HELP no fun w/ fun jet - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

HELP no fun w/ fun jet

Old 08-16-2008, 05:59 PM
sheldo78
Plane Durability Tester

Default HELP no fun w/ fun jet

Okay, so this mourning I went out for the maiden on the fun jet. Nice mourning here in Colorado. So I cranked her up to about 3/4 throttle and give her a good pitch. As I'm running it up I'm thinking that this thing just is not wanting to jump out of my hands like I think it should. Anyway, being crazy and starved from sleep from thinking about flying this thing all night I throw it anyway. Well, as the thing leaves my hands it kinda want'd to go upside down and it just didn't leap into the air like all the other ones I have seen. I kinda think I have a power problem. So far I haven't destroyed the plane so I figured I would ask some questions. First off I am not to fimiliar with hand launching planes but it isn't rocket science ( or is it ). I have always flown off the ground. I have been flying Stevens Aero Planes for about 2 years ( Stella and Re-Grove, tons of GWS planes ) so I think I can fly this thing. The power system is a AON 3000kv motor with a Feigao 30amp controller w/ 3 cell 2100 Thunder Power and 2 Hitec 65 servos. Maybe I need to reprogram the ESC, anyone fimiliar w/ these ESC's. Next is I have a APC 5.5x4.5 prop and I have the letters and #'s pointing towards the front of the plane, is this correct. I have balanced the plane front to back and side to side 1/2 a dozen times. Please help w/ any advice. Thrust angle is at 0 degrees. Should the plane want to jump out of your hand like a rocket or like a E-Starter. It is raining now so I will take that as a sign to wait for some comments. One last thing is I do live at 9000 feet but usaully Bill at Stevens Aero will say something if he thinks I'll have a problem w/ elevation. Thanks and sorry to ramble on so long.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

First... that sucks! I know how you feel.

Your setup is fine. I can't see any issues with that. What may have happened is the dreaded torque roll at launch. The plane will want to roll (Left if I remember correctly) at high throttle. Your plane should have been putting out more than enough thrust to get her off the ground. Try launching at about 60-65% throttle... about 45 degrees. THat's how I launch mine with the Wicked motor. Otherwise, the torque will roll it. Save full throttle for 3 mistakes high.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Oh... did it roll to one side, or did the tail drop suddenly? 2 different issues.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Ben D wing

You have the prop fitted the correct way around, but is your motor rotating the right way?
Viewed from the back (looking forwards), the motor should rotate clockwise.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 PM
sheldo78
Plane Durability Tester

It most defintly rolled to the left. Should I trim it a little to the right to compensate. Also should I trim this thing so it wants to fly up more so than normal airplane for the first couple flights. Pretty much just waiting for the rain to break and I will try her again. I'm trying to talk my better half into hand launching for me so I can get her up and trimmed and fell her out. I will try it with less throttle this time and see if that helps the roll.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
You have the prop fitted the correct way around, but is your motor rotating the right way?
Viewed from the back (looking forwards), the motor should rotate clockwise.
If the prop was on right but the motor was rotating backwards, wouldn't the plane fly backwards?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:07 AM
sheldo78
Plane Durability Tester

Alright everyone, I just went out and had my better half hand launch it for me, and off it went just like I expected. WOW, what a rush, this thing is freakin sweat. I can't believe it. I have been flying in my neighborhood for a about 2 years and my neighbors hardly pay attention anymore because they have become acustomed to the planes, but this thing had people coming out to see what the hell it was. WOW. Thanks again for the replies
Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Great! Grats!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 PM
CFisher1421
FNG

Next to my T28 for relaxing flights...this is my next "Go To" plane. No, it doesn't do snazzy 3D or look scale or have retracts...but it does haul the mail if you want it to - or the whole mail truck if you put the time into it. And fun when you know your hands are safely on the sticks while someone throws it for you!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:37 AM
sheldo78
Plane Durability Tester

Things are getting better. My friend came over today w/ his Stryker and we have been flying all day. I have gotten use to hand launching the plane myself and it just flies great. This is difinetly one of my favorites. I'm sure I have about 10 flights on it now. I seem to have just a little more speed than the stryker.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:42 AM
David M

Hi Sheldo78,

Glad you've sorted the model on launch. I'm having exactly the same left roll on an EDF jet and actually damaged it last time out. What are you doing differently now that is successful that you didn't do before..?

I'd hate to hand launch my jet at anything less than full throttle, but I think my puny 5mm aileron deflection needed in flight just isn't cutting it at the much slower launch speed. There isn't any prop wash blowing over the surfaces with all the thrust coming out of the back, like your Fun Jet.

My thoughts were to launch slightly right of straight into the wind and increase the aileron rates until the model is up to speed, then switch them back to a more manageable setting as before.

Cheers.......
Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 AM
sheldo78
Plane Durability Tester

Hey Dave, I had my wife and friend launch my plane for about a day and a half so I could get use to flying it. This seemed to make the biggest difference. I do launch my Fun Jet at full throttle w/ just a nice toss into the wind. I think getting use to flying the plane out of someones hand or my own was the biggest difference. I was so use to flying off the ground, it was just strange to have to toss the plane and grab the radio and not crash all at the same time. Good luck. A little up trim and right trim might help a little.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 AM
David M

Thanks for the advice Sheldo78, but sadly my mate has been launching it for me anyway, so I have no excuse there..!

It just wants to go left every time and last time out, just went in. The radio's working ok and the flights I have had with it, need no trim adjustments at all.

If it's not a torque issue, then I feel my mate, with all the respect in the world, may be twisting it slightly somehow and starting the launch a little cross wind. I've been hand launching slopers for years and he hand launches all his own leccy models ok, so this stumbling block when others seem to have no issues is odd to us..!

It's the first hand launching damage I've had in 22 years in this game, but it is my first EDF jet....

The repairs are coming on now for another go, I'm going down to my local slope on a calm day for some multiple lobs, circuit and fluffy flat grass pad landings to get to grips with it..!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:42 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
First... that sucks! I know how you feel.

Your setup is fine. I can't see any issues with that. What may have happened is the dreaded torque roll at launch. The plane will want to roll (Left if I remember correctly) at high throttle. Your plane should have been putting out more than enough thrust to get her off the ground. Try launching at about 60-65% throttle... about 45 degrees. THat's how I launch mine with the Wicked motor. Otherwise, the torque will roll it. Save full throttle for 3 mistakes high.
I had a similar problem, i still launch at WOT i just launch vertical where the roll won't matter.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:14 AM
kremecheze

anyone know where the cheapest place to buy a funjet is?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 AM
David M

In the UK, it looks like TJD Models at 42.95, but if you're in the USA.....