Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Easystar 2 power question

Old 05-02-2020, 11:43 PM
Gary27

Default Easystar 2 power question

Hey everybody, back again into RC (you know old hobby and more spare time nowadays). Bought a EZ2 and now I need to motorize it. Been looking on HK but they seem to have only motors with the shaft on the wrong side or out of stock motors. So I came across the following:

https://www.banggood.com/nl/Racersta...r_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/nl/SURPASS-...r_warehouse=CN (the 1300kV)

https://www.banggood.com/nl/Sunnysky...r_warehouse=CN

With the little knowledge I have I would say I would have to go with the Sunnysky or the Surpass. The Racerstar would deliver the least watts with the 7x6 standard folding prop.

My questions are:

1) Am I right that these motors have the shaft mounted on the correct side? I dont like to modify parts (also dont have a press or something like that).

2) Are the shafts long enough? What is considered a standard shaft lenght?

3) In none of the specs I see info for a 7x6 prop although some come close. If I spin a prop with a smaller diameter than specified I would have less torque. But are there other things that I have to consider? What happens to the motor if you spin a smaller diameter prop?

4) Whats up with the diameter of the Sunnysky? Why does it have a smaller diameter than the other two motors?

5) I read that I should get a motor of 1000-1500kV because of the standard prop. On the other hand, I installed a 2200kV motor in my Easystar 1 turning a 6x4 APC. Why can I use a higher kV motor in that certain case?

6) Am I right that the Surpass (promises to) deliver some more watts? Think its marginal and I dont need a speeddemon and I dont carry FPV gear so I dont need them, just want to know.

I hope someone can help out. Hoping to get smarter!
Old 05-04-2020, 01:02 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Gary27
The Watts any specific motor generate is determined by the battery voltage (the number of cells) and the size (diameter and pitch) of the prop. A smaller prop than the recommended simply will generate less power and thus thrust.
The motors you have identified all have adaptors with them so the prop can be fitted on either end. It depends on how the motor is mounted in the Easystar determines whether you need the adaptor or not. If you use an adaptor you have to make sure their is a hole long enough in the back of the motor mount for the motor shaft to poke into.
The folding prop included in the RTF versions of the Easystar II is a folding 7x6. I don't know if this is the maximum diameter that can be used but 7" is a bit small for any of the motors on your list when using a 3s battery so I would not expect any more than 170W from any of them. The Sunnysky x2216-7 1400kv would probably be the highest. Nevertheless at an all up weight of 700 g (1.5 lbs) 170W would still give 113 W/lb which although not sparking would give a perfectly adequate performance.
Using a larger prop would raise the power generated by any of the motors in your list up to their maximum Watts. Too big a prop will over load the motor, speed controller and battery which tends to end up rather expensive to put right.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Gary27

Thank you for the reply! I ordered the Sunnysky and Surpass. I will keep you posted on the results.