General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank You to WattFlyer!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Thank You to WattFlyer!

Being near to Thanksgiving, and since this is my post number 1000, I thought I needed to say thank you to all that have encouraged me, instructed me and showed me the way over the years. I joined WattFlyer in 2005 and have never flown before. I was flying HobbyZone Aerobirds with my son, both self-taught at the school yard. It was great fun chasing each other around that summer, but the next year my son didn’t want to hang out with me anymore (just turned 14…) so I bought a ParkZone Typhoon. I destroyed it three times on three very short flights, and promptly gave up on RC… It’s not exactly a good aileron trainer I see now…. Fast forward to 2009, I work in the automotive industry and it was a very bad time. A lot of friends lost their jobs and moved away. Those of us left were now covering the jobs of 2 or 3 people and still didn’t know if the company would even survive. Needless to say it was a stressful time. My wife suggested I do something for fun and said I should try RC planes again. (This is good because I can always blame her for all of the time and money I have now put into RC.) I bought a Mountain Models Dandy and built it over that winter. It turned out pretty well and I could fly it! I also bought the sport (aileron) wing and that was easy to fly as well. I was becoming hooked on RC…. A little later, I created my “StevePhoon” from parts from my old destroyed Typhoon and a hand built fuselage. It was redemption from my earlier failures and it’s still flying today!

I’ve always relied on the good information found here on WattFlyer. It has really helped me be successful. Probably the most important piece of information was AEAJRs “Everything You Wanted To Know About Electric Powered Flight” thread/book…. It’s a great resource and now that I see that many others (like Ken Meyers from Electric Flyers Only) refer to it as well, it only confirms my initial thought that Ed has created a real resource for all of us. Thanks Ed!

The next thank you is to all of the Admins and Moderators here on WattFlyer. Just having a free forum like this is great, but then all of the help and encouragement from them is just fantastic! I do miss some of the old timers though, like “Sky Sharkster” and “capn chaos.”

And finally a big thank you to everyone else. It was user “pd1” (Paul) who helped me through my 1st scratch build of a “Pocket Rocket.” His design and It’s still a blast to fly. See Pocket Rocket Thread: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30932
So I blame everyone here for my spending way too much time on-line and at the flying field.

Here’s a little video of the two little planes that I can never get rid of… My StevePhoon and my Pocket Rocket. They are still flying!

http://youtu.be/ZBVxsl2wMhI

Thank You All!
Steve
Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

RC 'in + Wattflyer Rock's
bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 266.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	178282   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 398.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	178283  
Old 11-20-2014, 03:15 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Great video and great flying. I know we are all pleased that we could be a help to you in your journey into flight.

Now pass it on to others.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Default Can't beat the help on WF

I joined WF in '06 & I feel the same Stevepoon. If it hadn't of been for the many helpful folks here & Jeff @ HURC I would have given up on electric powered planes. I had many years of wet power flying under my belt but I needed a challenge when I got back into RC flying again so I decided to try flying EP planes. So I'd like to also offer my Thanks to all those that have been such a Huge help to so many of us on WF

Standing By,
SJ
Old 11-20-2014, 05:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I got lost along the way ... had many years flying in UK at meetings and some of the best sites ever ... Left UK for Former Soviet Union ... and gave up model flying.

I saw a silly 2ch model in local supermarket ... thought I can get that to fly ! That was it ... back in the saddle !

Wattflyer has been THE best, THE most friendly, THE most patient forum of all ... it may not be the biggest, it may not have such high posting rate .... but what it does have : Is High standards, High morals and best camaraderie of all.

WF will ALWAYS be my #1 place ...

Along with Steve .... my Heartfelt thanks and best wishes for all the flying to come.

Nigel
Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Thank you to all at WattFlyer for me as well. I began my first flying experience largely without Wattflyer...which started rough thanks to a bad 6 channel radio from Hobbyking. With the help from everyone, I have developed quickly in rc flight, and understanding proper setup of motors, props, as well as building planes (although building has been on the backburner due to tinkering with helis).

Without everyone, I would still likely be clueless on how to go about the aspects of rc flight.

Sorry I don't have any vids of flight.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:02 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

This is why we do what we do here. It is so gratifying to know that Wattflyer and the members have helped you into the sky.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:20 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks to Wattflyers, I am Now a Reformed Nitro Slimmer Addict , I have been on Wattflyers since Oct of 2006, and Learned a Ton of Stuff , from some of the Best of the Best here, I really Struggled with E Power at First, in trying to find a proper power system for a RC Aircraft, motor size, kv, prop size, battery size, mah, Amps, C Rating, Watts, thrust, Esc amp size, Bec, Ubec, etc, threw me for a loop Big time, So I have a Lot to be grateful for, Also Heads up Rc motor Pages were a Big Big Help too, In trying to find a Proper E Power set up, So a Big Thanks to Jeff at HURC also Sooo, A Big Thanks to all that have help me learn through out the Years here on Wattflyers, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 11-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
I joined WF in '06 & I feel the same Stevepoon. If it hadn't of been for the many helpful folks here & Jeff @ HURC I would have given up on electric powered planes. I had many years of wet power flying under my belt but I needed a challenge when I got back into RC flying again so I decided to try flying EP planes. So I'd like to also offer my Thanks to all those that have been such a Huge help to so many of us on WF

Standing By,
SJ
Slowjohn! Long time no hear... I remember reading that you were having some medical issues. I hope you are doing better and are flying again! I still want to make a twin like your green and gold one. I'll get to it one of these days!

I also agree with others here, that that HeadsUpRc has helped me tremendously. (and Mountain Models too!) It was my MM Eva Sport with a motor from HedasUpRc that Jeff recommended that really hooked me into RC.

Steve
Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
Slowjohn! Long time no hear... I remember reading that you were having some medical issues. I hope you are doing better and are flying again! I still want to make a twin like your green and gold one. I'll get to it one of these days!

I also agree with others here, that that HeadsUpRc has helped me tremendously. (and Mountain Models too!) It was my MM Eva Sport with a motor from HedasUpRc that Jeff recommended that really hooked me into RC.

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's been a very rough year for us w/my health issues. The 1st 7 months of this year I was hospitalized 9 times. My right leg was amputated twice (Jan. & Feb.) due to Gangrene from Diabetic Ulcers under my toes that I didn't catch in time. March I swelled up like a water balloon including my little buddies that swelled to the size of a Cantaloupe. Before I got out my Gall Bladder acted up again so out it came. The next morning I looked like a Banana & they had to go back in to remove 3 stones that they missed in my common duct. April I was given a large shot of Steroids that sent me into a seizure that lasted 3 days. A few weeks later I had a Migraine & a CT Scan showed I had 2 brain tumors. Thankfully it was mis-diagnosed. Mothers Day I fell off the front porch in my Wheelchair & broke my right thigh bone right at the hip joint. Had it pinned but the same afternoon they had to go back in & replace the 3/8" bolts with shorter ones. That's only part of it but I'm still Thankful to be alive & still building. Some time in late June my computer got hacked so that did me in til I could replace it.
I've only been able to go flying one time this year but hopefully next year will be better.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 11-21-2014, 01:53 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Thanks for the accolades folks. All of you are a valued part of the site and help to make it what it is.

Sure it would be nice to be the biggest electric flight site on the net but I personally love the fact that we are considered one of the friendliest most helpful sites. That reputation is because of the core users.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Hi Steve,

It's been a very rough year for us w/my health issues. .... I've only been able to go flying one time this year but hopefully next year will be better.

Standing By,
SJ
OUCH... I'm really sorry to hear that this year has been this bad. If there is anything I can do to help from up here in the great white north, (we did just get about 6 in of snow today ) just let me know!

Steve
Old 11-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thanks Steve
Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Thank you Wattflyer. For giggles, go look up my earliest posts. You guys took me from a completely clueless noob to a decent pilot. I owe you guys for that. I would have given up without this site (which would have saved me thousands of dollars, but that's a different story. )
Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Thank you Wattflyer. For giggles, go look up my earliest posts. You guys took me from a completely clueless noob to a decent pilot. I owe you guys for that. I would have given up without this site (which would have saved me thousands of dollars, but that's a different story. )
+1
I came across Wattflyer by mistake in fact. I was learning about my new simulator I had bought, Realflite, and it had a link to a forum where you can download models, I was looking for the Super Cub, While reading I mistakenly clicked on a link that took me to Wattflyer being new to forums as well I joined and began reading and was amazed with the wealth of knowledge and kindness I received from posting a noob and probably multiple repeated questions. In fact I think NJS helped me with my SC constantly turning left problem and he was new at the time as well.