E-Flite Mini Pulse XT - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Piperfan

Default E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Just picked one of these up. Very well thought out and nicely put together ARF. With the recommended set up, it balanced perfectly. No extra lead or moving things around. Will post picks soon and give flight reports by this weekend if the weather co-operates.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Piperfan

Hear are some pix. This plane fly's like it on rails. I don't usually go for sport none scale planes but I wanted a plane I could fly casualy.

E-Flite outrunner 450
E-Flite S75 micro Servos X 4
Venom 35 amp ESC
JR 6ch Dual Conversion Reciever
TP 2100mha 11.1V battery
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine PulseXT.jpg
Views:	2470
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	19232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini PulseXT2.jpg
Views:	2509
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	19233   Click image for larger version

Name:	PulseXT mini inflight.jpg
Views:	2467
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	19234   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulseXT mini5.jpg
Views:	2319
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	19499  

Last edited by Piperfan; 11-27-2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 AM
MountainFlyer

I picked one up the other day myself ... just put the maiden on it tonight. Very nice flying plane i must say. was a bit windy bit it didn't seem to mind. Seems very stable. It lands very smoothly, just chopped the throttle and she settled right down on the runway with little effort. its a bit faster than i expected comparing it to my MiniFuntana

Eflite Park 480 1020Kv Outrunner
APC 10x7E Prop
GP Silver Series 25amp ESC
TP 2100 11.1v Lipo
Hitec HS55 servos
Hitec Micro 05S RX

Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniPulseXT1.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	19214 Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniPulseXT3.jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	19249

Last edited by MountainFlyer; 11-20-2006 at 03:05 AM. Reason: pictures added
Old 04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by MountainFlyer View Post
I picked one up the other day myself ... just put the maiden on it tonight. Very nice flying plane i must say. was a bit windy bit it didn't seem to mind. Seems very stable. It lands very smoothly, just chopped the throttle and she settled right down on the runway with little effort. its a bit faster than i expected comparing it to my MiniFuntana

Eflite Park 480 1020Kv Outrunner
APC 10x7E Prop
GP Silver Series 25amp ESC
TP 2100 11.1v Lipo
Hitec HS55 servos
Hitec Micro 05S RX

Attachment 19214 Attachment 19249
Hey MountainFlyer, I just bought the mini Pulse Xt. I too have a park 480, 25A ESC and a 11.1v 2150mah Li-po. Is the 25A ESC too small for this plane/motor setup? I was trying to figure out if the motor would draw more than 25 amps from the 11.1v 2150mah battery. Any advice would be great. Thanks friend.

Mike
Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 PM
BoysToys

My LHS finally got my MPXT in yesterday. I ordered it almost 2 weeks ago. I was thrilled to finally start putting it together. Unfortunately, all they got in was the plane. So now I have the plane, 480 motor, 40A esc, and my other misc parts butI still need my HS55 servos and AR6100 receiver. I told them to cancel my order for the other parts and ordered everything online last night. I should have everything early next week. Hopefully I will be able to get it in the air next weekend.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BoysToys View Post
My LHS finally got my MPXT in yesterday. I ordered it almost 2 weeks ago. I was thrilled to finally start putting it together. Unfortunately, all they got in was the plane. So now I have the plane, 480 motor, 40A esc, and my other misc parts butI still need my HS55 servos and AR6100 receiver. I told them to cancel my order for the other parts and ordered everything online last night. I should have everything early next week. Hopefully I will be able to get it in the air next weekend.
Sorry to hear about the delay friend. I will have mine complete and in the air by the 1st of the month (two weeks). Let us know how she flies!! Good luck friend.

Mike
Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 AM
MountainFlyer

Piperfan, What prop are you using? looks like a Master Airscrew but i cant read the writing on the prop
Old 11-20-2006, 03:59 AM
Piperfan

Hi Mtn Flyer,

Using a MA 10X6 electric. I have a wooden MA in the same size, will be putting that on soon. They like to break easy but they look great. I have used the APC props before and have several. They work great but look like (personal opinion) crap. The MA pulls this plane along just fine. I have very scale sport flying charateristics from it. Beware, the landing gear block in the fuse is not as strong as one might think. I ripped it out this afternoon. Not bad and a little expoxy to reset it and better then new. The wind was at about 5 right down the runway and sort of pussed the plane right down onto the ground. I tell you what, the plane looked cool with out the gear. Like it had retracts. I was tempted to hand launch it and fly it around. I didn't have a helper to give it a heave. Still this plane is so easy to fly but still a blast to just scoot around pattern and do some classic aerobatics. I have a couple of 3D machines and several Cubs and warbirds. This one is a new favorite though.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:57 PM
MountainFlyer

I agree I'm really starting to like the Mini Pulse its one of those planes that doesn't seem to have any bad habits. Amazing not to see more people talking about it. I love its low stall speed .. makes landing a joy. I haven't damaged the landing gear support yet .. I may build an extra brace for it like i did for my Mini Funtana i never broke the landing gear off on the Mini Funtana and had many many hard landings with it ( it was an inherent problem with its design as well and with out reinforcement would rip the LG out of the fuse on a hard landing)
Not hard to make .. just an extra piece of ply between the fuse and LG heres a pic of the one on my Funtana .. looks too simple to work but i found it to be 100% effective

Name:	Bottom1.jpg
Views:	1950
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	19296 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom2.jpg
Views:	1958
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	19297
Old 02-18-2007, 03:10 PM
windshadow

Originally Posted by MountainFlyer View Post
I agree I'm really starting to like the Mini Pulse its one of those planes that doesn't seem to have any bad habits. Amazing not to see more people talking about it. I love its low stall speed .. makes landing a joy. I haven't damaged the landing gear support yet .. I may build an extra brace for it like i did for my Mini Funtana i never broke the landing gear off on the Mini Funtana and had many many hard landings with it ( it was an inherent problem with its design as well and with out reinforcement would rip the LG out of the fuse on a hard landing)
Not hard to make .. just an extra piece of ply between the fuse and LG heres a pic of the one on my Funtana .. looks too simple to work but i found it to be 100% effective

Attachment 19296 Attachment 19297
that looks like a great ideal . I just ordered a mini pulse pnp my self. when it gets here I may do that modification to her. I am new to all this stuff .I am flying an electri star at the moment and also just picked up a foamie supper piper cub which I will get in the air next week . thanks for the posting this modification.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Piperfan

Mountain Flyer,

I had a 480 but the mount didn't allow the bolts to pass by the motor and hit when I put them in before mounting the motor to the mount supplied in the kit. Did you re configure the mount? Got a pic of the 480 mounted?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:20 PM
MountainFlyer

First off you have to grind notches into the motors housing where the two upper bolt heads will be ( they are not very deep and doesn't weaken the housing. I used my Dremel with a grinding/cutting wheel ) You just need to take out just enough metal to get the bolt to sit strait in the X mount and not hit the motor housing ( very small amount of grinding is needed actually )
then you need to put the bolts into the upper bolt holes of the X mount before you attach it to the motor, then tighten the X Mount to the motor.
If the notch is deep enough the bolts will no longer hit the back of the motor and will be strait so they can hit the holes in the Fuse... You will however need a Allen wrench with the Ball end because you are not going to have a strait shot at the bolts with the Allen wrench.
then tighten all the bolts up a few turns at a time until they are all tight .. remember to put some locktite on them also

You will also notice that i rounded the ends of the bolts .. this was a failed attempt to get them to clear the back of the motor before grinding the notches on the motor... So no need to modify the bolts
Its hard to get good pictures with out a total dismantle but this should give you a reasonable idea

Name:	480mod1.jpg
Views:	1888
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	19332 Click image for larger version

Name:	480mod2.jpg
Views:	2245
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	19333
Old 11-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Piperfan

I had the motor from the Mini Funtana, which is a 480. I see now, and over looked the possibility of grinding the motor housing some to accomodate the heads for the allen bolts. Very clever. Yeah, got all the tools to do it. I just went out and got another 450. Its amazing the things you can learn by asking and looking at some of the posts here. I have tried to get my fellow club members to check it out. Some have looked. I am addicted to flying and building electrics to this is a helpful forum.

I really like the pulse. I am hoping E-Flite puts out some war birds in the 25 electric size. They are darn convenient size wise and not to hard on the pocket book. I see you have a cub. See what I did to mine.

Name:	143.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	19358  
Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM
MountainFlyer

I have seen on some other forums where people were attempting to put the 480 on the Mini Pulse with varying success. And being that im an old farmer and use to making things fit that wern't ment to fit together, A.K.A. 3AM middle of the hay field engineering it seemed like a pretty simple solution. And i didn't want to have to buy another motor when I had a perfectly good 480, might of had some influence

Yes i agree a Nice warbird in the 25 electric size ( with retracts ) from E-Flite would be nice. Everytime i look at the Mini Pulse head on i get a hint of a Spitfire or Mustang.. or maybe P40 or it could be just the nose cone causing my eyes to play tricks on me though

Yes like what you did to your Cub. I really enjoy flying my Cub .. ive been neglecting her a bit since i got the Mini Pulse though :o
Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I just received my Mini Pulse the other day. I bought this due to the setup is perfect for my 1/2A ME109 conversion. This will my first time with a low wing and I figured I'd practice with this pre-built before transferring the set up to my 109. If this plane is as much fun to fly as I've heard I'll have to buy a second set-up for the 109.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Piperfan

REA,

Your gona love this plane! You might as well buy a second set up now. As Mtn Flyer said about neglecting his cub. I am too. This plane is a simple yet effective way to fly all aerobatics comfortably without the stress of a 3D machine. Don't get me wrong, I love to fly my 3D planes too. But some times you just want to relaxe and take it easy and fly around. This is the plane. It really stands out in the air too. Your gona love it.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Just ordered my Mini Pulse XT today. Should have it by Friday? I normally fly a HZ SuperCub and a couple of Helis but I also have PZ Typhoon 3D that I have managed to fly a few times without wrecking so far. I bought a Mini Ultra Stick based on the misconception that since it sort of looked like a Cub, it flew like one. Also, the "friendly" guy at the LHS said it was easy to fly. You can guess how that turned out. It might have survived had I known what it was going to do and had low rates and expo programmed into the radio. I didn't. I was going to order the repair parts for the MUS but then I found out about the Mini Pulse XT. I'll fix the MUS later!

Anyway, how does the MPXT fly compared to say a Typhoon 3D? Any suggestions for a successful first flight? Any setup suggestions for a DX6 radio?

Thanks!
Gary.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
MountainFlyer

The Mini Pulse XT flys quite well .. but it is a low wing plane so has the normal low wing plane habits. eg. it goes where you point it and doesnt try to come back to level flight like your Cub if you let off the stick. So you have to "fly it" all the time. It can be very quick plane at full throttle. ( 50+mph ) But can be flown very slowly and still remain stable. With Flaperons the stall speed is extremely slow ( i would guestimate around 5mph or less ) its a very easy landing plane if the CG is correct ( almost lands itself ) I always dead stick land mine .. since it really doesn't want to come down unless the motor is completely off
I have never flown a Typhoon but i have put many many hours on my Mini Funtana which is kinda similar .. Its hard to compare them .. the Mini Pulse is much easier to land smoothly than the Mini Funtana The funtana has a much steeper learning curve but once you figure it out its actually an easy flying plane.. but so is the Mini Pulse .. but i think the Mini Pulse would be a bit easier to master .. it all depends on you and your piloting skills
As for setting up for first flight .. follow the instructions to the letter for the control throws both high and low rates i run -35% on my expo ( i use a Hitec Optic 6 TX ) Im not familiar with the DX6 so i don't know if you need + or - expo though .. my guess would be minus.
Also remember to check the CG ..
for the first flight i would recommend using low rates and be ready to trim it out on the pitch ( it will either want to climb or dive when you center the stick .. be ready for it then you can trim out the ailerons ( it will most likey have a tendency to want to roll to the left slowly ) Low wing planes can be very unforgiving when there not trimmed out correctly and tend to be a handful until you get them trimmed ( not trying to scare you just warn you is all )

So if all goes well you should have a good flight

Last edited by MountainFlyer; 11-29-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:30 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Thanks MountainFlyer!

I've been doing a lot of reading the past two days about the Mini Pulse XT and I think I'm really going to like this plane. I think I'll be able to handle it Ok if, like everyone says, I keep the rates down at first. I should be getting it by Friday but with Winter setting in around here, I think flying season is going to be over before I get a chance to try it out. Well, it'll give me lots of time to check over everything carefully so there are no surprises come Spring. Also, I can get the MUS fixed by then too.

Gary.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

GSK, the MUS is an easier plane to fly then the Pulse. When you are reading about how easy the plane flies, don't think it will be a trainer style plane. If you are having trouble with the MUS you will have more of the same with the Pulse.

IMHO earn to fly the MUS before moving to the Pulse. The Stick is a very stable plane and comes in nice and slow with no tendency to stall. The Pulse will be a little more difficult to land in comparison and a little trickier in the air. Please don't misunderstand, the Pulse is a gentle plane BUT it is not the trainer the MUS is. The MUS is meant to be the bridge between J-3's and other trainers and aileron aerobatic planes.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:26 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Hi Bill,

Seems to be a lot of disagreement on which is easier to fly, the MUS or the Pulse. If I ask 20 different people, I get 20 different answers. Guess it really is personal preference and flying style.

The only problem I had with the MUS was a total misconception of what the plane was going to do when I launched it. I was told by the LHS it was a "gentle, easy to fly plane like the Cub but with more power and some aerobatic ability", or something like that. I don't remember his exact words but it sounded good. What I was looking for when I went in was a "camera plane" for aerial photography that had more power than my HZ SupCub does. The SC could only barely get 100ft up with the camera attached. Kinda funny to think of a MUS as a camera plane. It would probably do great if you wanted to shoot an "airsickness" video! I'm thinking about getting a Telemaster for the AV stuff later.

I've also been looking for a aerobatic plane. Something more refined than the Typhoon. The way the LHS described it, the MUS sounded like an ideal "dual purpose plane". I could have handled the MUS had I known what it was really like and been prepared for it and had low rates programmed into my DX6. You have to admit on high rates, it's a handful. Also, I didn't understand that just because it has a "slow fly" prop DOES NOT mean it flies slow! I'm not a beginner. I've been flying R/C off and on since the '80's but I've been out of it for a while and have some "catching up" to do, especially with the electrics. Then there was that little "detour" through R/C helicopters but we won't talk about that . I can fly basic aerobatics with the Typhoon and have no doubt I can fly the MUS and the Pulse too, once I get used to it.

Gary.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Hi Gary,

What power system are you using with the MUS? I fly mine with an UltraFly B/06 outrunner, a 9x6 SF prop and a 3s1700 lipo. That setup gives me some nice power. When I first flew the Stick, I was also surprised at how fast and maneuverable it was. It was a far cry from what I had been flying. Now it's my "just throw in the car for some fun" plane and it's what I use to tune up before maidening a new plane.

My choice is still the same as above. I would fly the MUS since you already have some "dents" on it and become proficient with it before flying the Pulse.

Just my $.20 (inflation)
Old 11-29-2006, 06:53 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

I had the "Plug N Play" version which came with the E-Flite 450 outrunner and 22A esc. I was using one of my TP 2100mah lipos from my heli (fortunately it survived). It had plenty of power for me. Unfortunately, the MUS was quite a bit more than "dented". The fuselage looked like a crushed out cigarette. Completely destroyed. The wing tore loose in the impact and landed in some soft grass so it doesn't have a scratch on it. Still looks like new. The wing mounts tore out of the fuselage and not the wing so I got lucky there. The tail is Ok too and most of the electronics survived except one servo was stripped. If it hadn't crashed in mud (right next to a creek), the damage would have been much worse. The motor was a good 8-10" down in the mud!

As for which plane to start with, every experienced R/C pilot I've talked to that has flown a Typhoon 3D and also the MUS and/or Pulse say the Typhoon flies so squirrelly and so badly that if I can fly that, the MUS and MPXT should be no problem at all. I'll probably end up flying the MUS first though since it will probably be the first plane I get flyable. I do plan to take advantage of the optional flaps on the MUS. I hear they work well at really slowing things down (especially if I also use spoilerons - "CROW", whatever that stands for) and should help me get used to flying it. I have a link somewhere that says how to set it up with my DX6. Can't wait to try it.

Gary.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Originally Posted by gsk11740 View Post
The fuselage looked like a crushed out cigarette. Completely destroyed. The wing tore loose in the impact and landed in some soft grass so it doesn't have a scratch on it. Still looks like new. The tail is Ok too ...............
Typical Ultra Stick crash. $39 for a new fuse and you're back in business.

As for which plane to start with, every experienced R/C pilot I've talked to that has flown a Typhoon 3D and also the MUS and/or Pulse say the Typhoon flies so squirrelly and so badly that if I can fly that, the MUS and MPXT should be no problem at all.
I quit for 10 years and came back with a Typhoon. I almost quit again because the plane was so awful that I thought I had completely forgotten how to fly. As a final attempt, I put together a mini Ultra Stick and fell in love with it right away. Now I've got five of them, two 25Es and a 40 slimer Ultra Stick. I guess you could say they are my favorites.

It sounds like your setup on the Mini Ultra was all wrong. I've trimmed out a few PNPs for people and the first thing I do is take about 2/3 of the aileron throw out of them. They come with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much aileron travel in them and it's no wonder some people think that plane is squirrely.

I'll probably end up flying the MUS first though since it will probably be the first plane I get flyable.
When you get your new or repaired Ultra stick near completion, send me a PM and I'll share my setup with you. Outside of a bad setup, there was no reason for that plane to bite you like that. I fly the snot out of mine and find them to be extremely easy airplanes to fly. However, a bad setup will turn anything into a bad airplane.

I've been doing a lot of reading the past two days about the Mini Pulse XT and I think I'm really going to like this plane. I think I'll be able to handle it Ok if, like everyone says, I keep the rates down at first.
I went with the set up right out of the construction manual and the plane was very nice. On ailerons, she would do 2 1/2 rolls in five seonds. As an old pattern flier, I'm used to 3 in five seconds, so that was a little slow for me. Still, if you start off with that setup, it will be an extremely gentle airplane.

I did a mini review of the Pulse on another forum, so I'm too lazy to do it all over again. Here's the link, but the first part is a little long and boring. Scroll down to post #11 if you don't care about the build. It gets better when I start flying:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Pulse

I had a chance to fly a big Pulse XT PNP slimer at our local fly in/cookout. I liked it so much that I bought one:

http://largoflyingclub.com/app06/pulse.wmv

Name:	The wife and the mistress.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	19651  
Old 11-30-2006, 01:32 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Thanks again Doc! We actually had this same conversation over on RCU but it's always nice to have good info stored in multiple places! Harder to misplace it.

I think you are right about the ailerons. What am I saying? I KNOW you are right! The right stick was soooo sensitive that it seemed if I even looked at it funny, the plane would snap roll. I couldn't control it. The elevator was pretty touchy too. Between the two (and add in a generous dose of "panic mode"), and you can imagine what the flight looked like. Come to think of it, after I got the thing together, I didn't even read the part about adjusting throws. DUH! If there was any good to it, at one point I had it in a beautiful hover, right over Rt.28! Obviously, I couldn't leave it there so I hit the throttle full and pulled the stick (don't remember which way) and that's when it went up - and then straight down on the other side of the road.

Well, chalk it up to a "learning experience".

I'll definately send you a PM about the setup. I want to get it right this time. I spent way too much time (and money) fixing the helis after wrecks and it almost made me quit the whole R/C hobby again. Finally decided to put the helis away for a while and go back to the planes. I find planes much more enjoyable and relaxing to fly. The helis just stressed me out. I'm waiting for "Radd" to jump in here and scold me after all the one-on-one training he tried to do with me ("gsk11740 goes berserk").

As for the Typhoon, not to get into a "foamie RTF bashing session" but I found most of the cheapie RTFs don't fly very well. I also have a Parkzone "Super Decathlon" that is so underpowered you have to put it in a steep dive just to get it to loop and even then, it doesn't do it clean. Just sort of stalls and flops over at the top. It looks nice but that's about it. I know there are threads out there to hop up the Decathlon with a bigger motor, etc, but for what it costs I could buy a better plane to begin with. I don't even want to talk about the Firebird Commander II and the Firebird Freedom! These are all hanging up in my 6 year old son's room as decorations. About all they are good for.

Anyway, I've got all these threads bookmarked (and have backups of the bookmarks). I probably won't be flying again until Spring now. Once Winter sets in around here, it gets so windy I can't fly anything. Ironically, this last week has been great but no planes to fly.

Anyway, I'll PM you for the setups.

Gary.

Quick Reply: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.39851 seconds with 19 queries