Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

BalsaUSA 1/6 scale Nieuport 17 kit

Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 PM
hbgandy

Default BalsaUSA 1/6 scale Nieuport 17 kit

Anyone build one of these kits? Mine will be electric power. Any tips, comments, suggestions on ease of build, flyability, etc. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i have one tip to start with Hbgandy,

absolutely do a build thread here at wattflyer, I love building and seriously want to do a balsa Usa kit. it's just that i am spending to much lately on fpving stuff and am going for a simpler tower hobbies uproar kit to be busy slowly converting it to electric. it'll be my 5th uproar.

the interesting thing with the newport will be how you choose to install the battery . you want to keep it simple and easy to change, but from what it appears you may have to remove a wing to install it and maintain cg forward. this is how i converted the sig smith mini and it might work the same for the newport.

i built a battery box out of ply and it allows the battery to go all the way forward to the firewall. i got cg spot on without adding any lead weight in the nose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2041.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	181924   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2043.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	484.1 KB
ID:	181925   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2054.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	181926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2066.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	181927  
Old 10-06-2015, 11:57 PM
hbgandy

Thanks for your comments and pictures very helpful. After I get the kit I may mount battery from underneath between the undercarriage. Sorry, no build thread from me as I am a total klutz with matters concerning computers and software.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 PM
michaely

I agree with you that a bottom fuselage hatch between the undercarriage struts is the way to go with this model.

I don't have the Balsa USA Nieuport 17 but I did buy a beautifully built 64" span Nieuport 17 that came out of obscure British kit and can give you a sense of the built up model.

The fuselage cavity between the firewall and the rear landing gear struts is HUGE and should be easy to work in. In my somewhat bigger model, the bottom opening to that cavity easily accommodate two hand work. And the bottom of the fuselage between the landing gear struts is a nice flat plate and covers the whole of that fuselage cavity without having to disturb the landing gear.

I plan to install some of the rc gear high up in this fuselage cavity;then install a removeable horizontal ply platform onto which I would attach either the motor battery or..... if you want to extend the motor battery and esc into the cowl area for balance/cooling purposes, a tray which could move fore and aft for motor battery/esc.

The cockpit opening big enough to do some linkage adjustmentto tail servos which are installed in that area but not big enough to do much more.

Over at rcgroups there is a bit of thread on the Maxford USA 105" Tiger Moth and what one builder decided was easiest to get at the motor battery was no unsightly or difficult to build hatch in the lower cowl; but to make the whole cowl removeable with quick disconnects so he could easily adjust the fore/aft position of the motor battery. This also involves removing the prop each time.

good luck

Michael
Old 10-15-2015, 11:56 PM
hbgandy

Thanks Michael: All very helpful. After the kit is delivered I'll take a look at the spaces available. Maybe enough for even a Mr RC Sound system with vintage WWI engines? Might be getting a tad heavy however. Best bet, but probably with lesser flight times, would be to mount two smaller batteries on either side of the motor, all under the removable cowl. BalsaUSA tech support so great I'll have to ask them what motor and batteries would they recommend for that setup. Bill