Need help with a field box. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Need help with a field box.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Cool Need help with a field box.

Hello,

Since I'm new to this electric stuff, I'm not sure if this is in the right category or not. It seems like every time I go out to fly, I think of something else I should have brought along. Does anyone have a general list of things you should take along to the field for flying and minor repairs? I know things like props and wrenches are high on the list but I'm sure there are a lot of other items that would come in handy.

Looking forward to input.

Tom
Old 02-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

That's pretty much how we all have built up our field boxes over the years... Even though we think we have everything we could possibly need at the field, it seems like we always end up needing something else.

The contents of your field box will reflect the type of plane you fly. For example, if you fly foamies, you'd want to have a tube of 5 minute epoxy and tape in addition to the requisite wrenches, screwdrivers, spare props, CA and kicker, etc..

What you don't want to do is bring too much with you. Not only does the box get heavy and cluttered, you end up being tempted to quick-fix problems at the field that really should be done "right," back home in the shop.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default "Field Box"

Hi Tom, Welcome to Electric Flying! I'd guess you're going to get a lot of replies, this is a very good question. I've seen flyers that bring everything, if they could bring the whole shop, they would. Others come out with their plane, transmitter and a battery in their pocket. They end up borrowing stuff from the first guy! Most of us are in the middle but I lean towards the minimilist approach; If a repair is going to take too much equipment or time, I fly another plane! Of course, if you have only one plane, that's not a solution. Anyway, here's what I bring;
Needle-nose pliers, Nut "Drivers" in Metric sizes
Jewelers' Screwdrivers, small Phillips and Straight
Set of Allen wrenches, Metric and Standard
Hypodermic of oil for motors (hobby shop has this in "Car" section)
"Foam Safe" CA
5-Minute Epoxy, Toothpicks
Small (3" X 5") plastic box (Fishing type, compartmented) with assorted servo screws, servo arms, clevis and control horns, wood screws, pins, prop adaptors and collets, machine screws, nylon bolts, razor blade
Lots of Props
Extra Batteries
Scotch Tape
Rubber Bands
Now if you're bringing a field charger too, the list gets longer; Adaptors for whatever plugs used, Field Battery and Charger.
It all should fit into an easily-carried box, I have the type with the yokes or cradles on the handle so the plane I'm working on sits higher.
That's my list, maybe I'm not a minimalist after all!
Ron
Old 02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks for the quick response. In the old days when I flew glow, seems like I darn near needed a U-Haul to get all my stuff to the field. I went out yesterday to fly and all I had was my plane, transmitter extra battery and field charger. I felt naked. I'm kind of a minimalist too and totaly agree that you don't want to hurry a field repair that should be done at home. I was thinking more in line of a plastic tackle box with the necessary stuff. The planes I have are a PZ J-3 Cub and a PZ P-51. The biggest problem I have right now is that I'm going nuts wanting to get out and fly but it always seems to be windy on the weekends. It's 70 degrees here today but we have 30 mph winds gusting to 40 mph.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
Old 02-27-2006, 08:42 PM
N3CLI
Retired Pharmacist

Default Tom

Move to Florida.
We fly almost every day!

Good luck to you with your electrics, they are great!

Fred
Old 02-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

That's just wrong! Last week it was 15 degrees and calm. This week its 70 and windy. I love this electric stuff although I think my wife is going to hate it shortly. She doesn't understand that it really is a recognized medical condition that spreads rapidy. Seems to spread to the wallet really fast.

So many planes..........so little money.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:01 PM
flyranger
I Crash Things!!

I bring my planes, batteries and transmitters. A rag to wipe the snow and water off the wings. A "tweaker" in my pocket for trim adjustments (has a phillips head on one end and a small flat blade on the other) and a big grin on my face!! Thats all!!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:52 AM
BillM

I take my airplanes and the appropriate transmitters and batteries. I keep a couple of chargers in my car at all times. My "tool kit" consists of a phillips head screw driver and a flat screw driver. A roll of transparent tape and a box of rubber bands. All save the xmitters and batteries and planes stay in the car.
I won't do field repairs because it is far too easy to miss something hat can cause even more damage if not repaired. Only small holes in the covering are fixed at the field. as a result I don't carry and glues or epoxy.

BM
Old 02-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
I guess I'm in the overkill catagory.
For a days flying I bring:
Flight box:
Ca, both thin and foam safe, and kicker.
Tape; strapping, clear packing, electrical, and vinal hinge tape.
Plyers; slip joint, long needle nose, round nose, dikes, short needle nose.
Screwdrivers; phillips, 1,2,3, Standard 1,2,3, along with micro "jeweler's.
small socket set (quarter inch stud)
Allen drivers metric and standard with nifty ratchet handle.
Prop reamers, taperd and stepped.
Wire stripper/clipper
Soldering iron, solder, paste flux, gas for iron.
flashlight so I can see down long dark fuses.
Props
wire
plugs (electrical connectors)
clevises
pushrods
control horns, servo horns, ez connectors
kabob skewers, coffee stir sticks, carbon fiber sticks.
prop adaptors/prop nuts
nuts, bolts, screws, washers, any other kind of fasteners I can think of.
gear box parts; gears, shafts, bearings.
Servo gear sets and even a coupla replacement servos (for slope combat).
needle and carpet thread, hey, you never know.
Band aids, Neosporin ointment, latex gloves, sun block, bug spray, baby wipes.
rubber bands in various sizes.
velcro

Battery box (ammo case):
Triton charger, Astro 110 delux. Multiplex charger.
Flight batteries, spare transmitter batteries, spare reciever batteries.
extra plastic bags for more batteries (sometimes I find lost batteries and I keep all of my batteries in seperate plastic bags).

Transmitter cases:
One for each transmitter although I'm slowly switching everything over to my Evo 12.

Lunch box, never mind what I eat for lunch

Now I don't fix every little thing at the field if I can avoid it, as has been said some things are best done in the shop, but I do like being able to fix anything at the field and I go out for the whole day when I go, and this set up covers everything. Also I don't have to repack for those weekend long fly ins...
RobII
Old 03-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Originally Posted by N3CLI View Post
Move to Florida.
We fly almost every day!

Good luck to you with your electrics, they are great!

Fred
No - Move to South Africa.

Fly each weekend and and good ones, both days.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I think I could convince my wife to move to Florida. South Africa may be stretching it a bit.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
BillM

Elfwreck
Sounds good but I don't own an 18 wheeler.

BM
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Neither do I.
I get all that plus:
Deep drain RV battery, hat, coat, sun glasses, CDs, thermos of coffee, camera, binoculars, climbing rope with grapple, folding chair (gotta be comfy), snacks, drinks in cooler, safety meeting supplies, book (for reading during squalls at the slope), and sometimes r/c car stuff, just cuz...
Then there's the models:

Epower:
Mini Funtana
Mini Edge 540
FFF 3D bipe home built (right now two of these, the older design for foamie combat)
Zen 30
small hot rod like Avionik or this week Twin Jet
and sometimes a Magic or other e-models.

Slope soarers:
Millinium (3m racer)
Zagi 5C combat model
U2 Pss lead sled monster (61" span 30 oz wing loading)

All of this in a Porsche 928.
How does he do it?
Why does he do it?
RobII
Ya just gotta wanna...
Old 03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
BillM

Elfwreck
Since I am not adept at making blivets I shall continue to emulate Old Blue Eyes and do it my way.
I do envy your ability to pack so much into whatever it is you pack it into. In my neck of the woods you are a travelling hobby shop.
Well as my fellow Romans used to say

WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO FLY SALUTE YOU

BM
Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
I manage to pack it all in, cuz I need to. I live thirty miles from my favorite field and tend to spend all day there. Also with our micro climates I can't tell what the weather is going to be like, so I gotta be prepared for almost anything.
Um, I drive the little sports car cuz it was free to me (I love free!), I'd rather have a nice Dodge van, anybody want to trade a solid Dodge van for a Porsche 928?
I also figure on sharing my tools etc with the guys who don't bring anything but their model and radio.
RobII
Old 03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
BillM

Elfwreck
Been there and done that when I flew fuel. Now that I fly only electric I try to limit my cargo to the bare essentials.
I drive a compact so I also have limited space. I'm centrally located to 3 fields all within 15 miles of home. There are 15 established fields within 50 miles of my home and I visit some of them annually. Those are the days I sometimes wish I carried a few more goodies.

BM
Old 03-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Piperfan

You are still going to need something to carry it all in. Traditional glow field boxes are not really suited for eflite. I use a Plano Tackle box found at better fishing supply sporting goods stores. I got mine at Outdoor World. Its got 3 pull out cases and a flip top that is large enough to hold my transmitter and charger. To really get the hang of things you will have to experiment with what to bring. Its nice to have a duplicate set of tools at home and in the field box. I use mine in both locations. I have forgotten something I need every once and a while but that happens. It does get heavy with to much in it but at least I know if I have a minor mechanical or other issue I don't have to drive home to get it. good luck
Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I was thinking along the same lines with a plastic tackle box. I don't mind having duplicate sets of the basics so I'm not always having to load and unload stuff. I like to be able to stash and go when the weather's right. It can chage quickly here. We have a saying that "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change".

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Ozzieflyer
Repel Gravity

Hi Guys,

Good question Wings! My personal kit is probably on the high side of gear :-

Spare Tx battery
Spare props
Tape
Epoxy
CA - Thin and medium
Wattmeter
Assorted screwdrivers and nutdrivers
Spare ESC
Spare motors (GWS IPS and GWS LPS)
7Ah Lead Acid battery
Swallow charger,
Spare flight batteries (Lipo)
Spare Tx and Rx crystals
GWS Gear puller
Assorted balsa and bamboo for repairs

This sounds quite a lot but I use this at indoor meets so cannot use the car battery fr charging. All this fits, with Tx in a medium/large plastic tool box. I usually take three planes - GWS Pico Tigermoth, Little Babe and a scratch built Horsefly, all using GWS motors and various sized Lipos.

Never needed it all but would really frustrate me if I needed it and didn't have it. I can only fly at the indoor meets at the moment, which are held once a month, and would really feel it if I had to pack up early.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 AM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

I 2nd the tackle box idea. I use an old plasic Plano that I found in the trash and I jazzed it up with left over decals.
I also picked up a couple of plasic divided boxes at the dollar store to keep small nuts and screws in and they fit nicely in the bottom of the box.
One thing I have in mine that I haven't seen anyone else mention is a small cheap DVM.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Whats a DVM? (Maybe digital volt meter?) Don't laugh, rember, I'm new to this electric stuff. I'm used to gas so you guys are speaking a foreign language on a lot of this stuff. If you wanna talk pistons, rods, glow plugs etc, I'm ok. Oh sorry........wrong forum.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:24 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by Wingswithwatts View Post
Whats a DVM? (Maybe digital volt meter?) Don't laugh, rember, I'm new to this electric stuff. I'm used to gas so you guys are speaking a foreign language on a lot of this stuff. If you wanna talk pistons, rods, glow plugs etc, I'm ok. Oh sorry........wrong forum.
Good guess!
I carry one that I picked up for $3 at the Harbor Freight grand opening here. It may be an el-cheapo one but it help me diagnose a bad solder joint in a lipo pack in the field once.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:05 AM
meatball

Hey ElfWreck Ill trade you a ROCK solid 86 Chevy Van that needs a new paint job for that shiny 928

Hasnt broke down yet, and it has an interesting tool patterned carpeting thats 3D, gets annoying to walk over sometimes...
Old 03-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Tailspin Ken

I think the amount of stuff one packs in the flight box is directly proportinate to how far away the field is located.
Also, I have to agree with Matt's observation. When you take too much gear and have a mishap, iIthink there is the tempation to make "get it back in the air " repairs instead of doing the repairs properly.
All that being said, my field is at the end of the street. I take a screwdriver. If that can't fix the problem, I figure the plane needs to go back to the house for repairs.
Ken
Old 03-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Right now I take extra batteries, car chargers, props and wrenches and rubber bands for the J3 wing. Our field is 10 minutes away so I'm afraid I would try to make a hastily repair if I had the stuff there to do it with.

Quick Reply: Need help with a field box.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10242 seconds with 12 queries