How to clean rubber radio knobs that are sticky ! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

How to clean rubber radio knobs that are sticky !

Old 02-29-2020, 02:57 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default How to clean rubber radio knobs that are sticky !

OK - jokes aside ....

Over time the rubber knobs on my Cobra VHF radio have become sticky ... not from jam or other gourmet application from fingers - but the knobs themselves !

Anyone know how to clean or remove this ? I've only ever seen this once before on an old car radio.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:00 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

I had this happen on some rubber coated binoculars I have. It required a solvent and lots rubbing to get it off. Basically had to rub down to "clean" rubber. I think the solvent may have been denatured alcohol but I may have had to go to acetone. It tried a few. Start with the mildest solvent and work your way up from there.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:17 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
I had this happen on some rubber coated binoculars I have. It required a solvent and lots rubbing to get it off. Basically had to rub down to "clean" rubber. I think the solvent may have been denatured alcohol but I may have had to go to acetone. It tried a few. Start with the mildest solvent and work your way up from there.
Been googling trying to find answer and the Alcohol ... through to Acetone ... seems to get highest marks.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...e-from-rubber/

I was trying to avoid solvents ... once weather improves - I'll see if I can get the knobs off and into the house to 'play' ... maybe produce some 3D printed replacements
Old 02-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

We have some stuff here called LA's Awesome Cleaner. I have used it to clean almost anything.
A friend gave me a Bridi Utter Kaos with a ST 75 nitro motor that was put away dirty after the last flight and never cleaned for 14+ years, it was a absolute mess.
15 minutes with LA's and a toothbrush and it looked brand new. Installed new bearings, and it runs like new.

The bottle gives you ratios to dilute it down for certain jobs.
It is my go-to cleaner for everything.
It does not say what it is on the bottle anymore, but it is cheap I can get 32floz for $1.00