Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

fly with your head,not over it..advise to begginers experience level

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

fly with your head,not over it..advise to begginers experience level

Old 05-29-2011, 01:37 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Default fly with your head,not over it..advise to begginers experience level

what a great day of flying here in NJ/NY area.i got 1 flight on the hog bipe and 3 on the tower hobbies uproar before the winds p/u to around 10mph with gust to"to much for me"...lol... so i sat back and watched pilots packing up while a new member was setting up the most beautiful twin motor ep model that had a 60+ inch ws made of balsa.

now my first thought was i should go tell him not to fly ,but then who am i to speak up, well i went over to his flight table and watched the finishing connections of duel batteries[one in each nacelles]and he handed me the remote......mind you ..i don't know this guy from Adam except i saw him with this plane when he got it new a few months ago.

anyway,to make this story shorter...lol[to late]he carried his beauty and i followed him to the flight line with TX in hand ,when i went to hand it to him he asked me if i wanted to fly it......a second of silence...

i wanted to as this plane is a beauty.....in a soft voice so the other pilots standing back couldn't hear i said" listen,you say you've flown this bird 3 times and want to know if i want to fly it.....i'v put my planes away cause it's to windy,i highly suggest you do the same.you don't have to fly it"

with that he took the TX and took off,to say the least he was over controlling so badly that i thought he'd crash any second. my bud tony and i both offered to take over but he seemed bent on bouncing around the sky.[i could hear the sound of balsa smashing to peices in my mind]

finally i said in a clear voice"man,hand over the TX so i can land for you" he did. with the futoba 10 ch TX in hand i flew this bird like it was on rails even in the gust she flew soooo nice,made a bunch of turns to get the feel of her flight and looked at the guy and said"shes awesome in the wind,must be you over controlling"

well after a little bounce i landed it nice enough with the nose gear only a little bent so he'll fly another day.

so beginners,fly with your head,not over it. theres no shame to breaking down an assembled plane at the field on a windy day,but feel a little ashamed if you do fly and crash....alsa,we all learn the hard way sometimes[i have] and windy days sharpen our skills,just don't throw caution to the wind and you money away on a windy day.

have a great memorial day weekend, remember the fallen ones who gave their lives for this countries freedom!!!Stu
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Terry.0132

And if you can set the conditions fly with the wind in your face and the sun on your back
Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

just did a search to show the plane i loved so much,it is the hangernine twin otter. she still is a beauty,and thats great cause i may ask this guy to let me fly her again on a good day...lol.

$499.99* List: $729.99 (HAN4610) *Avaliable at participating retailers

Hangar 9ís Twin Otter ARF provides a great scale introduction to twin engine flight. Based on the UV-18B Planes used by the USAF Academy cadet parachuting program, its high wing design and electric power option make it a great first-time twin.

Completion Guides
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 AM
constantCrash
prefectionist

"Just one flight, I came all this way." Is the most dangerous phrase in this hobby.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Or how about I think I will do one more battery not that bad yet.

Don't know how many times I have said that when I was starting out even though that little voice would be saying pack it up an go while you still can. Then I am packing up what was once a one piece fuse that suddenly turned into a two piece fuselage.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 AM
vvabello

Do anything possible toget stick time
Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

LOL.....and bring plenty of glue and tape.

if the birds a throwaway type like my airfoils yak[foamie profile]...up she goes! it does great on the windest days.

if it's a kit build that took many hr's to build and cost a pretty penny,and flys nice. i'm not going to chance it on to much wind.

so the moral to flying...bring more than one plane always when flying,cause some of the best days are fighting the wind and getting better at it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM
wolfewinde

I think flying in the wind is something you want to sneak up on a little at a time, unless you really like repairing airplanes.

Wolfe
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 AM
dkrhardy

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
"Just one flight, I came all this way." Is the most dangerous phrase in this hobby.

OR .... "it's not TOO dark!" Yep, lost a perfect, nearly new Super Sportster 48" balsa that way.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

or the time i said "i'll fly over those trees down wind from me" and the next words were"come back!!!come on skyfly,you peice of come back!!!!for crying out loud come on back!!!"

lol....i got lucky to get it back but my heart was pounding as it got smaller and wouldn't penatrate the wind on the return leg. the trees were huge and there was a brook next to the field to cross if search and rescue was needed. the sky fly was a 3channel brushed pusher plane with little power.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 PM
eflight-ray

"But flying looks sooooo easy, I've seen kids do it".

"Yes I have plenty of flying experience, I've spend hours on my flight sim".

"Trainer ?, why bother with a trainer when I want a jet".

Probably all heard before the, 10 seconds of uncontrolled 'flight'.

Perhaps RC models do look too easy to fly, and with the scale foamie ARTF/RTF models, too good looking to not buy the 'wrong' first model.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

What I did was to fly a 125 mph airplane with 50 mph experience, took me a week to find it.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

I don't know why I always see things differently from most people. It's a blessing or fault. Here's my take...

You must have some huge ego to take over somebody's plane in that situation. Not knowing if it's a poor pilot or completely unbalanced and untrimmed plane, but to think you're so awesome it doesn't matter.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

aaaaaaaa! so watching a pilot in trouble shouldn't be helped if you could help, as i might be perceived to have a huge ego,instead watch his flight standing at his side [as i was] to the bitter end and tell him "to bad bud,you shouldn't fly without a buddy box....lolol..i told you to break it down and put it away...lol...to windy,i told you so newbie..lmao at the wreckage that could have been prevented.

i would never do that!!!!!! to anyone

i don't have a huge ego,if you know pilots you'v respected,they have skills to help others and arn't affraid to step up to help fellow pilots. thats my feelings.thats what i do when asked...and again,i was asked to be by his side at the flight line.

i fly all the time and type here when i get home from work. my piloting skill are way better than 4 years ago and my confidence level is also one of a calm demeanor even in those low altitude moments when i wish i were a few more mistakes high...if you know what i mean.

i hang with all the pilots under a large carport type tent watching and talking to each other about everything under the sun ,including what pilots to watch out for and who should be on a buddy box till they get better skills,its club rules with over 250 members and a county property flying field.

so say what you like about my taking over ,but remember, he wanted me to fly his h9 first without knowing me from the very start i knew he was is serious trouble,as did tony, the other pilot there ready to help also ,and who's maidens planes for newbie pilots. consider as we did ,that this out of control flight might crash over the dpw buildings on the property and screw up our standings with Rockland county. i also saw that whether out of trim or out of his ability to fly that windy day ,i would bring his plane down to the field it belonged and not destroy it. he yielded to my taking the control willingly and after a split second i knew it was all pilot errors in the air[plane flew great!] and landed nicely in the gusts of wind to fly again another day.

on another day under the tent ,i found out from other pilots the guy is new to the club and needs to be with someone or buddyboxed till his proficiency /skills gets better. i would gladly stand by his side to assist any day of the week. this is how i started out...asking great pilots from another now extinct club to walk to the flight line with me a give me tips on how to fly.

so Octavius,i don't know you from Adam,but if you have the right stuff to fly and won't help fellow pilots to keep from wrecking there planes and becoming discouraged....then be that way....as for me i will always befriend the beginner and those pilots who need help,even at the risk of being judged by someone who take is as you stated. by the way...i'm not awsome....just someone who cares.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I wish I had you around Stu when I was learning to fly I needed that help in the beginning. I can't count the times I got myself in trouble and wish I could of handed the TX to someone to bail me out.

By the way Stu I lost my Sky Fly II flying in way to windy conditions down wind. That plane landed in one of the tall pines. I could see it, but never got her back. Those pines hold on to a plane like they have Velcro on them.

I like it when a more experienced flyer steps up to give me advice in my flying always constructive and makes me a better pilot instead of a bank and yank across the sky.
I am teaching a new guy to fly been a lot of fun, and I am hoping I can get him to do 2 take offs and landings by himself so he can fly at the club on his own. While I am helping him it reminds me of myself starting out. The panic, lost orientation, and that bad habit of going down wind with a light foam plane.
He has gotten pretty quick at handing the TX to me when he is in trouble, and I get to do the bail out. Glad to be there and contributing to a new flyer hope he gets the chance in his life to do the same for someone else.

Last edited by gramps2361; 09-22-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Stuart:: I don't think you awesome,,,I think your real awesome,
I think you causal approach was right on, I don't know if I'd done it but you did save a cool plane and know the guy or not he'll never forget you,
I let my club Kids fly most everything three mistakes high with no buddy box ( I need FM one) and they push the TX at me when things get hairy,, some at two-three years fly'in make me look a might newbie!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes_143.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	153190  
Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Another double thumbs-up Stuart. You did it as humbly as was possible in the circumstances and I don't think for a second that the new guy thought you were showing off or taking over. You saved his day and he knew it. Other people's opinions don't matter, including mine.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by vvabello View Post
Do anything possible toget stick time
Hey ,, I think I like you!!welcome to Wattflyer!,, bubsteve
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
aaaaaaaa! so watching a pilot in trouble shouldn't be helped if you could help, as i might be perceived to have a huge ego,instead watch his flight standing at his side [as i was] to the bitter end and tell him "to bad bud,you shouldn't fly without a buddy box....lolol..i told you to break it down and put it away...lol...to windy,i told you so newbie..lmao at the wreckage that could have been prevented.

I'll answer as if I didn't know this was sarcasm, and you didn't say otherwise so we have to assume this person is an adult.

Yes, I agree with you fully. I'm all for helping somebody, but adults should ALWAYS be allowed to fail if they decline help/advice (the part where you advised him it was too windy to fly but he did anyway).
Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

that was all sarcasm,not meant to be arogant..just kidding. sorry about that.

i know what your saying Octavius, this was a young guy in his 20's,I'm 55 and have a few years of life experience as well as rc experience over his...lol,he was very friendly and talked while he was setting up.

for the most part i am a soft spoken club member not afraid to raise my voice if needed. i want our field to remain safe for everyone who are near our location. many of the leaders of the club are very vocal as to who should fly without help.

if he showed any sign of not wanting tony and myself at the flight line i would have sat back down under the tent with the others who had packed up their gear do to winds and watched this hanger nine do the dreaded deep six as there was noway this guy was flying for much longer than when i took over. in that situation he would learn the hard way and never forget it.

I'll share a quick example of what your saying and why i agree. i used to hang glide at ellenville NY,i was able to soar the ridge,but was still a fledgeling [newbie]when i went to fly with my buddies who were very good flyers. it was to windy for me to fly..others who knew my ability said don't go till later when the winds die down . i took their advise. another fledgling who was visiting the mountain with his teacher was advised not to fly,but he choose to run off the mountain and got throughly trashed in the air.....he had to have crapped in pants!the day had lift everywhere[thermals]even out over the corn fields and he wasn't able to land without getting his butt kicked.20 minutes after running off the mountain he landed a 100 yards off the landing zone, in the middle of the corn field and left his glider sitting there for hr's....a lesson learned the hard way. he wasn't hurt . just freaked out at what happened.

i also made an error in judgment on my second high altitude launch [1300ft above lz]that resulted in a crash...but i learned the lesson..and that is where the line"fly with my head ,not over it "came about for me.a lesson learned the hard way.

i continued to fly for 3 years and stopped when i got married. flew ellenville ny,Tennessee lookout mountain,a Utah dune,and the best place ever was California Dunlap flight park[2300ft launch ramp]with thermal lift to 7000ft above lz.i always remembered that line.

if i offended anyone with any of my posting,i apologize as it never my intension to cause trouble. your fellow RC hobby enthusiastwho keeps both feet on the ground when i fly...lol...,Stu
Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
andrew.box

Great post and story, thanks Stuart!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
that was all sarcasm,not meant to be arogant..just kidding. sorry about that.

i know what your saying Octavius, this was a young guy in his 20's,I'm 55 and have a few years of life experience as well as rc experience over his...lol,he was very friendly and talked while he was setting up.

for the most part i am a soft spoken club member not afraid to raise my voice if needed. i want our field to remain safe for everyone who are near our location. many of the leaders of the club are very vocal as to who should fly without help.

if he showed any sign of not wanting tony and myself at the flight line i would have sat back down under the tent with the others who had packed up their gear do to winds and watched this hanger nine do the dreaded deep six as there was noway this guy was flying for much longer than when i took over. in that situation he would learn the hard way and never forget it.

I'll share a quick example of what your saying and why i agree. i used to hang glide at ellenville NY,i was able to soar the ridge,but was still a fledgeling [newbie]when i went to fly with my buddies who were very good flyers. it was to windy for me to fly..others who knew my ability said don't go till later when the winds die down . i took their advise. another fledgling who was visiting the mountain with his teacher was advised not to fly,but he choose to run off the mountain and got throughly trashed in the air.....he had to have crapped in pants!the day had lift everywhere[thermals]even out over the corn fields and he wasn't able to land without getting his butt kicked.20 minutes after running off the mountain he landed a 100 yards off the landing zone, in the middle of the corn field and left his glider sitting there for hr's....a lesson learned the hard way. he wasn't hurt . just freaked out at what happened.

i also made an error in judgment on my second high altitude launch [1300ft above lz]that resulted in a crash...but i learned the lesson..and that is where the line"fly with my head ,not over it "came about for me.a lesson learned the hard way.

i continued to fly for 3 years and stopped when i got married. flew ellenville ny,Tennessee lookout mountain,a Utah dune,and the best place ever was California Dunlap flight park[2300ft launch ramp]with thermal lift to 7000ft above lz.i always remembered that line.

if i offended anyone with any of my posting,i apologize as it never my intension to cause trouble. your fellow RC hobby enthusiastwho keeps both feet on the ground when i fly...lol...,Stu
Stuart:: No way no how you could offended anyone here I can think of,,
Your hang glide'in got me SOOOOOOOOOOo in envy of you!!
I see you have 100+ thanks,,, should be 400 as you one of the best posters on wattflyer,,,,your bub,steve
Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
I let my club Kids fly most everything three mistakes high with no buddy box ( I need FM one) and they push the TX at me when things get hairy,, some at two-three years fly'in make me look a might newbie!!
Steve, will you be at HHAEFI?

If so, I might be able to help you with that.

Here's the one I have...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...600_manual.pdf

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 10-05-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
I'll answer as if I didn't know this was sarcasm, and you didn't say otherwise so we have to assume this person is an adult.

Yes, I agree with you fully. I'm all for helping somebody, but adults should ALWAYS be allowed to fail if they decline help/advice (the part where you advised him it was too windy to fly but he did anyway).
It could well have been a matter of safety. If the pilot was unable to control the plane at his skill level, in the weather conditions he found himself in, and another club member was present that had better skills, then this action could have prevented an injury, or damage to someone's property, like a car.

Of course, the flip side of this coin is the what if... what if I was to take the controller, and it was the plane. The original pilot was doing a better job than I was able to, and I ended up crashing the plane, and/or hurting someone.

It's a tough call.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Steve, will you be at HHAEFI?

If so, I might be able to help you with that.

Here's the one I have...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...600_manual.pdf
I'd like to go and see the HodgeHounds and all the gang but I'm a tad short right now (5' 71/2") and low on funds as well (temporarily) but will dang sure TRY!
mines a JR XF421ex, will they work together? never had a buddy-box before but MustangMan put on his one time with a squirly plane of his I flew,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thank's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	153610  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11626 seconds with 12 queries