Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

hinges...

Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Yakfishingfool

Default hinges...

Got a BoT with the flimsy fuzzy covered hinges that have failed. Id like something better for the BoT. Maybe something pinned in? Whats available and recommended?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:27 PM
carpetbagger

I have used Dubro small pinned hinges - good. Requires a slot and glue - I prefer Aleenes Tacky or RC 56 canopy glue. Hinge points also work well but need a thicker surface for drill hole. Also try Blenderm Tape for light weight feathers.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Yakfishingfool

I was wondering if i could tape the rudder hinge on a bird of time. Might be too big for that.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:46 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I've used the "monokote hinge" method on up to .90 glow with no issues... for mild performance aircraft. That is not far removed from the clear packing tape hinges.

Bird of Time has relatively low loads on the hinges.

The #1 cause of failure for the fuzzy "CA hinges" is use of the wrong glue. THIN CA only. Medium and Thick tend to deposit solids in the hinge line which will stretch the hinge material and cause it to fail.
Thinner is better... cheap Dollar Store super glue that doesn't seem to hold anything else together seems to work really well. 6 drops per side of each hinge... it just wicks right in.

Excess gap and oversize hinge slots can also cause problems for the "CA Hinges"

Replacing with other types ... there are many types and just about any can work if installed properly.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:07 AM
Yakfishingfool

These appear to be fuzzy covered white plastic and the previous owner epoxied them in. The fuzz pulled off and the plastic pulled out of the hinge. Will have to look into the tape hinge. It should do fine. Anybody got a tutorial on putting the tape hinges on? Scott
Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 AM
carpetbagger

Default tape

I use Blenderm tape - medical stuff at the drugstore. Mine is 2" wide so I lay a strip on parchment paper (food store has that) and slice it into strips. 1/2" or 3/4" works for me, 1/4" for dinky planes. On the leading edge of the movable surface I cut that to 45 degrees pointy part on top - slide movable to fixed with a 1/64" gap lay strip of tape all the way down. Then you can fold the parts back and lay a strip of tape on opposite side = done. You do this after covering/painting. You have to work around control horns if already installed, no problem.

Monocote (any heat applied covering) works the same, and you can also use the non-heat sticky "trim" sheet as well.

Or you can get some Dacron thread and a needle and do the ol' figure eight sewn hinge!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

I've used everything from tape to ca hinges.
My favorite to use is pieces of tie straps. For larger planes just use a straight piece of tie strap. For smaller applications it can get a bit stiff. When that occurs I cut a v grove on one side of the piece to allow easier movement. Works like a charm.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If you have old floppy discs - open then up and use the mylar disc inside cut into strips. Simply knife blade slot in each surface, epoxy the strips in.

Nigel
Old 12-08-2014, 03:47 AM
RV Winkle

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
If you have old floppy discs - open then up and use the mylar disc inside cut into strips. Simply knife blade slot in each surface, epoxy the strips in.

Nigel
Now that is a a good use for those things. 5 1/4 or 3 1/2 or does it matter?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Any disc !

Nigel
Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Any disc !

Nigel
Yikes

I go back to having used those 8 inch floppy disks! They'd make a lot of hinges.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I still have a PC working that uses discs !! 5.25 and 3.5 .... BUT it is a modern high speed processor job. Just so happens that when the board went on it - the IT service guys replaced board and gear ... plugged in the disc drives as well !!

But just over 1meg is a bit limiting in these days !! I have shoe boxes full of discs from the old days ... and I have to admit a bit of sentimentality in breaking the discs open.

Nigel
Old 12-08-2014, 06:01 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

I still have a PC working that uses discs !! 5.25 and 3.5 .... BUT it is a modern high speed processor job. Just so happens that when the board went on it - the IT service guys replaced board and gear ... plugged in the disc drives as well !!

But just over 1meg is a bit limiting in these days !! I have shoe boxes full of discs from the old days ... and I have to admit a bit of sentimentality in breaking the discs open.

Nigel
Yup
Just one modern day flash drive can hold 20,000 floppy disks. No wonder the floppy disappeared.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup
Just one modern day flash drive can hold 20,000 floppy disks. No wonder the floppy disappeared.
The advent of OS systems that could handle larger capacity drives and the development of solid state RAM caused the death of floppies. That and USB.

For anyone interested ... there are some old utilities used to exact copy floppies ... ie Copyrighted discs to your own .... that despite having been written to cater for floppy discs will actually copy CD's and DVD's ... exactly.

Unlike USA - EU we are allowed to have own copies as long as we can produce original on demand ... this covers DVD movies, PC stuff .. etc.

Nigel
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

:p I still have a working 8088 4,77 mhz machine.

The only way to play original Tetris.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
:p I still have a working 8088 4,77 mhz machine.

The only way to play original Tetris.
Now you've started it !!

I have a Pc sitting on the side ... an old 486sx ... and reason for that ... my favourite game of all time is :

Wing Commander

I have tried using DosBox, as recc'd on later machines - but still it does not run properly. Wing Commander uses the memory manager utility that basically bypassed the old EMS / XMS crap ... > DOS4G

I'll have to fire her up again ... but suspect having not had her working for quite some time - battery may be dead on the board ...

Nigel
Old 12-19-2015, 08:03 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

I normally use hotglue hinges, but on the smaller ones I use double sided Scotch Tape. The same way that we used to use the cloth hinges where they're glued to the bottom of one surface, through the hinge line to the top of the other surface. The two pieces, one beside the other. Makes a light, tight , no drag hinge.

Gord.