Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)
Default Considering LiFe vs LiPo

OK ... many of us are dedicated LiPo users due to weight vs power factors.

But many of us have models that really are kept light by this. LiPo's also are best charged out of the model ...

I am just repairing my Lancaster which flies generally on a 3S 2200 LiPo and stays level flight at about 60% throttle.

The battery sits just ahead of the CoG and in fact I have flown her perfectly safe on a 3S 1750.

It has caused me to consider LiFe battery instead ... It has even crossed my mind to literally fit and forget LiFe - just have access to leads to charge. But of course then that means delay between flights and means to charge at field.

I think LiFe will improve its physical weight / size and we may see a lighter version ? If so - why not change and have a safer battery ?

I have to now make confession and illustrate that the LiFe battery showed how safe !

I use LiFe in some of my Glow models. Without thinking one day - I connected up one of the leads from my buried Rx LiFe pack ... started charging. This did not use the balance lead and so the charger just whacked away at the pack. After a while - I noticed an odour ... terminated charge and started to investigate. I had been whacking 3S LiFe into a 2S pack ... and it basically had burst inside the model. It was wrapped in soft foam as is usual and it only scorched the foam. There was no fire at all. The leads had melted and fell away when unwrapped.

Now if that had been a LiPo ??

Anyone else considering change ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

Most of my packs are 4S and 6S. 35C min. Life is not a great option for me. My B-24 Lib can run on 3S but mine runs on (2) 4S 4000 packs. Get near 10 min. On mixed throttle. 1/2 throttle is faster than the HK B-17 but way over scale.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers