Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Aiming camera fitted to baseball cap brim ?

Old 07-26-2020, 03:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Aiming camera fitted to baseball cap brim ?

I have two Soloshot Robot camera's but they are expensive rubbish to be honest and I have to fall back onto a Hatcam so often ......

But like today - I have terrible trouble trying to get the vertical and horizontal set so camera frames the model.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this ? I wondered if there is an attachment that could be in front of the eyes to aim ?

I have a GoPro 4 with WiFi feed to a remote display - but that actually does not help as I look down at display - the camera is as well !! The GoPro 4 is a heap of junk anyway and eats battery's ...
Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I used to work construction, and as a result I have a bunch of hard hats laying around. I am going to take one and bolt my video camera to the top, and then rig 2 rectangular wire frames lined up in front of my dominate right eye.

I figure the one closet to my eye will be small and of course the one a few inches forward will be larger.
I will set up the camera hat on a stand and aim it at some object and then make adjustments to the wires so that when I see the plane enclosed inside the wire grid, it will be in the picture. A smaller frame inside the larger one could be used for telephoto.

I hope it works and doesn't look too stupid.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have Hard Hats as well ... from shipping days ..

I'm sure that Chellie created an aiming device for a camera .... must ask her !!
Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I tried using a hat and gave up. Then probably 4-5 years ago I tried what you see in my pictures for my Mobius camera. I took one of those fake credit cards you get in the mail and used my heat gun to bend it so it provided a shelf to hot glue the camera to and then slip over the temples of my sun glasses that I always wear when I fly. It's ugly as sin and I've thought about whipping up something to 3D print but this works so good that I figure why change it?

Because it's mounted to the temple on the glasses the camera is ALWAYS filming in my line of sight.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius (1).JPG
Views:	6
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	188147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius (2).JPG
Views:	6
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	188148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius (3).JPG
Views:	5