How can I charge my Lipo with a Hobbico Quick Field Charger? Help! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

How can I charge my Lipo with a Hobbico Quick Field Charger? Help!

Old 05-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Bowhunterhd

Default How can I charge my Lipo with a Hobbico Quick Field Charger? Help!

I 'm very new to electrics. I have a Thunderpower 1320 mah battery with a Hacker controller that I plan on charging with my Hobbico Quick Charger which is ok to use with Lipos , so the manual says. The question I have is....how do I hook up the charger The connecter on the Thunderpower has a bigger plug with 4 wires and of course the Hobbico has the standard leads for regular nicads and nimh. So I cant see how I'm going to be able to charge the Lipo. Please tell me how to charge the Thunderpower with the Hobbico Quick Charger. Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
HermitRiver
"I fly, therefore I am"

Originally Posted by Bowhunterhd View Post
I 'm very new to electrics. I have a Thunderpower 1320 mah battery with a Hacker controller that I plan on charging with my Hobbico Quick Charger which is ok to use with Lipos , so the manual says. The question I have is....how do I hook up the charger The connecter on the Thunderpower has a bigger plug with 4 wires and of course the Hobbico has the standard leads for regular nicads and nimh. So I cant see how I'm going to be able to charge the Lipo. Please tell me how to charge the Thunderpower with the Hobbico Quick Charger. Thanks
Bow. You sure you are not looking at the balancing lead and not the power lead? The balancing lead has 4 wires on most 2s, including the Tp1320 Power leads aka charging leads should be seperate and have a red and a black lead, with a small red polarity conscious plug (JST conn I believe) or may not have a plug in which case you solder one on. I use the same charger as you, you buy banana plugs with a battery plug to plug in the "battery terminals not volt terminals" then plug the battery into that lead. Press 3 times to get green led, be sure to set current to 1c first and charge. I let it go until it beeps and blinks. Hermit
Old 05-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

You are definitely looking at the balancing lead. That is where you would plug in a balancer, or a balancing charger. The Hobbico QFC is NOT a balancing charger.

Charge through the "discharge" lead, and put a balancer or balancing charger on your Christmas list. Your packs will thank you for it.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Bowhunterhd

Ok, So I'll have to make up a lead with a soldered on Deans male connecter on one end then banana plugs on the other? So I can plug it into the Hobbico Quick Field Charge. I think I got it now. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:28 AM
HermitRiver
"I fly, therefore I am"

Bow.. Yup, you got it. Any type of plug you prefer on the ends of the bananas that is the same throughout all your gear. Best is to stay consistent with it all, if possible. Deans is good. Be polarity conscious but deans, pins, jst any conns whatever you like that carrys the amperage. I wish they were all standard anyway and a balancer to fit any battery. Hermit
Old 05-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Bowhunterhd

Thanks all. I'm on the right track now..I'll be getting a balancer soon. I cant beleive they all dont go with a universal connector. Bow
P.S. Hermit, not to get off the subject, but I checked out your website. Nice knives! I'll have to get ahold of you sometime. I'd like to have a nice little patch knife for my Lyman round ball muzzleloader.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:30 PM
HermitRiver
"I fly, therefore I am"

Originally Posted by Bowhunterhd View Post
Thanks all. I'm on the right track now..I'll be getting a balancer soon. I cant beleive they all dont go with a universal connector. Bow
P.S. Hermit, not to get off the subject, but I checked out your website. Nice knives! I'll have to get ahold of you sometime. I'd like to have a nice little patch knife for my Lyman round ball muzzleloader.
Thanks Bow. Funny you mentioned patch cutters. They have been on my mind for 2-3 weeks now. E me off the website or PM me, you'll have the cutter of your dreams. Oh yea, nothing beats a patch ball!
Yes I would love to see a good balancer takes all batts. More I look it isn't as magical as it seems. We may have to order a mess of plugs but I think we can make a few adapters and be all set. Hermit
Old 05-28-2006, 05:34 AM
arck

Default ??

Could we charge the Lipo battery thru the discharge lead?,,,,!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by arck View Post
Yes. That is how you charge it.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:14 PM
HermitRiver
"I fly, therefore I am"

Originally Posted by arck View Post
Likw Rugar mentioned, it's the same lead. There is controversy on wether lipos need to be discharged and stored like nicad, nimh etc. I just fly em and charge em. Once charged I put a rubber band on them to know if they are charged or not. Hermit
Old 05-28-2006, 03:13 PM
max-nix
max-nix

Deans ultra plugs are the connectors of choice, use the female on the battery . If you look very closely at the plug you will see the male contacts identified as + and -. If you follow this polarity you will avoid future fiascoes.