Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Hi Voltage Anti Spark Remedy

Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Build Review Hi Voltage Anti Spark Remedy

Hi Everyone This is why I like Wattflyers I remembered a Thread about a Anti Spark Remedy when using 10 cells or more, the connectors would Spark and make a Loud Noise when hooking up the battery Connection, Well I had a Similar Problem when Hooking up a 10000W 24V to 110V Inverter that I bought, The Inverter came with battery type clamps and when hooking up the inverter to the Batteries, I got a Nasty Spark and bang when the Capacitor would charge up, Not good around lead acid Batteries I forgot what OHM Rating Resistor to use, Wattflyer to the Rescue 1 to 2 OHM Resistor OK off to EBay to order some Resistors
I Live in So Calif. and we are Having Black outs all over, had a Black Out just today, but it did not last to long, My Remedy for the Black Outs is to go Solar with a Back up 3500W Gasoline Generator, it will be A Portable Generating Device. so Family can use it too if needed.
I bought a Used 4X8 Trailer on Craigs list, I had 3 - 175W 24V solar cells laying around and I bought 1 more, its a 250W 24v solar cell, so that gives me 775W of Total Solar Power, and I have 8 12v group 24 Batteries, so I hooked them in Series/Parallel for 24V I am getting some Truck 8D batteries later on, so these Batteries will be Ok for now, I bought a 100 AMP Solar Controller, Its a Over kill but the controller will last forever just Idling along I dont think the 4 panels hooked in Parallel will ever produce 40 amps and I made sure to add Fuses, 15 Amp per Panel and Diodes to the Panels so they dont Back Feed hooked in Parallel, I used the Solar System today when soldering in the last Diode, I was using a 100W soldering Gun, and the Solar System did not even break a Sweat It was running on the batteries surface Charge and did not even go below 24.5V at night The 10000W inverter is a Over Kill too, but I want to use 5000W Continuis , So Far so Good Take care, Chellie

https://wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62612&highlight=anti+arc+spark

https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48923&page=2

Last edited by CHELLIE; 10-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Ok, I Ordered some 1 ohm 1/2 Watt Resistors, anybody with more electrical Knowledge than me ,please Chime in and let me know if you think a 1 ohm 1/2 Watt Resistor will be enough to charge the Inverter Cap to prevent a Spark when hooking up the Inverter to the Batteries. there will be a separate Positive battery 12 gauge wire with the 1 ohm 1/2 watt resistor inline with a small battery clamp, this will be hooked up first to the battery the Neg Battery clamp will be hooked up , then the Main Pos. Battery cable clamp will be hooked up after about 30 Seconds of cap charge time to hopefully prevent a BIG ASSS Spark LOL

Last edited by CHELLIE; 10-29-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I bought 10, 1 OHM 1/2 Watt Resistors, I may have to add More Resistors in Parallel if 1 resistor is not enough, I guess This will be a Trial and Error Project Story of my Life LOL
Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

For years - I suffered 'outs' especially in winter when weather would bring down power lines. Latvia still today is criss-crossed by overhead power cables and only in the towns are they underground.
I had a nice HandyGen of 3kw which I had sorted that in event of power cut - we switched out town breaker and plugged genny into any domestic socket and started it. Everything was great - it worked well. Any power cut we had - we were fine. We probably used that genny 10x or more.
I was away on business one time and my 'handyman' had the job of powering up the house. Everything was fine until town power came back on again ... and the genny went up in smoke ! He had forgotten to switch out the town power breaker. That genny then took full load from town into it.

I returned and found a blackened charred relic of a HandyGen ... repairs were more than cost of a replacement. I bought another but unfortunately 4stroke engine models were not available locally and I needed one quick.

That new genny has sat in the store for a number of years now never used !! Shortly after I bought it - Electric company decided to bury our power lines underground and since then we've only ever had a very short 1 - 2 hour cut once. Our system was to wait the 1 - 2 hours before using Genny ..
Old 10-30-2019, 11:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Nigel Poor HandyGen I Bought a few Power inverters, I have 2 that are 12V to 110V 2500W and a 3500W and one thats 10000W 24V to 110V I just got the 24V to 110V 10000W recently, its a Modified Sine Wave Inverter, I stole it on EBay for $119.00 US, I dont remember the 12V inverters making a Sharp spark when hooking it up to the Batteries, I have had to use my older Inverters a few times in the past when we get bad weather, they have saved $100s of dollars of food in the refrig they have paid for them selfs, In California, they are playing Games, I think its all Rouge Gov. Starting Fires, Calif is Broke and i think they want Fed Help Money, Take Care Nigel
Old 10-30-2019, 12:22 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Yep ... sad reading about power cuts to avoid fires etc.

You take care Lass ...

I have never heard of sparking from inverters ... but then again - I've never used such high power jobs. Is there no way to fit a high power sparkless breaker switch in the line ?
Old 10-30-2019, 12:31 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Nigel I dont know if there is a way to fit a high power sparkless breaker in line, thats something to look into, thank you for the info, I bought some more resistors on EBay, these are 1 OHM 5 Watt resistors, I had a few people tell me that the 1 ohm 1/2 Watt Resistors might not be big enough, Take care, Chellie
Old 10-30-2019, 01:01 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I think best to ask "@kyleservicetech" ...... its more in his field of expertise than anything I know !!
Old 10-30-2019, 04:25 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Don't increase resistance value, and thus charge time, too much. The controller might detect underdetect number of cells during ESC initialise.

Resistor calculator
home.kpn.nl/ronvans/scriptasylum
→ electrical
→ no spark resistor

Brian G. pulled the plug on his ScriptAsylum site, just I copied it.
His statement:
www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?p=431754
Old 10-30-2019, 04:33 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

"The spark is your friend" (CastleCreations).

No spark, then input caps are dead and rest of controller will soon follow (spikes higher than batteryvoltage). Preferably taking plane down with it
Explanation
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?952523-too-long-battery-wires-will-kill-ESC-over-time-precautions-solutions-workarounds

On the other hand, too big a spark is bad for connectors. Not to mention your nerves.
Solution: move the spark to a cheap extra sacrificial connector.
The extra/very thin wire will reduce current, no need for resistor, or choose resistor small enough to reduce spark but still visible/audible. You'll still hear a (weaker) spark as an ok signal/indication.

from
www.mgm-compro.com (professional) &
www.mgm-controllers.com (hobby)

Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
Don't increase resistance value, and thus charge time, too much. The controller might detect underdetect number of cells during ESC initialise.

Resistor calculator
home.kpn.nl/ronvans/scriptasylum
→ electrical
→ no spark resistor

Brian G. pulled the plug on his ScriptAsylum site, just I copied it.
His statement:
www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?p=431754

Ron ... Chellie is not talking about ESC's or flight .... she's talking Inverters and power for her house !
Old 10-31-2019, 12:54 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

I read to fast apparently However, anti-spark principle is the same, an ESC too is an inverter and a switching power supply.

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 10-31-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thank you Ron for chimming in
Old 11-07-2019, 02:58 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thumbs up SUCCESS I am a Happy Camper Now :)

Hi Everyone I added a Anti Spark Device to my 24V to 110V Inverter, its a 12 Gauge wire with a 1 OHM / 5 WATT Wire wound Resistor and a Battery Clamp, its Hooked up to the Red Pos Battery hook up at the inverter and it works great No more sharp Arc and Bang when I hook up the Main Battery Lead, I Hook up the Neg Battery Clamp First, Then Hook up The Anti Spark Device with the 1 OHM / 5 Watt resistor in line, wait about 15 Seconds, then hook up the Main Pos. Battery Clamp, No More Ark and Bang Only a very small spark is Noticed when i hook up the Anti Spark Device, its the Spark that you would get when hooking up a Test Light or Volt Ohm Meter to a Battery, I am a Happy Camper now Take Care, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_0035.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	187707   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_0036.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	187708   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_0037.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	133.5 KB