RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tactic radios - Who uses them?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Tactic radios - Who uses them?

Ok a friend bought me a new Flyzone Tidewater with the Tactic receiver already in it.

I either need to pick up a Tactic radio to use in it, Get the SLT module for my Futaba radio, or swap the receiver out for a FAAST Rx.

I see a pretty good real on RCG for a TTX650 with 4 receivers and am considering that and I can get any flzone plane and be transmitter ready...

Not sure if I want to that or just get the module. I really don't need another radio, but this is a pretty good deal.

Anyone need any tactic receivers? Maybe I could make some of the cost back selling them.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have four different radios not counting the WL toys stuff.

Tactic gets good reviews ... I don't have one - but I know someone who uses it .. he likes it.

Nigel
Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thanks Nigel.

I don't care for the idea of modules on radios and I don't want to dig that receiver out of the new plane so may go ahead and pull the string and get it.

If I get it I will have three different systems but it will help me close out the book on my 9303.

Will still have my Sons 9303 for ind and fly stuff.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

My RC car radio is a Tactic. Works fine. Better than the old FM that I replaced in the Tamiya Frog.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

pulled the string and bought it.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:46 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Nothing wrong with modules ... the old argument of signal latency is now debunked by later fast modules ...
They give a single radio capability to fly literally any brand Rx just by swapping .... Tx doesn't care what module as long as its correct physical form.

If I wanted to - I could have Futaba, Flysky, Frsky, Spektrum, JR, HiSki, Hitec .... just yo name a few .... all able to work via my 9xr.

Nigel
Old 11-12-2015, 02:41 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Never meant to imply there was issues with them. I just don't like them. I don't like Fords either so again, it just boils down to personal preference.

I did not pay much more for this Tx than it would have cost me to buy the SLT module, so ultimately that is why I went that route. Then if for whatever reason one of my radios is down I still have the ability to fly something.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Never meant to imply there was issues with them. I just don't like them. I don't like Fords either so again, it just boils down to personal preference.

I did not pay much more for this Tx than it would have cost me to buy the SLT module, so ultimately that is why I went that route. Then if for whatever reason one of my radios is down I still have the ability to fly something.
I have a pet hate of Fords after they shafted me on a faulty drive shaft. Caused massive damage to my new car ... and they refused to accept liability - even though it was a fault known to the industry. Just before it snapped going round the roundabout ... the car had been cruising at over 120mph .. so I was very lucky it happened after slowing down.

As for getting the Tactic ... I would have done same !! Why not ?

I actually smile at the adamant stand of some on brands ... I fly 9x, 9xr, Radio Link, JR, Futaba, WL Toys, and to be honest once fingers are on the sticks ... my mind just flies ..........
I gave up real competition flying years ago ... so being one with the radio for precision is no longer an issue ... I have my fav's ... but I will fly any radio as long as it's Mode 2.

Good one.

Nigel
Old 11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Fireman Bill, GET the TTX 850, its their top of the line ,has great features , easy to program , a great RED backlight you can see even on a sunny day, and just a great all around TX. and a steal at $179.00. All the Best fdnyjery aka JERRY
Old 11-12-2015, 03:58 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I have a pet hate of Fords after they shafted me on a faulty drive shaft. Caused massive damage to my new car ... and they refused to accept liability - even though it was a fault known to the industry. Just before it snapped going round the roundabout ... the car had been cruising at over 120mph .. so I was very lucky it happened after slowing down.

As for getting the Tactic ... I would have done same !! Why not ?

I actually smile at the adamant stand of some on brands ... I fly 9x, 9xr, Radio Link, JR, Futaba, WL Toys, and to be honest once fingers are on the sticks ... my mind just flies ..........
I gave up real competition flying years ago ... so being one with the radio for precision is no longer an issue ... I have my fav's ... but I will fly any radio as long as it's Mode 2.

Good one.

Nigel
I had a Ford F-250. It would not start if it was below 40 degrees outside. I spent about $1000 a year in maintenance on it and had to have it in the shop twice for new heads, fortunately while it was still under warranty. The last winter I had it and had the cold weather starting issues with it I was done. So frustrating to come out of work after a long hard day and you cant go home because your vehicle wont start. never again...

Originally Posted by fdnyjery View Post
Fireman Bill, GET the TTX 850, its their top of the line ,has great features , easy to program , a great RED backlight you can see even on a sunny day, and just a great all around TX. and a steal at $179.00. All the Best fdnyjery aka JERRY
Jerry that sounds like a good radio for sure, I just needed something for that Tidewater. I have my Futaba 14SG and it is an awesome radio. Still have my JR9303 for the bind and fly stuff too. Pretty much have the bases covered now I think!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:53 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

My brother has used Tactic modules and pistol grip TX's for rock climbers and ground pounders for several years (DSM2).......he likes the abuse they can take and the replacement cost aspects........range issues with a dozen or more vehicles on the ground course at the same time, don't seem to be a problem.
I have not personally used Tactic for any aircraft, but do know a couple of club guys who have them (used on smaller foamy models.....nothing big or expensive)..........
Old 11-12-2015, 06:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
My brother has used Tactic modules and pistol grip TX's for rock climbers and ground pounders for several years (DSM2).......he likes the abuse they can take and the replacement cost aspects........range issues with a dozen or more vehicles on the ground course at the same time, don't seem to be a problem.
I have not personally used Tactic for any aircraft, but do know a couple of club guys who have them (used on smaller foamy models.....nothing big or expensive)..........
DSM2 ... is that not Spektrum ?? Are you sure Tactic use DSM2 ?

Tactic uses SLT ...

http://www.tacticrc.com/slt/index.html

Nigel
Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The only thing I have against modules in TXs is:

If you are constantly switching them out, you can inadvertently bend pins resulting in an intermittent connection. There were issues with that and the Futaba FG series modules. I know people that had the problem swapping between 2 different FM modules a couple of times every trip to the field.

If the module is in and seated properly and just stays there... it will generally be fine. The guys who got the "dial a frequency" modules that had access to the dials without pulling the module never had the issue.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
The only thing I have against modules in TXs is:

If you are constantly switching them out, you can inadvertently bend pins resulting in an intermittent connection. There were issues with that and the Futaba FG series modules. I know people that had the problem swapping between 2 different FM modules a couple of times every trip to the field.

If the module is in and seated properly and just stays there... it will generally be fine. The guys who got the "dial a frequency" modules that had access to the dials without pulling the module never had the issue.

That would be my only concern. Not that I would change it for other modules but even taking it on and off to fly the native system of the Tx.

I have a good cell phone but after years of use I find the headset jack to not work as well. I use it a lot for streaming music when I drive and my runs. I guess anything like that when the plug is put in and out a lot will show signs of wear eventually.

Either way, New radio on the way so no worries now.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I did lose one model due to module moving .. The clips were not so strong and with my fingers folded round the case .. I must have caught a clip. After it crashed ... I noted a click as I pressed the module.

Now I make sure the clips are well home and not able to do that again.

Nigel
Old 11-12-2015, 06:58 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I did lose one model due to module moving .. The clips were not so strong and with my fingers folded round the case .. I must have caught a clip. After it crashed ... I noted a click as I pressed the module.

Nigel
I hate when stuff like that happens. It always seems like the little things that bite us and cause crashes and what not. It's always something isn't' it?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:31 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

DSM2 ... is that not Spektrum ?? Are you sure Tactic use DSM2 ?

Tactic uses SLT ...

http://www.tacticrc.com/slt/index.html

Nigel
Yeah...I had Spekie on the brain......his Tactics are SLT........
Old 11-13-2015, 02:52 AM
carpetbagger

Default Tactic 650

My first computer radio. I like it. Rx inexpensive and I have both single antenna and twin antenna Rx. Got my eye on the 850 and also the 8 channel Rx with end terminals. Other Txrigs, Futaba 4Yf and 4 channel Radiolink.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:38 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Nigel

One of my club members had a 2.4 Ghz module plugged into the back side of his transmitter. One day, just before flying, he noticed something laying on the ground.

Yup, the plastic case of the 2.4 Ghz module fell apart, and the 2.4 Ghz electronics was what was laying on the ground! (I was there and saw it happen)

He was lucky, several months later, someone stole the transmitter out of his truck, and he now has a very nice brand new Spektrum transmitter.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:30 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Got the radio in yesterday. First impressions are that it feels very "toyish".

It is light and does not feel durable at all, spring tension on the sticks is really weak, weaker than any other radio I have used. I am used to my JR 9303 and my Futaba 14SG though so I may be a bit biased.
'
Programming looks relatively straight forward so that is good. A lot of features built into a 6 channel radio so I like that too.

I am confident it will serve its purpose which is fly that FLy Zone Tidewater and may get some other use along the way as well.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:42 AM
park
Clear !

This happen to me yesterday with a Calypso motor glider;

Not bashing the system but...
Im new to motor gliders or gliders of any kind and love it ! I'm really enjoying the Calypso. This was about a 20 min flight, stock radio equipment. About 5 min after takeoff while gliding at about 500 ft AGL and about 200 ft to my west when I hear a single beep, It was not the trim but I have heard it before, it's not a warning its just a random beep. I looked at the radio (theres only one red light) and everything seamed OK? Then suddenly I hear the motor go to full throttle (and hearing that beep again) and goes vertical and starts to roll over but I got the nose down and started a full throttle climb if I wanted to or not, all the controls but the throttle worked, it's stuck at full throttle. I'm trying to get rid of the energy by some maneuvering but it would only buy me a few seconds, I tried turning off the tx (yep, held by breath) but no change. Now it's getting a little high (see picture) I jiggled the throttle and saw a response......I moved the stick to the full throttle position and we are back to gliding! Yep, the throttle is reversed!
Well I finally got the thing down and Im turning final about 75' when I hear a series of fast beeps but this time a recognize the beeps, it's the trim! I get it on the ground using some sort of cross controls between the ailerons and rudder. The rudder ran away to the full left position !
Then I looked at the power light on the tx and it's out. After removing the batteries that were replaced a few days ago the piece of metal that contacts the neg. side of one of the batts fell into my hand. I don't think I have heard of this happening before ?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:57 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by park View Post
This happen to me yesterday with a Calypso motor glider;

Not bashing the system but...
Im new to motor gliders or gliders of any kind and love it ! I'm really enjoying the Calypso. This was about a 20 min flight, stock radio equipment. About 5 min after takeoff while gliding at about 500 ft AGL and about 200 ft to my west when I hear a single beep, It was not the trim but I have heard it before, it's not a warning its just a random beep. I looked at the radio (theres only one red light) and everything seamed OK? Then suddenly I hear the motor go to full throttle (and hearing that beep again) and goes vertical and starts to roll over but I got the nose down and started a full throttle climb if I wanted to or not, all the controls but the throttle worked, it's stuck at full throttle. I'm trying to get rid of the energy by some maneuvering but it would only buy me a few seconds, I tried turning off the tx (yep, held by breath) but no change. Now it's getting a little high (see picture) I jiggled the throttle and saw a response......I moved the stick to the full throttle position and we are back to gliding! Yep, the throttle is reversed!
Well I finally got the thing down and Im turning final about 75' when I hear a series of fast beeps but this time a recognize the beeps, it's the trim! I get it on the ground using some sort of cross controls between the ailerons and rudder. The rudder ran away to the full left position !
Then I looked at the power light on the tx and it's out. After removing the batteries that were replaced a few days ago the piece of metal that contacts the neg. side of one of the batts fell into my hand. I don't think I have heard of this happening before ?
Wow! That was a Tactic radio? Which model? I don't like the 4 "AA" battery pwer system either, another part of that toyish feel.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:52 PM
park
Clear !

Yes a TTX404
Old 11-16-2015, 04:06 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by park View Post
Yes a TTX404
Ok I've got the 6 channel version. Hopefully won't have that happen. Looking to put a battery pack in it as well to eliminate the "AA" battery setup.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:57 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Default AA type battery holder

A lot of wattflyer readers have indicated those AA cell battery holders work just fine in the entry level RC transmitters. And, a lot of the higher quality transmitters that use those battery holders do work just fine.

As for me, having had more than a few flashlights that had to be shook to again turn them on, I won't buy any transmitter that uses this type of setup.

Quick Reply: Tactic radios - Who uses them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16476 seconds with 12 queries