Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

E-Flite Taylorcraft on floats

Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
beavenx5

Default E-Flite Taylorcraft on floats

Following recommendations from a few guys here (Navy atc, Charley and Nascarwings), I finally got a Taylorcraft as my second seaplane. I started with the Supercub with GWS floats as a first seaplane.

It took more than 3 months for my LHS to get the T-Craft. Horizon kept pushing back the back-order date... Finally got it last Friday:
I installed a set of 24" foam floats (from seaplanesupply) covered with silver Ultracote and used E-Flite size 25 hardware. The hardware is a little too heavy for this size plane, makes the float assembly quite heavy... I will see next week after the maiden how bad this is and if I need to change the hardware to a lighter set-up.

Because of the weight of the floats, I opted for a very powerful set-up: Turnigy 35-36C 1100Kv motor (good for 350w), 40A esc, 11X7 prop and 4S A123 battery. I will probably downgrade to a more reasonable motor (towerpro 2515-8t (190w) this winter with the skis.

Unfortunately, I did not get to maiden the plane yesterday afternoon as my Spectrum AR7000 receiver refused to bind . I could not get it to go on binding mode??? probably defective...

Here is a picture of my new seaplane inside the house... just dying to get wet...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Craft with floats 004.JPG
Views:	812
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	78173   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Craft with floats 001.JPG
Views:	856
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	78174   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Craft with floats 002.JPG
Views:	943
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	78175   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Craft with floats 003.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	78176  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
beavenx5

Here is an update on the T-Craft with floats:

1- Receiver: the AR7000 would not bind... returned to Horizon. I installed an AR6200 scavanged from my P-38 while waiting for the replacement one from Horizon.

2- First try Saturday morning (around 7:30 AM just after the fog lifted): a little windy, not ideal for a maiden flight but lets go anyway...
The plane refused to take-off. It looked like the motor is pushing the nose down too much... By the time I change the angle of the floats (lowered the rear of the bracket) and the angle of the motor (inserted a washer under the bottom screws of the motor mount) it was too windy for another try

3- Second try Sunday morning 8:00 AM: a little windy again... The plane did not take-off... not enough speed and too much drag. I installed a 12X6 prop and was getting only 160 watts out of it with 13.2 volts out of my 4S A123 battery ??? This motor should be able to give me way more RPM and power (around 300-350 watts). ESC does not seem right... I will try another one next week...

This is a bummer. The Taylorcraft did get wet but could never take-off I did not have a proper field at the cottage to try it with the wheels neighther.

I will report again after next week-end or the following one. There are a few nice week-ends left before frost...

Name:	2008_09_20_0583 lr.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	78856   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_09_20_0580 lr.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	78857  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I'm by no means an expert, but from the first set of pics, it looks like you've got your floats pointing up instead of down. As I understand it, when the plane is sitting on the water, it should sit with a slightly nose high attitude. From the looks of yours (expecially the 2nd pick in the second set) it looks like it's sitting at a nose low attitude. That will make the plane plow the watter and not be able to get up on step.

take a look at how the floats are on my super cub:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27483
Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
beavenx5

You are totally right about how the plane was sitting flat parallel to the water instead of facing up as it should have. The pictures were taken Saturday morning, the fist time I had my plane wet.

The float mount is an E-Flite disigned for the Beaver, not the best choice. First, it is a bit too heavy and second, I had to heat it and re-bend the rear mount to get it to sit higher on the floats. The plane now sit with the nose up a little but not as much as my SuperCub (my first seaplane is also a SC).

I also changed a little the angle of the motor. It is not aimed as low as before. My second test on Sunday was much better. The plane was gliding on the water without trying to pich forward. It just did not have enough speed to take-off. The water was also quite choppy...

I realy beleive my ESC is defective and not providing full throttle. I will try another one I have in the city(unfortunatlely it was not at the cottage last week-end). This is the inconvenience of having 2 houses: the tools / spare parts are never at the right place when you need them...

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Here's a good page that explains the setup of floats and how they work. It's great help for setting up floats on a plane that's never had them before.

http://www.seminolerc.com/float_flying_basics.html

Go about halfway down to where it says Float Angles.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
beavenx5

Wow, thanks Vax.
This document is a gold mine of information on float flying. Even if I have a little experience flying my SuperCub on floats, there is a lot of information in there I did not realise how important is was.

This document would be well worth to be put on top of this sub-forum with a sticky.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
JRickey

Looking at your second set of pictures.....Do the cross members on the floats catch the water while taxiing? This could be causing the precieved loss of power your experiencing. Mine did this till it got on step. Interesting is that my first set of floats I made didn't have the cross members and I didn't need the plane to get on step to lift off but with the supports and the added drag is does. Also the floats are sitting low in the water, maybe wider ones would help with the power issue allowing to get on step easier.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:50 PM
beavenx5

I did not realize the possibility of the cross members creating drag. I will have to look at that next week-end...

I think my float set-up might be too heavy also. The float mounts are for the Beaver 25e plane and are way to strong for the need. I will replace them with a second set of Taylorcraft landing gear like Charley did on his (attached picture). It will reduce the weight of the set-up significantly.

The floats on the picture (Charley's plane) are the same as mine except that mine are covered with Ultracote. His plane sits in the water a lot better than mine. I realy have to cut weight on mine... starting with the float mounts.

Here is what Charley's plane looks like (according to pictures posted on RCU). Charley: I hope you don't mind me posting a picture of your plane in here :o

Name:	Ql34033.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	78955  
Old 09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Beavenx5,
Thanks for posting your TC450 on floats.
I also have one and looking for successful floats to use.
This winter I plan to set her up for next season's float flys, so your trial and tribulations have been most helpful.

You mentioned the float weight but didn't say how much they weigh.
Charley's plane looks great, what floats are they?
What is his rear mount? You mentioned you are using the E-flite "Beavers" rear mount. Did you add a rear fuselage support or did it fasten without the need of one

I've found this site that has balsa covered foam floats that looks promising at a reasonable price:
http://www.geocities.com/planefunfloats/

BTW, I had to remove the small stock wheels and wheel pants on mine because they wouldn't work on our grass field, had to install 2.5" DuBro wheels and tires. Doesn't look as pretty but no more nose overs.

Thanks for your postings,
Don
Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
beavenx5

Don,
The floats (both Charley and mine) are 24" foam floats from seaplanesupply. The floats themselves are light. The problem is the e-flite hardware (heavy plastic) and wire stuts (big gauge). I had weighted the entire assembly 10 days ago but lost the notes I had taken. If my memory is good, the entire float assembly was around 400g which is too much for this plane. I did not add any support to the rear of the fuselage yet to assemble them. I only screw them in the little cross brace that is there, part the structure of the fuselage.
here is a link to the floats: http://seaplanesupply.com/floats.htm

As far as Charley's set-up, I beleive his rear mount is only a second front wheel mount with a little shim under it. I ordered a second landing gear at my LHS yesterday (EFL2630) to do this on mine also. I am planning on installing 2 identical stock wheel mounts like Charley instead of the e-flite Beaver mount and hardware together with a small balsa reinforcement for the rear mount under the fuselage. I will report back later on the results...
Here is a link to Charley post on RCU about his t-Craft on floats: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...tm.htm#7523578

I will try to remember to bring my small office scale at the cottage next week-end and weigh everything again to report back...

BTW I am planning on using a set of Dubro skies like the one I have on my SuperCub for the winter. Does anyone know about a set that might be a little bigger (but not too much) for a 450 size plane?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Beavenx5,
Thanks for your very heplful information
I can't wait until winter to make the conversion.
I've found a great float source at:
http://www.geocities.com/planefunfloats/
They covered with balsa and have a 27" size, just right for the TC450
Don

October 3rd, Placed an order. Had a reply from Ralph that he will be building my set tomorrow or Sunday.Great customer support. We had several e-mails back and forth in reply to my questions. He was always quick to respond and provide answers.
Cost for the 27", $45.00 plus $11.00 for shipping'handling to Darien,IL.
I'm very impressed with his customer support and producing a product made in the U.S.A.
Don

Name:	Plane Fun Floats.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	79095  

Last edited by donjiskra; 10-03-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: New information
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
beavenx5

Default Successful maiden flight

Saturday was quite windy up in the Laurentian. Fortunately the winds calmed down around PM and I got to fly the Taylorcraft.

Earlier in the day I changed the ESC for a new one and changed the angle between the wings and the float. I did so by bending the rear legs about 1 inch lower than was it was disigned for on the Beaver. I made sure to heat the wires with a torch before doing so to avoid breaking it. Angle is much better now and the motor has full power (31 amps, 370watts at full throttle ).

Back to the maiden flight: I set it in the water and immediately you could notice how much better it was sitting. Taxiing was fairly easy in the absence of wind without the water rudder (not installed yet). I gave it 3/4 throttle and the floats went quite quickly on steps and took-off gently. The whole take-off took about 2-3 second and less than 30 feet. It is nice to have all this power...

Once in the air, the plane is a real joy to fly. Only a minor aileron trim was required (3 clics) to get a steady level flight at 1/2 throttle. I did a few laps, then stalled turns and even flips. The heavy floats and high wing makes it a little funny to flip but easyly done. I even tried some barrel rolls that looked quite funny (not realy nice). Don't worry, I had a lot of altitude to try all these crasy things with the floats...
then it was time for landing... I had to re-do my approch 3 times before I got it right... The plane being much heavier than my foamies, it takes a long longer to slow down to landing speed and I was reluctant to cut the throttle completely. It did not matter, I had plenty of battery left and wanted to make sure I would land it in front of me. As the approch was perpenticular to me, it was no trouble to just throttle back up and do it again until I was satisfied with it. On the third approch, the plane touch douwn 15 feet away from me and stoped... nice succesful maiden Flight was 5 1/2 minutes long.

I had time for a second flight before it got to dark to be safe. So I tried the 4S A123 battery. I Did not realy notice a difference with the heavier more powerful battery as I never gave it full throttle anyway.It is realy a fun plane to flight with floats. For now, I will keep the heavy float mounts at it looks like it does not have any bad effect on the plane and they are quite solid.

Sorry Don, I forgot to bring the scale from the office at the cottage. I don't have the weigh for my set-up yet...

Name:	2008_10_04_0860 lr.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	736.0 KB
ID:	80070   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_10_04_0861.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	80071   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_10_04_0862.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	80072  
Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Hey Beav,
Excellent report, great photos.
Happy to hear it went well. My mouth was salivating.
Sounds like your set-up is right on.
No need for you to weigh, I was just curious because you mentioned a weight concerned.
Ralph advised me my PlaneFunFloats are being built and should be arriving soon. Also, I ordered two sets of the E-flite Taylorcraft450 landing gear, so that it will be a simple task to remove the wheels and install the floats.
Did you notice a CG difference with your set-up?
Thanks,
Don
Old 10-07-2008, 09:14 PM
beavenx5

Originally Posted by donjiskra View Post
Did you notice a CG difference with your set-up?
Not realy. The front of the floats are well in front of the prop so I guess it offsets the weigh of the mounts behind the CG.

I had checked the CG after completing the build and it was right on.

I am keeping my float mount for now (I like the look of it) but will probably switch to the twin stock wheel mount (like Charley) next spring. I am still looking for the best skies for the winter. Any ideas or recommendation beside the small Dubro skies?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Quick reply!!
I tried skis on another plane and discovered that they dug in on light powder snow, however the floats REALLY worked MUCH BETTER.
Don

Name:	STOLP-IN-SNOW-REAR.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	80083  
Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
beavenx5

I agree that floats will work on light snow, but it looks a little weird...

I used the skies last year on the HZ SuperCub. When the snow was too light, I would either toss it or would use the snowmobile to make a landing strip.
Using the ice ring I make on the lake is also great but quite challenging because of its relatively small size and absence of friction to slow the plane down.

I love how these planes looks with skies plus the flight caracteristics are much better with light skies than heavier floats.

Here is a picture of the SC with the skies over the lake in winter. These are nice days even at -15C

Name:	avion heli 011.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	80086  
Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 AM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

My thought about "a little bit wierd".
Function precludes form, as I joyously discoverd.

Seriously, I don't know of any ski's other than DuBros.
Perhaps someone can make a recommendation
Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

I just received my set of floats, they are awesome!!!
Beautiful craftsmanship at a great price. $44.00 plus $22.00 shipping to Darien, IL

They are 27" long, just right for the Taylorcraft's 36" length.
Floats need to be 75 to 80 percent of the length.
I ordered two sets of the E-flite landing gear, which will make for easy transitioning from grass to water.
Here's a link to the source:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...awesome+floats

Also, here's some shots I took to show how they will look.

Don

Name:	Taylorcraft-&-floats-re-ins.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	80706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane Fun Floats.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	80707  

Last edited by donjiskra; 10-17-2008 at 01:36 PM.