Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Building a foamy around a wing

Old 07-03-2020, 06:10 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Default Building a foamy around a wing

I have an existing airfoil foam wing, 33" wide by 6" I had it mounted on a foam fuselage that measure 25" a Cub high wing. The fuselage is beat up, and I want to build a new one. I can use the exact same dimensions or make some changes. The original fuse I made was out of heavy pink foam. The new one will be made from sheets of depron I still have.

Any suggestions on staying with the same fuse size or making changes? With the airfoil shaped wing it tended to want to be tail heavy. I assume that was a CG issue but not sure. My goal is to make an easy flyer more on the trainer level to help others learn to fly. Or to just mess around with myself. Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2020, 06:44 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I would suggest looking through free plan sites and seeing what has similar to your wing ...
Old 07-04-2020, 04:25 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I would suggest looking through free plan sites and seeing what has similar to your wing ...
Thanks Nigel, good and simple idea. You prodded me just enough to go on a search. Found a simple balsa wood plan with solid plywood sides, top and bottom, I'm going to build it out of depron and see what happens. Wing size is almost perfect. Should be pretty light. It will be interesting to see where the CG ends up in relation to the plan which calls for a glow engine, etc.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2020, 03:33 PM
Abuelo

Might take a look at the Dick's Dream, a 34" foam wing plane from Ace RC. Outerzone has the plan, oz5747.

Originally for the Ace pulse rudder system and a PeeWee .020, flew fine and was the smaller of the Whizard series.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:59 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
Thanks Nigel, good and simple idea. You prodded me just enough to go on a search. Found a simple balsa wood plan with solid plywood sides, top and bottom, I'm going to build it out of depron and see what happens. Wing size is almost perfect. Should be pretty light. It will be interesting to see where the CG ends up in relation to the plan which calls for a glow engine, etc.

Jeff
What you can do is use wood strips to create a skeleton and then sheet with Depron ... that produces a strong rigid structure without weight.

I'm building a 93" span Lancaster with 6mm pine longerons, ply bulkheads and sheeted with 6mm Depron. Saving about 25% weight against the original ...