The driver wasn't impaired, just totally oblivious to his surroundings. Had it not been for the kind woman driving behind him, it would have been a hit and run, with me lying on the road, bleeding. She stopped to see if I was okay, and my first words were "GET HIS PLATE!" She chased him down and he finally turned around. I honestly don't think he even knew he hit me. He and his wife were on their way to church. (Why she didn't see me and warn him is beyond me, too.) He evidently drives by "bird dogging the white line" (his exact words.) Had I not been riding as far right as possible (I did see the car coming from a distance in the rear view mirror I always use on the bike when riding) I'm certain he would have rear ended the bike and run me over, despite the bright blinking red taillight on the seat post. It happened rather quickly, but I think he hit my left arm with the windshield pillar on the car. The bike is, remarkably, pretty much unscathed with the exception of a few scuffs, but I still have to have it professionally checked, as it has a carbon fiber front fork.

And to think I ride to keep myself healthy!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That is scary man. Lucky you weren't hurt much worse.

I have stopped running along roads for that very reason. I never got hit but had a few very close calls, enough to keep me, especially here in the mountains, off the road and on trails.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Ouch. I wish you a fast recovery mate.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:31 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Bummer Paul hope you heal fast.
Up in our area there have been a lot distracted drivers hitting bicyclist, and pedestrians.

A couple where on purpose one was in Boston they caught the driver. The other was my brothers friend was hit on purpose my brother turned around to help and the driver was swearing at them for being in the road. My brother said something to him about sharing the road, and the guy suckered punched him in the head. He had a concussion from the punch.The driver took off but a witness got the plate number, and that man was arrested. He was 70 years old. We joke now about my brother getting beat up by a old man. Be safe out there!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:43 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Dang Paul, sure hate to hear this. Heal quick!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
Bummer Paul hope you heal fast.
Up in our area there have been a lot distracted drivers hitting bicyclist, and pedestrians.

A couple where on purpose one was in Boston they caught the driver. The other was my brothers friend was hit on purpose my brother turned around to help and the driver was swearing at them for being in the road. My brother said something to him about sharing the road, and the guy suckered punched him in the head. He had a concussion from the punch.The driver took off but a witness got the plate number, and that man was arrested. He was 70 years old. We joke now about my brother getting beat up by a old man. Be safe out there!
Yikes! Good old Masshole road rage, I guess.
I've ridden over 800 miles this year to this point. For the most part, every driver I've encountered on the road has been very courteous. They wait patiently until there is room to pass safely, and often times I'll get a wave (with the full hand, not just the middle finger) as they go by. Drivers coming the other way almost always wave and smile.
This guy was just totally oblivious, and I happened to be the unfortunate one he hit. Had it been a small child, a pedestrian, or anything else along the side of the road, he wouldn't have seen them either, and probably would have killed them - but I'm too ornery to die. :-)
Old 08-09-2018, 01:27 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Yikes! Good old Masshole road rage

Paul isn't that the truth. Another cyclist was a victim of a hit and run yesterday out Boston way. I hate it when my wife bikes from our house to the center of town does it every Sat.

Well wishing you a speedy recovery, and keep those thumbs limber for when you can get out flying.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Great that you are healing well. I understand about the slow healing since I am in that age group that heals slowly.

There is not really anything you can do to keep another idiot from hitting you again, since you were vigilant before this one hit you. I would guess that this one does not see well since he was "bird dogging the white line". And his wife must be blind not to see or feel or hear the thump when he hit you.

Keep your spirits up and you will soon be out their flying again.