General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Question On Dimensions of Airfield 182 Skytainer

Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 AM
flymenow

Default Question On Dimensions of Airfield 182 Skytainer

Folks, am new to the hobby and have ordered a Airfield Cessna 182 skytrainer. While waiting for it want to build a wall hanger to store my RC planes. Will be using less than $20 worth of PVC pipe,fittings,etc. Anyhow, need to know the width of the fusalage directly under the wings so can run pvc pipe hangers between the wing struts and the body--anybody have one they could measure?? Also, do you think that is a good place to put the pvc instead of outside the struts? Concerned the wings could bend and take a set if the hangers(pvc rods) are outside of each strut. Help----
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by flymenow View Post
Folks, am new to the hobby and have ordered a Airfield Cessna 182 skytrainer. While waiting for it want to build a wall hanger to store my RC planes. Will be using less than $20 worth of PVC pipe,fittings,etc. Anyhow, need to know the width of the fusalage directly under the wings so can run pvc pipe hangers between the wing struts and the body--anybody have one they could measure?? Also, do you think that is a good place to put the pvc instead of outside the struts? Concerned the wings could bend and take a set if the hangers(pvc rods) are outside of each strut. Help----
At the wing LE, exactly 5.75" is the fuse width. Wings are very strong, you won't bend them that easily. Also that is a heck of a plane to start out with.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 AM
flymenow

Thanks so very much. If wings are that strong--what is the width from outside of one strut to outside of other strut (where they attach to wings)? then I can put the pvc outside of each one--and the width should work for other planes. Am 68 so figured might as well start with a good plane; Hope I don-t ruin it.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:47 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Thanks so very much. If wings are that strong--what is the width from outside of one strut to outside of other strut (where they attach to wings)? then I can put the pvc outside of each one--and the width should work for other planes. Am 68 so figured might as well start with a good plane; Hope I don-t ruin it.
No problem, glad to help.

Center line to CL of struts is exactly 24", IMO I would space out your PVC at 27" CL to CL for outside the struts, or you could put inside the struts at 20" depending what size of PVC you use, around 1" would be fine at 20" CL/CL, if you use 2" PVC, I would use 19" CL/CL just for a little more clearance.

It is a good plane, and it tough as nails, the nose gear is a little weak and it gives out with even the best of landings. Make sure you put Loctite on the little set screw, but even then it will strip out sooner or later. Do you have a friend that already flys rc or a local club that can help you get started?

have a good one
cr
Old 07-14-2011, 05:06 PM
flymenow

Default Many thanks for all the info

CR can't thank you enough. Plan on puting pipe wrap over the pvc so each will measure 1 3/4 inches od. What do you think the cl for each should be if I placel them outside the struts.

thanks for info on front landing wheel. Will definitely follow your instructions. there is a flying club near my home so will contact them for help in getting started.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

CR can't thank you enough. Plan on puting pipe wrap over the pvc so each will measure 1 3/4 inches od. What do you think the cl for each should be if I placel them outside the struts.

thanks for info on front landing wheel. Will definitely follow your instructions. there is a flying club near my home so will contact them for help in getting started.
I would put it at 28" on centers, just because I like even numbers!
Great to hear that you have a local club, lots more enjoyment when you can fly with others.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Hey CR... i just got one of these myself and was wondering what 2-blade prop you would recommend to replace the 3-blade 11x9???

I'm not looking for speed or anything like that but i definantly don't want less power that what the 11x9 provides.

Thx,

-John
Old 07-20-2011, 05:14 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Default Re: Question On Dimensions of Airfield 182 Skytainer

Hey CR... i just got one of these myself and was wondering what 2-blade prop you would recommend to replace the 3-blade 11x9???

I'm not looking for speed or anything like that but i definantly don't want less power that what the 11x9 provides.

Thx,

-John
Then I would just keep the 11x9x3, u would need @ least a 12x10x2 or bigger to have the same power and u might have ground clearance probs with prop, and u will have more speed takes a little longer to take off.

Why r u wanting to change?
It looks so good and very good performance in my experience.

Have a good one
Cr

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Then I would just keep the 11x9x3, u would need @ least a 12x10x2 or bigger to have the same power and u might have ground clearance probs with prop, and u will have more speed takes a little longer to take off.

Why r u wanting to change?
It looks so good and very good performance in my experience.

Have a good one
Cr

Thanks for the quick reply

I don't want to change... this plane is waiting for me in Oregon when i get there this weekend on vacation. I had it shiped directly there but forgot to order any extra parts. The x3 prop is much harder to come by and too late for me to order and make it there in time... so if i happen to break a prop on a hard landing, i will have a nice plane that i can't fly. So i'm trying to take a back up with me...

Last edited by jap71173; 07-20-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply

I don't want to change... this plane is waiting for me in Oregon when i get there this weekend on vacation. I had it shiped directly there but forgot to order any extra parts. The x3 prop is much harder to come by and too late for me to order and make it there in time... so if i happen to break a prop on a hard landing, i will have a nice plane that i can't fly. So i'm trying to take a back up with me... thats all.
Ah Cool, Actually the prop that comes with it is pretty flexible, and as long as you have power off in the event of a crash you should be fine. Saying that if you auger it in a power dive thats not going to help you much.
I had 14 good learning flights with that prop, then a reversed ailerons situation( my fault) broke it. I then put a 10x7 on it and it barely got off the ground. I fly off of hard packed dirt and grass and it took at least 150ft to get airborne.
At a minimum, two blade prop would be a 11x9x2 (maybe a 11x8x2) and make sure you have at least 100ft runway.

have a good one
cr

BTW I had more problems with the prop nose cone breaking, than I did the prop. I finally bought one of these.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Adapter/Detail
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Ah Cool, Actually the prop that comes with it is pretty flexible, and as long as you have power off in the event of a crash you should be fine. Saying that if you auger it in a power dive thats not going to help you much.
I had 14 good learning flights with that prop, then a reversed ailerons situation( my fault) broke it. I then put a 10x7 on it and it barely got off the ground. I fly off of hard packed dirt and grass and it took at least 150ft to get airborne.
At a minimum, two blade prop would be a 11x9x2 (maybe a 11x8x2) and make sure you have at least 100ft runway.

have a good one
cr

BTW I had more problems with the prop nose cone breaking, than I did the prop. I finally bought one of these.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Adapter/Detail
Thank Cr...I can have an APC 11x8.5e shipped fast from Heads up, and while i have your experience at hand... i ordred the RTF version from Nitroplanes because i didn't want to put my Dx6i in my suitcase, so it comes with the 2.4Ghz Airfield rx/tx setup... have you tried their stuff before... any issues i should know about before i take the risk?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Default Re: Question On Dimensions of Airfield 182 Skytainer

No experience with their radios, i think rightfly does have one. I use dsx7. But for a 'vacation tx' I bet u have little trouble.
Have a good one
Cr