RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Flaperons with a Y harness

Old 01-18-2016, 03:38 PM
grant22

Default Flaperons with a Y harness

Is it not possible to do 'flaps' with a Y harness? Do I need to remove it and plug one aileron into its own channel? If so, what's the standard way of doing this?

Right or left into 'aileron' in the rx?
Remaining aileron into ? In the rx?

Also, on an easy glider, does anyone know if flaps are pointing up or down on this model? It seems the directions show 'up' but I've always seen flaps pointing down. What am I missing here?

Thx for any help
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

You cannot use a "Y" harness. You will need to plug each aileron into a separate channel. I might have this reversed but using a Spektrum TX/RX Left Aileron plugs into ch2 (aileron channel) and Right Aileron into ch6 aux channel. Not a glider pilot but I think down is flaps, and up is spoilers.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Have to be on separate channels like Dereck said. on spekkies it's Aileron and Aux1, then you have to tell the transmitter the proper wing type. And yeah, flaps down spoilers up.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:22 PM
grant22

Thx gents
Old 01-18-2016, 05:55 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Or get, or make, a reversed servo. If you are good with soldering and have a fine tip for your iron, reversing a servo is actually pretty easy to do. Then you can hook up both servos on a Y and only use one channel. This video can help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1ec2w21pA

I've done this several times and it works perfectly.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:11 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Or get, or make, a reversed servo. If you are good with soldering and have a fine tip for your iron, reversing a servo is actually pretty easy to do. Then you can hook up both servos on a Y and only use one channel. This video can help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1ec2w21pA

I've done this several times and it works perfectly.
I don't think will work on flaperons will it. If you did that the aileron function wouldn't work.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Correct.

With a Y you either get Ailerons or flaps. Not Flaperon mix.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 PM
grant22

Took the EasyGlider Electric out for its maiden today. Had the typical trim adjustments, but it flew fine, although its power is barely adequate.

This is the first time I've tried flaps (spoilers in this case). I'm glad I tried it up hi first.

I got to a landing speed turned on the spoilers and it basically near stalled and was in a pretty quick dive. I couldn't tell if it stalled first then dove......but from what I can tell my speed was near stall and the elevator mixed in put it into a dive.

So I'll play with that more later.

I can see why you almost need this function. This thing just wants to keep flying, so getting it down at a safe speed is pretty tough. But I did it without using the spoilers.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:01 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

One trick for getting a sailplane down is to put it so the wing is near vertical and hold full elevator. Some you have to hold rudder/aileron to prevent them rolling back level on their own.

For a 2 ch rudder-elevator sailplane this is the best way to get down fast. Straight diving has been known to rip wings off.

You can roll it inverted and use that to come down also. With the wing lifting downward you can bring it down without building excess airspeed. But this one is easy to accidentally build up airspeed and not realize it.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:14 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Ha ha, yeah. I was thinking flaps, not flaperons.