e-flite apprentice rival for Supercub? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

e-flite apprentice rival for Supercub?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Agree its big for a Parkflyer but...just shortly down the road, oh man...<>..this puppie turns on a dime, yes it glides but throttle off comes home very close to handling of the Cub..<>..amazing deadstick capability as the Cub, both do excellent here..<>..

Wow, nice list of planes you have there, I love the Trojans handling for a low wing, amazing infact...

Yep at entry the Apprentice is perhaps upper end of a parkflyer, and with the ailerons and all perhaps a step up for the newbie including the price tag, but flown this one near dozen times now and can say its not far off from a true parkflyer as my confidence builds, its a very easy trainer, but after some flights I find it easy to fly in a narrow vacant parking lot during the early AM hours, even the Super Cub strongly suggest at least a Football size area on the learning curve during the maiden flights, never enough room at this stage....

Only error I made on flying this one is slightly low throttle on take off, yep brushless motor is effective on take offs, still require some airspeed for correct handling, finding right at 2/3'rd throttle is the sweet spot, even then it can rise quickly for you if needed, nice !! Those not familiar with brushless will likely nose even this one up too far and with added input errors to a stall, just go easy on the elevator and its very manageable...

I'm going to do close-in tho with some elevation flying now as won't be long for the Night Flight experience as one of the reasons I wanted this one..Size its all here...am ecstatic...BEST ..<>..
Old 08-27-2008, 04:52 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Been awhile since Night Flights, last was with the Super Cub, anxious to try this with the Apprentice, did some simple velcro mounting using high intensity lights, not enough yet on the underwing, did a early dusk to check things, Apprentice flew easily wanted to see how it handles with added intensity lights, perhaps in morning before dawn..had three nice bright lights on the upper wing and fuselage, amusingly these are not visible during the flight until landing, however thankful you have these if conditons are dark when she noses down and comes in at ground levels...as the lower lights then extinquish from view as well hidden..<>..strongly suggest to do some twilight flights to check things out...<>..BEST ..<>..
Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Well, pulled off my first Night Flight on the Apprentice, added more lights but failed to check handling prior to Night Flight, barely manageable as wanted to turn and definitely too nose heavy with the last additions, stayed low and flew under 5 minutes but too many unwanted turns and not rising as it should even with throttle so had to bring it home early, lowered throttle and thankfully it handled predictable and came right down in the lit parking lot, actually was one of my best landings took all the flare to keep things even but skimmed right in...Large Truck swiftly popped by to check this out, but alas more corrections needed...looked fantastic with 6 intensity lights on the bottom different Red, Blue, Green, and White...two White lights on the top for landing visual.....Apprentice is going to make a marvel Night Flyer as expected...BEST ..<>..
Old 10-12-2008, 02:41 PM
cyclingsarge

Though this Plane is pricey I challenge you to take the parts list and add up the price of the RX, ESC, LIPO battery, Servos, and motor. That is almost the cost of the plane itself. Add the TX, and the fuselage, wing assembly tail assembly and the price could be 400 to 450 easily. You also have to take into consideration that all those parts are reusable. Need I say more. Sounds like a good price.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
mossman

Ive had two supercub 1 scanner 1 boomerang glow planes and just got the Apprentice. went back to electric plnes after several rebuilds looking forward to flying it whats it like in wind

Mossy
Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 AM
mossman

Ive also got a spare DX6 & Eflite brushless motor and battery want to put it iinto some chunk of flying foam I like the foam the supercubs we destroyed but had lots of fun with them im thinking of just buying thw wing fusealage tail and throw ailerons on it learnt some hard lessons on glow planes while i was in china my son showed me on skype the power of the apprentice 3/4 throttle and about 20 degree takeoff angle of incidence
Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 AM
mossman

whats the Trojan like
Old 12-26-2008, 12:16 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Originally Posted by cyclingsarge View Post
Though this Plane is pricey I challenge you to take the parts list and add up the price of the RX, ESC, LIPO battery, Servos, and motor. That is almost the cost of the plane itself. Add the TX, and the fuselage, wing assembly tail assembly and the price could be 400 to 450 easily. You also have to take into consideration that all those parts are reusable. Need I say more. Sounds like a good price.
For me this package made perfect sense - I wanted a foamie aileron trainer about this size with readily available spare parts and the included dx5e is perfect for buddy-box on my DX6i The 15e size motor is well-matched, I can cruise around 40-50% throttle for ~15 minutes easily. The AR500 is a nice 5 channel receiver and could be used for many future models. I love this plane!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

any word on a PnP version of this plane yet?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 PM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
any word on a PnP version of this plane yet?
Not that I've heard - sure would be nice tho I'd pickup another if they released a PnP.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM
patmatgal

Hmm...
This plane does look like it has possibilities. I'm hoping to eventually build a high wing plane with 2 motors , under the wing but mounted on the fuse. Have been working out a lot of problems and now I see this and wonder if a larger more rigid air frame might not be a better idea. Initially was going to use a Super Cub airframe because it is easy to mod and overbuilt to begin with (take out all wing dihedral and add ailerons) but now that I give this another look, hmm... Am wondering if anyone has worked with this plane enough to know if it is as overbuilt as the Cub (I'm not an aeronautical engineer and will make a fair number of mistakes building and flying) Thanks much for any and all advice
Old 02-14-2009, 12:59 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

here is a reveiw on the e-flite at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915223 sounds like a good flier.

Last edited by gramps2361; 02-14-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: wrong web
Old 05-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Mini14gb

Had a maiden flight tonight with the Apprentice and all went well. I flew the Super Cub first and surprisingly had a mild crash on initial take off. I haven't crashed the Cub in months and just before a maiden of a more advanced plane I screw up. I flew the Apprentice anyway and had a wobbly first few minutes having never flown a plane with ailerons but I took to it and set it down 3 times to a dead stop and would practice my taxi then up in the air again. The control surfaces are my more responsive than the Super Cub and the front steering wheel needs to be tweaked a little for ground steering. Over all it was great, much slower than the hopped up Super Cub and that's a good thing for now. BTW I got my Apprentice for $181 plus $20 for shipping on ebay!! What a bargain huh?

Last edited by Mini14gb; 05-11-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
microraver

My buddy has been flying one of these since he lost his SC on top of a building! The Apprentice IMO is not for newbies! The SuperCub is much more forgiving. I found the Apprentice with ailerons was too much for my friend. The Apprentice controls can be very sensitive for beginners and can quickly lead to disaster. It would be a good first plane with a dedicated instructor and a patient student!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 AM
kirch

My Apprentice is my first plane. I would have trashed that plane a few times if I did not have an instructor to save me from disaster.

The buddy box and cable paid for themselves many times over already.

The Apprentice is advertised as a beginner plane to be used with the assistance of an instructor. I am glad that I went straight for 4 channel and I would highly recommend it for others that want to learn with an instructor.

Of course I also spent many hours on the flight simulator, which helped a lot.

The first time the Apprentice went up the instructor trimmed the plane for me. As a newbie I could not have done that. Plus the original elevator throw was way too high for me, even at low rates.

I think some of the 3 channel flyers are probably much better for people who are going to learn on their own. But I think going straight to 4 channel is better if you are in the situation where you can practice on a flight simulator and also get instruction.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:39 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Was flying in too much winds last year and w/help have the Apprentice back in shape for some fun flights...have to agree its an aileron, just above the newbie but great 2nd plane after mastering the Super Cub..Apprentice is huge, back into Night Flights, getting this one trimmed out again and use to its basic behavior, at half throttle flys ok in gentle winds but needs some more up elevator on the turns, no suprise here, make sure its balanced correctly and intrim flys very well...do the deadstick landing and does well as the Super Cub here, if you have enough time flying this one it will handle a smaller area but work up to it, makes a parkflyer category but only after practice..love its landings, flared heavy at the last on moments ago flight and settled right in the packed snow with inch loose on top...nice bird...still finding my old intensity lights, with three was fun just mid dusk was easy to follow, more lights and will venture futher into the Night, its not a windy flyer but behaves well and nice first aileron choice, have to again love its size...majestic..BEST ..<>..