Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)
Default Connectors ..... fed up with size of them.

Models are developing fast and we have micro and large with all inbetween.

But we still have Deans ... Poles .... Bullets ... XT60 ..... XT90 ..... etc.

I don't know about all you lot - but I am getting fed up with the connection lark and trying to squeeze it all in that battery bay along with the battery.

Batterys - some of mine have crazy long leads ... others have crazy short ... ESC's with same ... long and short ...

My ME109 is a real pain because it has no real room for the lipo and all that lead / connectors.

I bought two LiPo's that are designed long and slim to try and get round this and they came with XT30 connectors .... now this is closer to my wish for a smaller connector ...

Looking at the specs ... it seems that near all my models up to and including 3S can work with a connection rated at 30A cont. If that is true they are good for that - I may just start converting to these smaller plugs.

Anyone using XT30 and found any matters of note ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (1)

Not yet Nigel but I have been considering the XT30s for a while now. I don't have any high current draw stuff and they should do the job amicably. In fact I just may order a few packs in my next order.
At the moment I either have the XT60 or JST for 2S. The JST plugs are not totally reliable I have found.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 AM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (12)

I've been using XT30 and XT60 connectors for quite a while now. XT60's on all the higher draw applications but any pack 1300 and smaller gets XT30's now. I threw away most of the Deans T plugs and Deans micro plugs I removed. Hated everything about them. I love the Anderson (Sermos) Power Poles but they do tend to take up quite a bit of room even if you cut down the housings so they are out now as well. I couldn't be happier with the XT's. Very easy to solder and the connection/disconnection force is liveable unlike those blasted Deans plugs.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 08-20-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

I have many XT-30's, I had trouble with deans connectors so I gave up on them.

I think they are great, I believe they would handle above 30 amps, but 30 is enough for almost any smaller plane.
If you need more than 30 amps the plane is probably big enough anyway.

I glued a XT-30 onto the side of a XT-60 on my charge leads. that way I don't need to look for an adapter or a different charger.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Well ... I ordered a load of XT30's ... and just swapped my ME109 to them ... MAGIC !! I can now get all in and close the lid without scrunching all inside !!

I soldered an XT30 to an XT60 as adaptor for the charger ... later will make a proper lead that will junction into the nest of connectors I have on end of my charger leads ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 08-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

You'll love those XT's Nigel.

Has anyone seen these ESC side surface mount XT60E-M? LINK Can only get them from China (for a reasonable price) right now. I have a lot of uses for them in R/C and for other projects. I just hate to wait for that rowboat with the one armed man to get here from China. My last order from BangYouGood to the USA took months!

Joe

Old 08-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

mmmmm nice idea ....

I have in the past glued an XT60 and also Deans into a model similar to provide fixed mount.

I have a block in my vice that has different connectors male and female glued in as my Soldering friend. I can now place plug on the fixed one ... solder it without concern for pins getting hot and misaligned ... holds perfect while soldering etc.

Nigel

Old 08-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
You'll love those XT's Nigel.

Has anyone seen these ESC side surface mount XT60E-M? LINK Can only get them from China (for a reasonable price) right now. I have a lot of uses for them in R/C and for other projects. I just hate to wait for that rowboat with the one armed man to get here from China. My last order from BangYouGood to the USA took months!

Joe
They could be very useful connectors. Hobby King have similar. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/black-xt...g-bracket.html
There is also a post mounted type.
I have been using Air Express from Banggood. Only costs a bit over a dollar and most stuff arrives in about 10 days.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I have been using Air Express from Banggood. Only costs a bit over a dollar and most stuff arrives in about 10 days.
Thanks for reminding me. It's been a while since buying there and I forgot I could choose other shipping during checkout. It offered and I chose Priority air mail. Each item is a separate shipping charge. $1.34 each for two different items and $.31 for the third. Total shipping $2.99. That's decent. My order page says everything has shipped. Tracking numbers don't show in the system yet but I didn't expect them to yet.

Joe

Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I know its not so much on connectors ... but an online shop that rarely gets a mention is RC Timer .... the motors and various gear is very good and keenly priced ... many are free shipping. I still reckon many of the motors are same as Hobby Kings Turnigy offerings - just different labels and can colour.

Nigel

Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Never dealt with them Nigel. I will check out their site.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems