Typical Flight Characteristics of BCX2? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Typical Flight Characteristics of BCX2?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Monty777

Default Typical Flight Characteristics of BCX2?

Howdy from no man's land...

After lurking in the e-heli section for quit some time, I dropped the hammer and went with the CX2 for the price and praise most of you here give it. I have gone through about 16 flights and am becoming more comfortable with flying it. Having come from the mostly two dimensional movement of nitro street cars (forward, back, left, right.... or up and down on a really bad day), the heli took some getting used to... but I think I might be hooked. For the rest of the post, my grammer may be incorrect for helicopters, so feel free to correct me. I wont cry too much.

Enough rambling, on to the purpose of my post. I have noticed that my BCX2 has different flight characteristics, depending on which way the aileron is being used. If I want to quickly kill my forward momentum, I find that a hard right on the aileron and hard right on the rudder will scrub the speed almost instantaneously. If I do the same but use left aileron and left rudder, I end up facing the right way, but still drifting in the original direction. Also, I find that I can do a nice lazy circle with the nose continuously pointed at what would be the center of that circle using very light forward elevator, a little left aileron, and a little left rudder. It is difficult to explain but cool to do. For those who have played Battletech, it could be described as "THE CIRCLE OF DEATH". However, trying to do the same manuever using right aileron and right rudder, I end up all over the place, and mostly out of control. Are these differences in flight characteristics due to the torque of the rotors? Is my heli set-up incorrect? I have balanced the swashplate to the point where I need little to no trim in hover, and my gain & proportional pots are set correctly. I have made no upgrades as of yet.

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated
Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Welcome to the forums.

You are finding that helis are a whole different kind of animal.

They sure are fun, however.

I haven't tried that 'circle of death' that you mention but I will soon.

I think it may just be due to the way that the swash plate
interacts with the lower rotor and the flybar with top rotor.

Nor sure of the aerodynamics but I think that's a pretty good guess.

The CX2 is a FUN machine to learn on and get used to the orientation
needed to fly helis. Practice hovering with the tail in to start so right=right and left=left for now. Then work on side in hovers and finally nose in.

Then you are ready to 'graduate' to a fixed pitch or a collective pitch heli
and then your hooked for sure.

Stop back often and bring your questions with you.......you'll find that we
are all quite friendly and willing to help

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Ideally the helicopter has neutral handling from left to right.

The CX2 is strange the top blade is not effected by cyclic and the lower one is this might be the cause for some of the dissymetry your experiencing when your adding rudder.

You see if you add a cyclic tilt and at the same time add rudder so the bottom blade speeds up and the top blade slows down, you should speed up cyclic input. The opposite is true if you give opposite rudder so the top blade speeds up and the lower cyclic blade slows down your helicopter should lose cyclic control ability causing the helicopter to go into what position it was originally pointed.

Ideally a CX heli would have 2 swashes and both upper and lower blades would tilt together but the mechanical complexity to do it at such a small scale isn't worth it not to mention much more will break during a crash and it would make the CX more complicated than a CP machine.

With a CP heli there's a whole other bag of tricks however loss of cyclic input is not often one of them unless you cut throttle. Flying left in does feel different from right in but mostly that's because CP helicopters will always fly slightly tilted to the right when in hover so left in the heli will want to drift towards you and right in away from you.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

I love how you say a particular movement can scrub speed on a CX, I never had the ability to train on a CX before going to a CP.

All I know is newton's law, an helicopter in motion will stay in motion sometimes even when it meets the ground....

but now that I have mastered fast forward flight and slow forward flight (much harder for me), there's no turning back I'm already flying nap of the earth at the hills in the park. I managed to wear my first motor down to the bare copper (brushes gone) I call that the first milestone :-)
Old 08-13-2007, 04:11 AM
singingperry

What is thy bidding, my master?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Monty777

Wrong thread perhaps singingperry?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 AM
singingperry

I was responding to Vortex's cp comments. I just dream of the day (year actually) when I can spend that much time on a cp, drooling over the new e-flight heli coming out in the fall, probably will have to wait till tax refund time, unless the woman whos been trying every trick in the book to get me to pop the question figures out the way to MY heart.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:38 AM
theecoop

I noticed on the cx2 i had that when appling left or right rudder that one direction seemed to take away lifting power and if held in one direction to long the heli would drop fast. IMO it takes lift power away from one of the rotors
Old 08-15-2007, 04:02 AM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

In theory, it shouldn't.....when you apply rudder control, it speeds up one blade and slows the other one.

If you are loosing lift, then something might be binding a bit.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Originally Posted by singingperry View Post
I was responding to Vortex's cp comments. I just dream of the day (year actually) when I can spend that much time on a cp, drooling over the new e-flight heli coming out in the fall, probably will have to wait till tax refund time, unless the woman whos been trying every trick in the book to get me to pop the question figures out the way to MY heart.

Lol to be fair it too a full year of off and on flight to achieve this no brush. I usually only fly once a week as I do not have that much time either however I'd assume that once you mastered a hover and truly keep the motor running the entire batt the brushes goes quicker.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:10 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Originally Posted by Heli Jim View Post
In theory, it shouldn't.....when you apply rudder control, it speeds up one blade and slows the other one.

If you are loosing lift, then something might be binding a bit.
Maybe a combination of increased lower rotor speed lowered upper rotor speed and loss of angle of attack due to cyclic could drop the heli?