Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Scratchbuilt Foamies

Old 07-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

And here is another pic. of the progress of the Mini 3DXMore to come.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

And now to bring her up to date here is the latest pic.

Got the tail feathers on and servos hooked up and working. Motor is in but no speed control yet.
Still a little to do on the fuse and then start the wing.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

And now the wing is started.Here is a pic. of the edge being clamped after spreading the epoxy.After the epoxy dried i sanded all the edges to shape and layed out the paint scheme, then painted it.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Here is the next picture after putting the 2 halves together and painting and installing into the fuse and installing the ailerons. Still more work to do.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

And here is the final picture of the Mini 3DX

Now for a maiden.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 AM
cassat

Looks great Crash ! Was wondering what you sandwiched in the wing for a spar? Or did you use one?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Default Mini 3DX

Originally Posted by cassat View Post
Looks great Crash ! Was wondering what you sandwiched in the wing for a spar? Or did you use one?
In this plane i used a 3/16th dowel and tapered it at the ends. Usually i rip a yardstick and use one a 1/4inch wide. Either one works real well to stiffen the wing.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
cassat

Yeah, that is similar to my idea also. I was thinking of the barbeque skewers since they are about 12 or 13 inches long and quite stiff.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Default scratchbuilt foamies

Yeah, Skewers are good too
I use them for wing stiffners,wing struts on high wing planes and pegs for wing tie downs.
They are cheap too.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well no maiden flight yet.
Too windy around here today.
Haven't had much success doing maidens in the wind.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Don E
Yup !

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Well no maiden flight yet.
Too windy around here today.
Haven't had much success doing maidens in the wind.
Good call I'd say. Me neither.

You build some good looking planes!

I see that you build the wing in two pieces. How do you join them?

Thanks

Don
Old 07-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by foamondabrain View Post
Good call I'd say. Me neither.

You build some good looking planes!

I see that you build the wing in two pieces. How do you join them?

Thanks

Don
I lay out the wing half's on a piece of wax paper, set the dihedral if any with blocks, insert what ever spar im using and epoxy the half's together. In this plane i used a 3/16 dowel for the spar.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well the maiden didn't go so well the eng. didn't have enough power and i crashed it twice and ruined the fuse so i decided to make another one.Here is a pic. of the second Mini 3dxNo maiden on this one yet.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

well, we'll wait on the V2's maiden report...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:19 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Man you crank out some awesome planes fast.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Still no maiden on this one. I went to maiden it and the motor would barely pull. I put the Batt. that i have been using for ever in another plane and the same thing. I have ordered a new Batt. Should have it by the end of the week.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Man you crank out some awesome planes fast.

That's because he has to. Did you not notice his name?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Tucson Don
Tucson Don

Location: Tucson, AZ where conditions are great for model flying

Scratchbuilt foamies are the way to go for me. I am using depron and blue
foam and some really smooth white foam from B.P Hobbies. A nice model
can be built in a week of spare time and cost is minimal. Felt tip markers
and water based paints wil give color and graphics.
Don Santee
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Tucson Don View Post
Scratchbuilt foamies are the way to go for me. I am using depron and blue
foam and some really smooth white foam from B.P Hobbies. A nice model
can be built in a week of spare time and cost is minimal. Felt tip markers
and water based paints wil give color and graphics.
Don Santee

do you have any build threads?

maybe a color your model, tips thread?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
kaos2

Default Regal - w/KF Wing

I'm sharing a new KFm winged aircraft I designed that we call the Regal. The idea for this plane started about a week ago when my son requested that I design a new sport plane for him that would be a blast to fly. It's made from Fan-Fold-Foam or Blu-core. We spent some time discussing what he wanted his new plane to be abled to do, and we settled on a full fuselage, mid wing design with a KFm airfoil. The wingspan was 40", with a straight leading edge and a tapered trailing edge.

Weight - 17.4 oz (after paint)
Power - 2410-09Y
Prop. - eflite 11 X 4.7
Battery - TP 1320 mAh

This is my son's flight review: This thing flies amazingly well! The slow flight characteristics are very nice, it flies VERY slow and the wing does not appear to tip stall at very slow speeds. When I pulled power off and held full up elevator, it maintained a steep glide with a slightly nose-up attitude, and again, the ailerons had good authority throughout. Knife edge flight was easy and there was little coupling. All that was required was a little down elevator to fly knife edge straight. She hovers easily. The ailerons seemed to have more authority than normal in the hover, but I'll have to fly it more to be sure. Entering flat spins (both normal and inverted) was very easy, and the aircraft had exceptional aileron control (especially inverted) and was very nice throughout. Also, for flat spins, the forgiving nature of this design makes "bailing out" of these maneuvers very easy. Likewise, maneuvers like waterfalls and so on are quite stable. The rudder on this plane allows me to "whip" the tail around and perform many of the other more radical things, but this also flies much more like a "real" plane. The KFm wing seems to let this plane "groove" much more like some of the larger nitro birds I've flown (like the Kaos), while simultaneously giving me the best of the foamies (namely amazing slow flight and ease of use). The most striking thing for me is how quickly this plane can go from fast "grooving" flight to very stable slow flight. Obviously these are just my first impressions, but as I spend more time flying I'll be sure to update you on its performance.

Another follow up review: I have flown the Regal a couple times now since my last post and I am still very happy with how well this plane flies and with how good it looks in the air. The KFm wing is fabulous for sport/3D flying! Because it is very forgiving at slow speeds it is a blast to fly low and slow both upright and inverted. Also, this plane will snap roll, which is something some of my other foamies were incapable of doing.

Normally I have found that half throttle gives me a good speed for just flying around, and it hovers around 3/4 stick. (Of course there is unlimited vertical performance at full throttle)

We also have plans and a couple of videos showing this plane's abilities. I've built an experimental version of this plane which flies exceedingly well. It's a winner!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ET & ET 1.0.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	955.6 KB
ID:	36354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regal Paint 2.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	36355  
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Default Scratchbuilt Foamies

Hey there Kaos2, thats a great sounding airplane you have there. It looks very simular to the Mini 3DX
I hope mine flys as good as you describe yours flying.
When i get my new Batt. i will find out how she flys.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Prof100

Originally Posted by kaos2 View Post
I'm sharing a new KFm winged aircraft I designed that we call the Regal. The idea for this plane started about a week ago when my son requested that I design a new sport plane for him that would be a blast to fly. It's made from Fan-Fold-Foam or Blu-core. We spent some time discussing what he wanted his new plane to be abled to do, and we settled on a full fuselage, mid wing design with a KFm airfoil. The wingspan was 40", with a straight leading edge and a tapered trailing edge.

Weight - 17.4 oz (after paint)
Power - 2410-09Y
Prop. - eflite 11 X 4.7
Battery - TP 1320 mAh

This is my son's flight review: This thing flies amazingly well! The slow flight characteristics are very nice, it flies VERY slow and the wing does not appear to tip stall at very slow speeds. When I pulled power off and held full up elevator, it maintained a steep glide with a slightly nose-up attitude, and again, the ailerons had good authority throughout. Knife edge flight was easy and there was little coupling. All that was required was a little down elevator to fly knife edge straight. She hovers easily. The ailerons seemed to have more authority than normal in the hover, but I'll have to fly it more to be sure. Entering flat spins (both normal and inverted) was very easy, and the aircraft had exceptional aileron control (especially inverted) and was very nice throughout. Also, for flat spins, the forgiving nature of this design makes "bailing out" of these maneuvers very easy. Likewise, maneuvers like waterfalls and so on are quite stable. The rudder on this plane allows me to "whip" the tail around and perform many of the other more radical things, but this also flies much more like a "real" plane. The KFm wing seems to let this plane "groove" much more like some of the larger nitro birds I've flown (like the Kaos), while simultaneously giving me the best of the foamies (namely amazing slow flight and ease of use). The most striking thing for me is how quickly this plane can go from fast "grooving" flight to very stable slow flight. Obviously these are just my first impressions, but as I spend more time flying I'll be sure to update you on its performance.

Another follow up review: I have flown the Regal a couple times now since my last post and I am still very happy with how well this plane flies and with how good it looks in the air. The KFm wing is fabulous for sport/3D flying! Because it is very forgiving at slow speeds it is a blast to fly low and slow both upright and inverted. Also, this plane will snap roll, which is something some of my other foamies were incapable of doing.

Normally I have found that half throttle gives me a good speed for just flying around, and it hovers around 3/4 stick. (Of course there is unlimited vertical performance at full throttle)

We also have plans and a couple of videos showing this plane's abilities. I've built an experimental version of this plane which flies exceedingly well. It's a winner!
Can you post a link to the videos?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:10 AM
kaos2

Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Can you post a link to the videos?
Sure. No problem. There are links to (2) videos and plans, along with pictures on the first post.

Here's the link. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712006
Old 07-26-2007, 08:10 PM
kaos2

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Hey there Kaos2, thats a great sounding airplane you have there. It looks very simular to the Mini 3DX
I hope mine flys as good as you describe yours flying.
When i get my new Batt. i will find out how she flys.
Thanks Crash. Your full fuse' Mini 3DX looks very nice as well. If she flies as good as she looks, you'll be fine.

Some time down the road, I'd highly recommend that you consider trying a wing with a top step Kline/Fogelman airfoil. They fly very well. Much better that a flat plate, and not near as much work as a built up wing. Just an idea.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Prof100

kaos2,

Could the KF wing be added to the Great Planes Flat Outs or any flat winged airplane (3D or sport)? I am thinking yes, but what are the critical parameters? I see you want to position the CG in front of where the upper edge terminates. What is the ratio of upper surface to lower flat surface? If so, the existing carbon fiber spar or wing support negates the need of spruce spar. You could simply use a piece of fanfold that's cut to the right height and width.

Or, am I simply whistling Dixie on the idea?

Last edited by Prof100; 07-26-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Scratchbuilt Foamies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10506 seconds with 12 queries