Informal Clubs Club Talk

The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

That's good to hear. $14.99 for retracts doesn't sound like very much especially for that size bird. If there's anything we can do to help with the build sing out. I'm sure Josh won't mind my volunteering his service. We need a P-51 in the squadron.
Keep us posted.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
That's good to hear. $14.99 for retracts doesn't sound like very much especially for that size bird. If there's anything we can do to help with the build sing out. I'm sure Josh won't mind my volunteering his service. We need a P-51 in the squadron.
Keep us posted.
Thanks Dick. I'm still working on the Twister, but the P-51's next, lol. I was thinking about gluing the wings as one and cutting two holes on top near the joint for the servo wires...since I don't have a wing joiner...it's still up in the air right now.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Mike,

1) Did you get to ACE and find the spacers you needed?

2.) Did you say SIG made your P-51?

3.) Are you still planning on coming this weekend?

* If you get a chance please check your HK Spit retracts and let me know where they're placed and what the instructions might offer.
Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Well, I'm not that bright fellers.

I managed to fry my DX7 today because I was rushing the light mod - a total fluke. Everything was going according to plan - then... just before I wrapped things up I plugged in the battery to verify that the newly-installed LED was functioning, and a screw slipped out of my hand and landed on the RF board, causing a short which released the magic smoke. This will require a complete replacement of the RF module.

This blows, bigtime, as I don't have an Tx to fly with until I either have this one repaired or shell out for a new one. I'm arranging the repair with Spektrum ASAP, but I am also looking into whether or not I can move things around and get a new one.

So, I am in a pickle. I'm off to bed to kick myself some more.

josh

ps - dammit!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Default Messerschmitt M20b

Josh -
I bought some AMA plans for an M20b Messerschmitt German airlliner 30 years ago...and been waiting for this particular moment in time to build it. So what do you think? Instead of the Gamma it would also make a great project.

Orig designed for rubber power but would be a perfect conversion to EP.

Single Engine
Wingspan: 62"
Fuselage: 40"
Weight: unk

....and there's even a thread on RCG

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=729367&page=2
Old 12-17-2009, 06:13 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Sorry I haven't been replying guys, this has been one busy, crummy week. But it's Thursday and the end is in sight. The pictures from last weekend look Awesome! you guys rock.
Mike, that tiger striped F-16 is killer! It's great to see her in the air again.

I still haven't gotten anything airborne yet, but I'm taking a few days leave for Christmas and hopefully will remedy that then.

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I managed to fry my DX7 today because I was rushing the light mod - a total fluke. . .
Sorry to read that Josh, has Spektrum provided an estimate yet?

And finally,
This is still in pencil, but... I might be TDY up in FT Sill for a few weeks in March. If I can drive down, maybe we could hook up? I'll try and get the dates locked in and let you know.

'Later guys!
John
Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Dick...the P-51 is made by Evergreen Models. I'll ope up the Spit again this morning and let you know about the retracts...I'll even give you a call. I went all over town looking for an Ace Hardware and couldn't find it. I know I saw one somewhere...I'll check the phone book for the listing and address. I'd still like to come down this weekend too, plans really haven't changed.

Josh...sorry to hear about your DX7...if you want, you can use mine. I only fly my F-16 with it. I'll bring it this weekend and you can bind-n-fly. Feel free to use her to setup your planes any way you'd like friend.

John, if you can find a way to make it here and fly, I'll BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, I miss flying with you bro.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Sorry I haven't been replying guys, this has been one busy, crummy week. But it's Thursday and the end is in sight. The pictures from last weekend look Awesome! you guys rock.
Mike, that tiger striped F-16 is killer! It's great to see her in the air again.

I still haven't gotten anything airborne yet, but I'm taking a few days leave for Christmas and hopefully will remedy that then.

Sorry to read that Josh, has Spektrum provided an estimate yet?

And finally,
This is still in pencil, but... I might be TDY up in FT Sill for a few weeks in March. If I can drive down, maybe we could hook up? I'll try and get the dates locked in and let you know.

'Later guys!
John
Hey John - good to hear from you . If you get to do some flying over Christmas try and post some photos if possible. We'll be here. And if yo can make it down in March that would be great. Mike did an real admirable job flying by the way, after his 8 month separation from it. I wish I could say the same.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Well, I'm not that bright fellers.

I managed to fry my DX7 today because I was rushing the light mod - a total fluke. Everything was going according to plan - then... just before I wrapped things up I plugged in the battery to verify that the newly-installed LED was functioning, and a screw slipped out of my hand and landed on the RF board, causing a short which released the magic smoke. This will require a complete replacement of the RF module.

This blows, bigtime, as I don't have an Tx to fly with until I either have this one repaired or shell out for a new one. I'm arranging the repair with Spektrum ASAP, but I am also looking into whether or not I can move things around and get a new one.

So, I am in a pickle. I'm off to bed to kick myself some more.

josh

ps - dammit!
Josh, I overlooked your post. What a loss.... very sorry. Since Mike is offering his DX7 maybe that might work for you. I'd like to add my DX6i as available also if you care to use it. I hope this won't prevent you from flying this weekend.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Josh, I overlooked your post. What a loss.... very sorry. Since Mike is offering his DX7 maybe that might work for you. I'd like to add my DX6i as available also if you care to use it. I hope this won't prevent you from flying this weekend.

That is my immediate concern - however if Mike is gracious enough to let me borrow his for the afternoon I can directly transfer my numbers from mine to his temporarily so I can fly - but in the mean time I am buying a new one and sending the old one in for repairs.

I was half thinking about going nuts and getting the x9303 but I came to my senses.

Thanks for the offers guys.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

No worries at all Josh. Like I said, the only model I fly with it right now is the F-16. BTW, what's the weather lookin like for the weekend?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
No worries at all Josh. Like I said, the only model I fly with it right now is the F-16. BTW, what's the weather lookin like for the weekend?
~60 and partly sunny both days, a littl e nicer on Sunday.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Fredericksburg.html
Old 12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Looks like it will be warmer and less wind on Sunday.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default Spit Retracts.

Hey Dick, sorry it took me so long to get back to you man:o. I've got the Spit out and looked at the retracts. They are aluminum retracts and do not rotate...they fold up away from the fuselage. I think if I get the motor tomorrow, I might possibly have her ready for the weekend, minus the paint job...we'll see.

I'm just waiting on my Monster 25 motor to come in. I have everything else to build her. I know I need to go out tomorrow and get a new air compressor...the one I have is just too weak. To be honest, I never thought it was worth the money I paid for it.

I tried starting on the paint job on my Twister and it's not gonna happen with this compressor. I was hoping to have her ready by this weekend, but with me now losing a whole night's work, it's just not gonna happen.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Mike,
Here's the power calc link:
http://www.bungymania.com/bmdb.php
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Mike,
Here's the power calc link:
http://www.bungymania.com/bmdb.php
Thanks Dick.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Think you guys can help with a video and maybe some pics?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45008
Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Feel like I'm alone here guys, lol. Anyway, I'll be bringing my P-47 (duh), and my L-39 and F-35 for their maidens. Thinking about bringing the F-4 Phantom too. Think there will be enough room where we'll be flying?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Feel like I'm alone here guys, lol. Anyway, I'll be bringing my P-47 (duh), and my L-39 and F-35 for their maidens. Thinking about bringing the F-4 Phantom too. Think there will be enough room where we'll be flying?
I think so. Then again I think its a pretty big space, I think Dick feels a little restricted.

I'll be happy to take some video and pics for ya Mike.

let me know if there's anything besides control rods and the 4mm collet that you need me to bring.

josh
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks a million Josh! I should be good on everything else. I'll also be bringing the wall charger for my DX7 so you can fly during the week until you get yours back. Again, real sorry to hear about that man.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:08 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Thanks a million Josh! I should be good on everything else. I'll also be bringing the wall charger for my DX7 so you can fly during the week until you get yours back. Again, real sorry to hear about that man.
I really appreciate it Mike though honestly it was my own damn fault.

See you tomorrow!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:49 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

No problem at all bud. BTW, if you read this before you hit the sack...I might need another long control rod if you have one. I only bought two and cut one too short because I'm an idiot. That's what I get for trying to work on my planes and watch a recorded UFC fight at the same time, lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:52 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

No problem at all bud. BTW, if you read this before you hit the sack...I might need another long control rod if you have one. I only bought two and cut one too short because I'm an idiot. That's what I get for trying to work on my planes and watch a recorded UFC fight at the same time, lol.

LOL yeah man, my Dad was a carpenter for a good chunk of his life, and he used to tell that old joke all the time:

"I don't understand. I cut it twice and its still too short."

I'll grab the rod stock that I have before I hit the road.

lata
josh
Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Interesting reading about the dx7 and antenna position

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7358948
Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Interesting reading about the dx7 and antenna position

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7358948
Just read it...I always fly with the antenna straight out and bent up at a 45 degree angle. Never had a problem! BTW, here's some pics from yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC200038.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	116156   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC200040.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	116157   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC200043.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	116158   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC200044.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	116159   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190022.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	116160  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190021.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	116161   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190018.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	116162   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190025.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	116163   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190028.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	116164   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190029.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	116165  

Quick Reply: The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12339 seconds with 20 queries