Supercub maiden - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Supercub maiden

Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM
penguin
supercub owner

Default Supercub maiden

After opting for a wii at Christmas my plane had to be delayed until my birthday (a mere week ago). so after ordering it Tuesday evening it arrived to day.
construction went well, although the tail seems a little loose.

so I went for my maiden flight, which went ok, although I got a bit panicky and 'landed' it quickly.
after a few more attempts all was well until I had the 'bright idea' of trying a few stunts - so i went for a loop - although forgot to switch ACT off so it nose dived into the ground, taking out one of the prop blades and cracking the cowl, otherwise no harm done.

the rudder seems to have a mind of its own, even when aligned with the transmitter trims - any suggestions?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Perhaps a little more detail about the loose tail. That could well be the problem.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Leo L

Add epoxy and clear packing tape to make the rudder firm. If the servo is causing it to move without any input from you, it could be a damaged servo or a damaged receiver. Swap the rudder and elevator servo wires at the receiver and power it up. If the rudder is still acting up, then its the rudder servo. if the elevator is now acting up, then its the receiver. If everything is working OK, then it was a loose connection.

DO NOT USE ACT! Many more planes have crashed from its use than have been saved by it.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:25 PM
penguin
supercub owner

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Perhaps a little more detail about the loose tail. That could well be the problem.

the screws underneath wont go in all the way so the hoz. stabilizer is slightly loose.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Hi Penguin, I had the same problem with the horizontal and vert stab on my cub. It was really really loose. I just got a bigger screw driver and honked down on the screws. It took me awhile but I got them to tighten down. You really have to use some force
Old 04-21-2007, 07:10 PM
penguin
supercub owner

thanks, that one supplied has very little grip and justs slips, i need to find one with a thin shaft but larger grip
Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

I forget how I got mine so tight, I think I just got mad ad pushed as hard as I could and turned very slowly.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Twister65

When I was building my Cub last night, I had some difficulty in getting the rudder posts all the way through the tail. I think it wasn't aligned properly, so it couldn't get a good seating in the plastic piece under the fuselage tail before I put the screws in. Make sure it's all the way in, and flush with the tail before putting the screws in.

Scott
Old 04-22-2007, 01:31 PM
penguin
supercub owner

I found a decent screwdriver and it went it lovely, the hoz. stabilizer is now nice and secure.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Good to hear penguin! Yeah now that I think of it I had to use pretty big screwdriver.

I'm sorry to say this but my cub is pretty much Killed In Action. I was flying it yesterday all was going good till I clipped a flag pole with my left wing. What a sight! The wing broke fuselage broke, servo arms broke and of course the prop broke!

It was the only pole around and I managed to hit it oh well, I'm going to try to fix it up.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:01 PM
penguin
supercub owner

bad luck, hope you can fix it.

I know people say how durable it is, but after a few crash landings (some including flips) I'm surprised how much of a beating it takes. the only damage it has had is from a nosedive which took out the prop and cracked the cowl.

Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
DO NOT USE ACT! Many more planes have crashed from its use than have been saved by it.
I thought you were some hardcore grass roots guy who doesn't believe in electronic assistance - I apologize, you are completely correct, I've stopped using it and it fly's much smother and more obediently.

The damage after the nosedive (3rd flight - during first 'session' of flights) - you can also see the spare prop on the front
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo0014.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	28996  

Last edited by penguin; 04-22-2007 at 07:18 PM.