Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)
Default Thought it time to drag out my old 450 SE V2

I replaced main gear wheel, main shaft, straightened flybar, new tail servo ... lubricated where needed ... charged up a 2200 3S ...

Set up SS3 on static camera mode ...

This Heli hasn't been out for a spin-up for maybe 2 yrs ! And to be honest I was not surprised at the failure you see in the video. I have a feeling the terrible tail
jerkiness may be a twisted belt ... not first time I have had that ...

Actually what had me put it aside before ... got fed up being more engineer than flyer !

It will now provide a winter project to strip and rebuild. I have another 450 to sort as well ...

You are all allowed to laugh !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Looks like some bad vibrations going on, most likely something bent or blades out of balance. Just need a thorough check over and a few bits changed most likely.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (13)

Fix that main blade tracking! Very clear to see in the video that it's out by a horrendous amount. Bent feathering shaft/linkage/bad servo etc etc? Fix the tracking first and then go after the tail if needed.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 11-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

With the winter having dumped on us .... this will be an item amongst all the rest to strip and rebuild. I have to admit that the Heli's were a craze I had but soon got fed up with.

The new workshop will give me the space and opportunity to work on this and the crashed models - as well as finally get my big Lancaster completed.

It would be good to see her at least hover though ... I have no expectation of doing 3D Heli flight !! Hover and Circuits would be fine ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Nigel,

In the video I can see an easy 1/2" out of track! That's massive! As long as the mainshaft and or feathering shaft aren't bent (DO NOT try to straighten them!) you should be able to make adjustments to the blade holder linkage to bring that tracking back into spec. I'm assuming the servos have been electronically centered and TX adjusted to require the smallest amount of trim to properly level the swashplate. You do use a swashplate leveler I hope. If you have everything right at the swashplate and no bent or damaged parts it'll be easy to bring that tracking back to where you can safely hover. I learned a long time ago not to ignore the basics with a heli. If you do even the micro helis will slice you to shreds. I have a few scars from those tiny little buggers to prove it......

Joe

Old 11-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi TJ ...
All the points are already on the list ... One of the main things I wanted to see ... Was whether the tail would play ball. Last time out - it refused to stop spinning round ...
If she had shown OK after servo change etc - I would have spent time on her immediately with leveller and pitch gauges etc. I have all the tools ...

Nigel

Old 11-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I honestly think you're "chasing your tail" until you get all that blade tracking taken care of. The vibration from that alone can throw the gyro into convulsions. Your blade angle gauge will get you in the ballpark unless your blades are total crap. Especially if you use the cheapest blades from HK. Use them only for stirring paint..... If after that you still have rudder direction problems then you likely need to reverse in the gyro or TX. Search for "Finless Bob's" setup videos on HeliFreak.com for absolutely the best gyro (and all heli) setup info available anywhere on the planet.

Joe

Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I honestly think you're "chasing your tail" until you get all that blade tracking taken care of. The vibration from that alone can throw the gyro into convulsions. Your blade angle gauge will get you in the ballpark unless your blades are total crap. Especially if you use the cheapest blades from HK. Use them only for stirring paint..... If after that you still have rudder direction problems then you likely need to reverse in the gyro or TX. Search for "Finless Bob's" setup videos on HeliFreak.com for absolutely the best gyro (and all heli) setup info available anywhere on the planet.

Joe
You're dead on Joe.......and Finless Bob's vid's are particularly very good for 450 SE's.......
Old 11-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Years ago I downloaded Finless and Mikey's bids ... They helped a lot .... My knowledge was then based on fixed pitch glow jobs from the 1980's.

The tail problem I am confident is down to twisted belt .... Not first time I've seen it.

But all points taken ... Just needs me to drum up interest in it again !!

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk