Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
Jimmyscott

Friends: (0)
Default 5200mAh series common used battery

5200mAh series (2S-6S) 15C lipo battery is one of the most common used batteries for UAV, drone and RC cars.
Doesn't matter what track you run or fly on. They are all OK! https://www.genstattu.com/5200mah-lipo.html
For the beginner, what do you think of this battery? Leave a message below pls.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5200mah.jpg (32.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Not sure what you are looking for but Gens Ace makes one of the better batteries. Only issue I see is the battery you have linked to is just a 15C rated battery which is very low and thus why it is inexpensive. Nothing wrong with a 15C if it meets the motor and speed controllers need. With a 5.2 AH battery means the speed controllers and motors maximum current total should be less than 15 x 5.2 = 78 amps. Sounds like a lot, but is NOT when you consider 78 amps is divided among 4 Speed Controllers and 4 Motors. It means your ESC would have to be 20 amps or less. Not a Drone or Quad kind of guy, but from what little I do know about Drones and Quads is they use a lot higher C - Rate than 15C.

So what is the minimum C-Rated battery you should use? Best answer comes from the Owner's Manual. If the OM is not available just look at the ESC Size and multiply by 4. Example if you have say 40-Amp ESC's, the battery would have to be able to supply 4 x 40 amps = 160 amps. If using a 5.2 AH battery would require a minimum 160 Amps / 5.2 = 30C minimum battery. A 30C 5.2 AH battery cost a lot more than a 15C battery.

FWIW, like I said I am not a Drone or Quad guy. but every Drone and Quad I have ever laid eyes on uses 30 to 50C batteries. That means a lot more $$$$ than a 15C battery cost.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
Jimmyscott

Actually drones don't require a lot of power, even for octocopter, there are 8 motors, most popular batteries all below 15c. the motors or esc's current, like 30AMps, doesn't mean it need 30amps, it says can not overload more than 30amps, or say 20amps actually. Less c rate here means less punch but longer flight time. And drones don't need punch, just make sure it can take off, just like make sure cars can run instead of run fast
Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Jimmyscott View Post
Actually drones don't require a lot of power, even for octocopter, there are 8 motors, most popular batteries all below 15c. the motors or esc's current, like 30AMps, doesn't mean it need 30amps, it says can not overload more than 30amps, or say 20amps actually. Less c rate here means less punch but longer flight time. And drones don't need punch, just make sure it can take off, just like make sure cars can run instead of run fast
Jimmyscott........I know you're here to promote your merchandise and share your product line, but please try to refrain from selling a sack of BS related to what is a "popular" standard for UAV and multi-rotor power requirements.
It's obvious you have little experience with multi-rotor craft or what is the standard "C" rate of the batteries used for multi-rotor with and without a payload. 99% of the guys I fly with use a "standard" C-rate of 30 or higher. Particularly if the craft carries a camera, GPS and FPV equipment, regardless of the battery voltage size 2s thru 5s.
As for ground vehicles, no one I know who is running 3s or more uses anything less than a 30c.....in fact most want the "punch" of a higher "C" factor for all of the obvious reasons.
In the future, please consider just sticking to what you know most about, marketing.......even that aspect is a lacking a bit of objectivity and transparence........!
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Phroz

Quiet a few vendors went for this low C rate drone battery idea, in theory you get more Mah for similar weight as lower MAH packs with a higher C rate. Problem I found in experimenting with 15c packs was the usable voltage gets lower sooner due to voltage sag toward the end of the pack. Found out the hard way when a hex decided to land its self in a very tall tree due to LVC levels creeping up on me much faster than I was anticipating. Not claiming to be the final word on this or anything, it was just my experience.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Jimmyscott View Post
Like I said I am not a Drone Guy, but I do know you are full of chit peddling junk.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers