General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Hawksky problems for complete newbie

Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 AM
grahame

Default Hawksky problems for complete newbie

Hi folks hi have purchased and already built the dynam hawksky v2 and have now run into problems.
My rudder when activated from the transmitter goes more to the left than the right and it never comes back to central its always a bit to the left when viewed from behind. My elevators are doing the same thing more down than up, and not coming back to flat and central. I am done messing about as i seem to have tried all the adjustments and am seeking advice before i do some accidental damage.
Any suggestions for a complete newbie would be gratefully accepted as I really don't want my first flight to be my last.
Just on a side note, do dynam go out of their way to make the instructions completely useless
Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Hi Graham andwelcome to WF. It'll help a little to know what transmitter you're using, but I can give you some basics that might help no matter what tx you're using.

Before getting into control adjustments, remove the planes propellor just in case you bump the throttle or do something else that accidentally makes the motor come to life. It happens to often, and can result in a hospital trip with lots of gore.

First, before you ever connect the pushrods to the servo arms, you should turn on the tx and make sure the rudder and elevator trims are centered. Then power up the plane. If the arms on the servos aren't 90 degrees to the pushrod, remove the servo arm and reinstall as close as possible.

I've never had one of those planes, but hopefully one end of your pushrods has a clevis that can be disconnected and is on a threaded rod you can turn in our out as necessary to get the control surface centered now that you have the tx trims and arms centered.

Those are the basics. If you have a computer tx, there are things you can do in it also. Hope this is some help, if you havent done these already.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:56 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Adding to what's already been said....
Also the clevises (the plastic bit on the end of the pushrod that clips over the horn that operates the control surfaces) can be adjusted by unclipping from the control surface horn and screwing onto, or off the pushrod wire a turn or two. Be careful if screwing off the wire to make sure there are still enough threads engaged, you don't want the clevis to fall off in flight.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:07 AM
grahame

Thanks folks that helped, can i ask how far should the control surfaces move.
Lets say I was talking about the rudder, how far left should it go and how far right and would it be the same for all the other surfaces.
Once again guys...thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

That's something I couldn't say for sure. The instructions don't mention it? I guess it's possible they don't list one, because if it's not a computer radio, the only control you have over the throws is which holes the pushrod is connected to on the servo arm and the control horn on the control surface. Further out on the servo arm=more throw. Further out on the control horn=less throw. It's all mechanical.

There should also be a center of gravity in the instructions too. Don't forget to check that. With the battery installed. (Sounds like common sense, but it's been done!) If not, I'd recommend a Google search and see what people have used For both the control throws and cg. Recommended ones are starting points anyway. As you get a feel for your plane, you may prefer more or less throw on the different surfaces, or even a different cg. A little forward cg is more stable, but not too much. The saying goes 'a forward cg plane flies poorly, an aft cg plane only flies once'.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by grahame View Post
Thanks folks that helped, can i ask how far should the control surfaces move.
Lets say I was talking about the rudder, how far left should it go and how far right and would it be the same for all the other surfaces.
Once again guys...thanks

Adequate for rudder will be about 25 deg each direction from centered.

The other control surfaces a bit less.

When you go to fly it be GENTLE with the controls. We do most of our flying moving the sticks less than 5 degrees from centered. That would have the tip of the stick move in a range about the thickness of a pencil from centered.