General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Turnigy AE-45A ESC Question

Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 PM
Flysfloats

Default Turnigy AE-45A ESC Question

I tried to install this esc after another esc failed in my Fun Cub and have a problem. When I turn on my transmitter and then connect a battery to the esc I get a beep, beep, beep, slowly and nothing changes, beep, beep, beep. During this time no servos will move. When I turn off the transmitter, the esc continues to beep, beep, etc. I have checked the receiver with another esc and it functions normally. The throttle position, initially low and trim low, doesn't appear to change anything, like changing the beep frequency etc.

Suggestions are hoped for. Thanks, FF
Old 10-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

This should be the instruction manual.
Some ESC's will make quite a bit of noise, A friend of mine has one plays music when it is ready.

https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/...X186728X32.pdf
Old 10-24-2019, 10:54 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Some ESC's will not prgram the throttle range without pulling trim all way down. This was a common problem with the Red Brick series HK sold.

Basically the usual and preferred way to program throttle is :

1. Remove prop from model.
2. Switch on Tx and put throttle to MAX - make sure Throttle is ACTIVE ... do not have Throttle OFF switched in.
3. Plug in flight battery and power up model
4. When you hear single first BEEP - immediately bring throttle stick to MINIMUM position.
5. Let ESC / motor beep again ... do not move throttle stick again
6. Power off both model and Tx.

Now try to start up normally and see what happens. You may find that you need to engage throttle to get it to initialise. Once initialised - you can then go back to Throttle OFF for safety.

If this does not work ... try #4 but also same time moving Trim all way down. Once programmed trim can return to normal.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:53 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by Flysfloats View Post
... When I turn on my transmitter and then connect a battery to the esc I get a beep, beep, beep, slowly and nothing changes, beep, beep, beep. ...
The controller is trying to tell you something in beep/morse code, using the motor as a poor loudspeaker.
Look up or google (make/type manual/instructions beep code) the code.
On Futaba transmitters you must reverse ESC control.

Originally Posted by Flysfloats View Post
... When I turn off the transmitter ...
Safety: always turn ESC and power system off before turning Tx off. Always turn Tx on before turning ESC and power system on.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:18 AM
Flysfloats

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try, probably tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

If you fly on RC Planes on floats. Everyone here in the Olympia - Shelton that flys off water coats their receivers and speed controls with Corrosion X.
It forms a microscopic layer of waterproofing to protect wiring and circuits from water. Available in marine shops, protects wiring from salt water.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:15 AM
Flysfloats

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
If you fly on RC Planes on floats. Everyone here in the Olympia - Shelton that flys off water coats their receivers and speed controls with Corrosion X.
It forms a microscopic layer of waterproofing to protect wiring and circuits from water. Available in marine shops, protects wiring from salt water.
Very familiar with Corrosion X and ACF 50 and others. I owned a Cessna 185 for 8 yrs and half the year it was on floats in BC and the other half of the year on wheels in Baja, WONDERFUL times, best of my 35+ yrs of owning and flying GA planes, sigh. I have not flown any float planes since we moved to WA in Aug of '12, full scale or r/c. While in BC I lived on a lake and flew both full scale and r/c off floats. I pretty much avoided salt water with the 185 and IF I landed in salt I made sure I quickly landed in fresh water as soon as I could.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:36 PM
Flysfloats

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Some ESC's will not prgram the throttle range without pulling trim all way down. This was a common problem with the Red Brick series HK sold.

Basically the usual and preferred way to program throttle is :

1. Remove prop from model.
2. Switch on Tx and put throttle to MAX - make sure Throttle is ACTIVE ... do not have Throttle OFF switched in.
3. Plug in flight battery and power up model
4. When you hear single first BEEP - immediately bring throttle stick to MINIMUM position.
5. Let ESC / motor beep again ... do not move throttle stick again
6. Power off both model and Tx.

Now try to start up normally and see what happens. You may find that you need to engage throttle to get it to initialise. Once initialised - you can then go back to Throttle OFF for safety.

If this does not work ... try #4 but also same time moving Trim all way down. Once programmed trim can return to normal.

I have tried this and no success, BUT, I have a need for clarification please. Initially where do you have the throttle trim, all the way up or down? I tried both, no difference.
Your last suggestion is to "try #r but also same time moving Trim all way down." This assumes that you start with the trim all the way up, correct? And as you pull the throttle down you are also holding the trim down.

Very frustrating to say the least. About one or two more tries and then- - -!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:42 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

NEVER have Trim all way UP when starting programming an ESC .... the correct position is the MID 'zero' point.

If as per some of the Red Bricks that fail to program with trim at mid setting ... you pull it all way DOWN to augment the throttle stick. Once set - trim can be returned to its mid point ...

There are other things that affect ESC throttle programming ...

Throttle Hold
Throttle OFF / ON switch
Throttle curve
Throttle Trim setting

trying to think of others ... but thats the main ones ..