E-Flite P51 BNF - CG - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

E-Flite P51 BNF - CG

Old 05-18-2016, 01:34 AM
stanz358

Default E-Flite P51 BNF - CG

Hello All - quick question regarding CG on the EFlite P51 (44 inch Wingspan model) I get a little nervous when the CG described in the manual is nowhere near where I found it to be. So I thought I'd post here and see if anyone who does own one can perhaps shed some light on this.

I posted 2 photo's as well depicting what I'm trying to describe. The manual shows CG to be 1.47 " forward of the first seam behind the compartment on the leading edge (I think) at least that's how I interpreted it. And it goes further to suggest placing the battery in the center of the battery tray for starters. Well the battery tray in this thing is rather large and if I place the recommended battery (11.4v 2200mAh) in the center, with velcro straps evenly spaced from battery ends, this thing is extremely nose heavy. I wound up moving it pretty far back so now only 1 strap can secure the battery. I balanced it with this setup and it's good.

I have concerns because they call for placing it in the center of the tray and that's way off. The battery connector for the ESC is coming up right in the middle of the tray. And the description of where to measure CG from is a little vague. This is such a nice looking plane and the last thing I want to do is maiden it with the CG way off, especially tail heavy. That won't end well.

I've read this is a sweet flying model but also that it's a hand full on takeoffs? I'm expecting this to behave like a typical tail dragger on takeoff?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P51 CG.jpg (111.1 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg
Battery Tray.jpg (61.9 KB, 264 views)
Old 05-18-2016, 02:46 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Stick with the 37mm listed on page 9. You are using the correct seam from what I gather.

37mm equals 1.4566 inches or 1 29/64"

They may have changed a component or vendor and inadvertently added weight to the nose after printing the manual.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:11 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The CG as indicated in the manual, and as you correctly mark on the photo(37mm ahead of the panel line) looks good, that's what you should be aiming for.

I find it hard to believe that the plane wants to balance at the point you show on the top photo (well ahead of the wing leading edge)... Unless you have a huge lump of lead up front i can't understand how it could possibly 'naturally' balance so far forward.

How are you doing the balancing?.. Photos?