Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Ancient threads

Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The necrobumped threads here lately have either been doing just that (answering a now irrelevant several year old question), or blatant trolling. Examples of both in the threads i linked to previously.

Anyway, as I've said a few times, the best solution might be a warning about the age of the thread being replied to (if it's possible to do). While it wont stop the trolls it should at least prevents accidental necrobumping (I like that term!) and it leaves the thread open for genuine replies on the rare occasion they might occur.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:36 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I don't want this thread closed. There are thousands of old DX7 Tx's out there and no doubt many of them will find there way to new owners. There is no possible reason to prevent someone from asking a pertinent question on this thread.
I don't either but I want them to open a NEW thread asking the question.

Again we are picking nit's here. At the end of the day if an old thread gets bumped so be it.

But to me it is generally 99.9% better to start a new thread and discuss.

Mike
Old 06-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

All threads are clearly marked with Last Post date.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I don't either but I want them to open a NEW thread asking the question.
Why should they open a new thread? If they want to ask me something about what is in my thread why should they open a new one. I might not even see it.

I have seen people who constantly open new threads about the same problem or question. That to me is a bigger problem. Better to keep it all together.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

All threads are clearly marked with Last Post date.
Yet people regularly make the mistake, I've done it myself.

As noted above, it's not really a big deal and if the software doesn't have the facility for a warning then no point discussing it.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Why should they open a new thread? If they want to ask me something about what is in my thread why should they open a new one. I might not even see it.

I have seen people who constantly open new threads about the same problem or question. That to me is a bigger problem. Better to keep it all together.
Because old threads have old thoughts and answers. New ones have the advantage of years more experience and direction...

Less confusion - simple.

My DX6 example is a perfect one, now that there is a new DX6 on the market.

Mike
Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

What about build threads? I doubt anyone thinks they should be closed due to lack of activity? Some builds go on for years and the threads updated infrequently. Locking them would be a great mistake.

What about stickied threads? There are three stickies in the beginners section that haven't had a post in over a year. Should they be locked? I don't think so.

Pattern Aircraft? There are only 5 threads with posts this year. Lock the rest? No

There are so many other examples I could spend days presenting them. I believe that a few people see a problem where there really isn't one. Locking threads by some arbitrary criteria like time since last post would be a disaster for this forum and would create a problem far greater than the one that only a few are worried about.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Brner
AMA16634

What about build threads? I doubt anyone thinks they should be closed due to lack of activity? Some builds go on for years and the threads updated infrequently. Locking them would be a great mistake.

What about stickied threads? There are three stickies in the beginners section that haven't had a post in over a year. Should they be locked? I don't think so.

Pattern Aircraft? There are only 5 threads with posts this year. Lock the rest? No

There are so many other examples I could spend days presenting them. I believe that a few people see a problem where there really isn't one. Locking threads by some arbitrary criteria like time since last post would be a disaster for this forum and would create a problem far greater than the one that only a few are worried about.
Agree, 100%....