Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-04-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
yorkiepap

Club: AMA/M.A.R.C.S.
Friends: (2)
Default VQ Models Dornier Do-27 Kit....

I just got this kit on the HK March Warehouse Sale for a really great bargain, so I bought (2) as the 2nd one will be my "just-in-case" backup. Since I have the Taft Hobby 1600mm EP PNP in foam, I wanted a balsa one & this one is the same size & weight. HK didn't specify the mfg., so I was hoping it was a VQ model as there are no other Do-27's on the market & that is what it is. The kit came packaged in (3) boxes & in perfect condition. I LIKE IT!!!!!

After some homework, I've decided to use an E-Flite Power46 w/4S-4000 batts, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC, & either an APC 13 x 8e or a Zoar 13 x 8 wooden prop for good power & flight time with THR management. I have Futaba 3004 servos & going to use a single one-piece alum. LG instead of the supplied 2-pc. for the better strength & rigidity of a single piece. The kit has a superb finish & no wrinkles & a fairly good instruction manual. I will post pics of the assembly/mods/improvements I make.

Denny

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dornier-...y-version.html

Addendum: I have added the pic of my foam Taft Hobby Dornier Do-27.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VQ_Do27a.JPG (319.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg VQ_Do27b.JPG (272.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg VQ_Do27c.JPG (263.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Do27a.JPG (456.1 KB, 104 views)

* "To Be Old and Wise You Must First Be Young and Stupid." *

* "A mans' word is his honor....without honor, there is nothing." *
Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
UBH

Friends: (0)

Hello Yorkiepap. I am hoping you end up seeing this reply to your post, it's been almost 2 months.

I have been looking at the hobbyking Dornier for some time. I actually have it and all the other bits in my shopping cart. And then I find pics of the Taft version. The Taft Dornier looks soooo much more realistic. I suspect you have your HK Dornier put together by now. Can you mention which you like best? I feel like the HK one is so much plainer than the Taft version. I can't seem to find the Taft version for sale anywhere, but I'm still having trouble deciding to buy the HK one now. Advice please.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:16 AM   #3
yorkiepap

Club: AMA/M.A.R.C.S.
Friends: (2)

Hey UBH,
I haven't been able to schedule time to put the VQ Dornier together yet. Looks like it's going to be a winter project. I've had the Taft Dornier for 4yrs now & I love it along with my ArtTech Pilatus Porter PC-6 as I really got hooked on learning RC STOL. Seems no one is handling the Taft model anymore. Banana Hobby had them for a while & they discontinued them. I don't know any other vendor who may get the Taft model. A shame because it really is a superb flier & looks soooo good in the air & has gobs of power. I really can't do a comparison between the VQ & the Taft yet, although I'm really not too fussy. I just wanted a balsa version to have both & the VQ will also be EP. The next balsa one I want is the World Models Pilatus Porter PC-6 to have both of them also. The other plane I REALLY want in either EPO or balsa in the 1600-1700mm w/s range is a PZ104L WILGA. That would make my day. Anyway, I'm always monitoring all the RC forums so don't hesitate to ask anything. A couple more pics of my Taft Dornier at the field.

Denny

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Do27b.jpg (429.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Do27c.jpg (466.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Do27d.jpg (255.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Do27e.jpg (254.4 KB, 53 views)

* "To Be Old and Wise You Must First Be Young and Stupid." *

* "A mans' word is his honor....without honor, there is nothing." *

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft