RCG Sold? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

RCG Sold?

Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

info RCG Sold?

Saw a posting on FB that Jim has sold that site.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Must be true. I read it on the internet!

Jim also started a thread on RCGroups about it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...f-RCGroups-com
Old 07-20-2017, 06:40 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

It would be nice to see them improve moderators pre-active Instead of relying on users to report.... and to remove some of the trouble-makers there.

WF still better !

Nigel
Old 07-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

We know we're better Nigel. unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
We know we're better Nigel. unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't.
I know we would all like to see WF more active - but if it means letting the 'riff-raff' in - then lets stay as we are !!

With increased members - as we see with likes of RCG - great sites get ruined by "keyboard Queens" and self appointed 'Experts' ...

Lets worry more about WF ....

Nigel
Old 07-20-2017, 04:16 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

AMEN NIGEL fdnyjery aka Jerry
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I know we would all like to see WF more active - but if it means letting the 'riff-raff' in - then lets stay as we are !!

Lets worry more about WF ....

Nigel
Too late mate... I'm already in...
Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

That explains the even laxer moderating over there letting the predators control and destroy good threads without any recourse at all. it's a jungle over there and definitely anti-intellectual bullying there all the time. You don't dare try to help someone or you get pummeled by some punk accusing you of playing God. A good thread on how to land devolved into "just land and if you're not smart enough to do that don't ask." It's really a shame and I hope the new owners can straighten up the place or just direct all the real people over here.

It's a rough place and importing the ruffians isn't what Wattflier needs!

Here, Nigel and I can be on opposite sides of a pretty opinionated conversation and remain friends because Wattflier is that kind of place!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:52 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Exactly ....

Funny thing is when WF is mentioned - we are labelled DIY people who cobble things together !

RCG suffers lack of moderation - the sheer size of the place makes it difficult I know, but some posts are just downright insulting and Neanderthal. Mods just seem to let things go unless reported.
I've even been penalized for reporting one of the 'old boys' .....

I got a real ticking off for criticizing one for posting rubbish, basically I was told that because he was around in the thread from year 'dot' he was respected and I should not upset him !

RCG has definite cliques - that gang up on another. But thats because of the lazy moderation.

Wattflyer will hopefully remain the great place it is - few more members would be nice !!

Nigel
Old 07-22-2017, 04:08 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Exactly ....

Funny thing is when WF is mentioned - we are labelled DIY people who cobble things together !
Nigel
And LOVING it!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Vic Z

I go on both sites and like them both for different reasons.
For the most part, I like many of the people on here better, but I have to admit that there is more activity and interaction on RCG. This place has been kind of snoozy as of late.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
I go on both sites and like them both for different reasons.
For the most part, I like many of the people on here better, but I have to admit that there is more activity and interaction on RCG. This place has been kind of snoozy as of late.
I too frequent RCG ... along with various others. But it really is a job sometimes to sift out the good from the 'self-appointed idiot expert !' ...

Nigel
Old 07-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Vic Z

That is an issue here as well. I just block those that are continually arrogant or high and mighty.
No reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. Lots of good people on this one.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
That is an issue here as well. I just block those that are continually arrogant or high and mighty.
No reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. Lots of good people on this one.
I don't block - even they have good info at times. Just have to separate the chaff.

WF being a smaller community means less likely to have conflicts / bad times ... so for me ... WF is a relaxing change from the harshness of other sites.

Nigel
Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Vic Z

I am sure that you know who I blocked. Yes he had some good info, on occasion. Just wasn't worth the hassle to put up with the crap. Haha
Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I have seen a few people disappear in the last couple of years.
I always got a laugh out of Fishy with his constant crashes and sometimes not very aesthetic repairs.
Then there is CHELLIE. Full of good information and went out of her way to help anyone who needed it. Haven't seen her post for ages. She did post in May this year so maybe she has 'burned out' a bit?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:37 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Chellie --- Lass with a golden heart.

I wonder if the evolution of the model has something to do with it being quiet here ? So many models today are basically take finished bits out of box - quick glue and plug together ... go fly.
Many of them take away the decision making on setups etc.
Also the throw away style when things break or don't work.

As many know - I am one of those that just doesn't throw anything away. So WF suits me I reckon !

Nigel
Old 07-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Vic Z

Guys are still flying, adjusting, tuning, and improving techniques. They just don't seem to want to talk about that here. I have posted a few general reports about an outing with little response.
Questions are usually answered, but a little more general fellowship would be nice. There are a few guys who almost always chime in, and they are the ones that keep me here.
Maybe I'm just an attention
Old 07-29-2017, 08:11 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Moderating is a challenging task. How to contribute to the discussions without taking them over. How to "adjust" the problem posters without being too restrictive.

My personal practice has always been to leave things alone as much as possible and let the members manage the flow. When that fails I try to step in. And I look for the members to call for help when they see a problem. I can't read or follow every thread.

Maybe that isn't the right approach but it is mine.

As for RCG, I hang out over there in the glider/sailplane section as it is very active and that is my other main mode of flying. I am not into drones or quads or helicopters. I don't fly fast or aerobatic planes. I am into gliders of all forms as well as electric aircraft.

So, for me, each forum has its value and I am happy to be a member of both.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:56 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

AEAJR : Very nicely put, I feel the same as you but here in good old Florida its getting harder and harder to find an adequate space to fly ,even small gliders. This W/E I took myself a ride down thru the middle of the state. There is area after area that would make a great flying fields ...trouble is it' a 2 hour ride to get to the good stuff from the Orlando area and their again you have to jump thru all the county Hoops and they know there quickest response to get rid of you is JUST SAY NO.The Orlando Buzzards have a field in Christmas ,Florida but I hear the county just put up a number of Soccer Nets on their flying field. :o(( oh well what you going to do ?? fdnyjery
Old 07-31-2017, 07:08 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by fdnyjery View Post
AEAJR : Very nicely put, I feel the same as you but here in good old Florida its getting harder and harder to find an adequate space to fly ,even small gliders. This W/E I took myself a ride down thru the middle of the state. There is area after area that would make a great flying fields ...trouble is it' a 2 hour ride to get to the good stuff from the Orlando area and their again you have to jump thru all the county Hoops and they know there quickest response to get rid of you is JUST SAY NO.The Orlando Buzzards have a field in Christmas ,Florida but I hear the county just put up a number of Soccer Nets on their flying field. :o(( oh well what you going to do ?? fdnyjery
The joy of Wattflyer is that we can learn so much about electric power systems. And when one applies that to gliders we create a soaring machine that has all the joy of soaring with the convenience of electric launch.

No winch, no hi-starts. No spinning to throw the DLG. And no need to look for a slope.

Since you have a motor you can launch from a small area and manauver well enough to land on a small field. You can "go around" if there is something in your way. And you are less likely to put it in a tree because the wind kicked up.

When I teach people to fly electric airplanes I always teach them to glide too.
This gets them flying on the wing rather than the prop. And unlike glow planes where the motor has to idle during a training glide, electrics can be turned off and a brake applied to stop the blade from spinning so it doesn't kill the glide too much. Then you can restart.

So the joy of multiple communities is that you can learn from each and share from each. I wish we had a more active e-glider community here.

My online book, "EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT" is not posted at RCG. However, I have referenced it many times on RCG. I am sure that has sent people here.

I hope that RCG is managed well under new management. I have seen forums killed by such changes. RCU, to my observation, has become a ghost town. I used to be a moderator there too but it went so dead that I resigned the position. I don't know what keeps it going. Maybe the glow and gas sections are still going strong.

But let us rejoice in Wattflyer. And let's do what we can to bring people here because it is such a great place to learn and to share the wonderful experience of electric powered flight.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 PM
Vic Z

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Moderating is a challenging task. How to contribute to the discussions without taking them over. How to "adjust" the problem posters without being too restrictive.

My personal practice has always been to leave things alone as much as possible and let the members manage the flow. When that fails I try to step in. And I look for the members to call for help when they see a problem. I can't read or follow every thread.

Maybe that isn't the right approach but it is mine.

I don't think that it is a mod problem at all. I think that many people on here are clique ish, or lazy, or maybe they just don't want to be a part of the community.
I know of a few who have been run out of here, but I'm a little thicker skinned than that.
There are some good peeps here. I take the good, block a couple, and leave the rest
Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

I just hope RCG doesn't end up like RCU did. A once great site that is nothing for me now.

As for RCG/Wattflyer, I see WF as my flying club buddies. RCG is where I tend to go if I'm looking for technical problems I have. Here it's an easy going fun place, there you have to be careful of who's toes you might step on.