Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

E-Flite Apprentice and a new guy!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 AM
hoghead5150

Default E-Flite Apprentice and a new guy!

well after flying my brothers hobbyzone super cub around a few times i thought it was time to take the plunge and get myself a plane. after a few weeks of research, crazy internet searches, and lots of sweaty headaches and indecision i finally decided on the Apprentice.

i'm glad i did!! the maiden flight was last weekend, and it went off great. two successful takeoffs, a couple minutes of flying around, and two great landings! i will say i was scared sh&^less but the plane handles wonderfully.

today we took the super cub and the apprentice out for another day of flying. got around 6 flights in today on the bird and everything went so smooth. did my first loops today!!! a little nerve racking being so new to this hobby, but this plane will flat out turn when you want to. gotta remember to be easy on the sticks!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Hey hoghead.....let's see some still's and video's of your Apprentice.....!

Seems you purchased, put together/dialed in and have now flown in very quick fashion.....all this excitement has some of us curious about this "maiden" adventure!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Welcome to the addiction! And after 4 (Is it 5 now?) years, moving on to warbirds and edf's, my Apprentice still gets air time. Got some floats for her now, too. Just need to make time to install them!

Those are both great planes. Good choices.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:27 AM
hoghead5150

I can get some pics, but i don't have a video camera worth a dang! As for the flights my brother is stool amazed. I put a little packing tape on the leading edges of the wing and tail and after 8 total flights there isn't a mark on the plane. Looks brand new still.

It won't be long tho as i know a crash will happen. When it does, I'll rebuild and fly again! All part of the sport. My brother got his drop module in today so we may have to go test it tomorrow!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 AM
hoghead5150

went to the field today, but i didn't fly. was a little to windy for me, but my brother gave it a shot! he got the drop module for his super cub and really wanted to try it out. it was ok, but the magnet needs to be stronger. the wind was a little gusty, and after a few flights he ended up landing about 40 feet up in a tree!!!

an hour later we had the plane down with only slight damage. a little gouge in the wing, a broken gearbox. he has all the parts to fix it, so maybe tomorrow we can try it again (if the wind dies down!!)
Old 08-16-2012, 05:03 AM
hoghead5150

well today we had some good weather so off we went! got in 3 good flights. i'm getting more and more confident flying this plane. did a few loops, but still no rolls, i'm still a little nervous about trying them. on my second landing i ALMOST hit a soccer practice goal. my depth perception is not as good as it should be i guess as i thought i was over it by 20 feet or so but actually i was on the OTHER side of it 20 feet!!! a little up elevator a little gas, and a few OH SH*&S and i was up and over the goal and down for a safe landing.

here's a few stills of the plane, just your typical apprentice!

super cub and my daughter in the background!

how did that get in there
Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
RWK

I have lousy depth perception. I once flew into a tree when I was sure I was at least 50 or 60 feet from it. I flew my Radian into a fence around a park when I was absolutely positive that I was INSIDE the park and ready to land. I came to realize that I cannot trust my depth perception. In my case, it always appears to me that the plane is closer than it really is. Knowing this, I always give obstacles a wide birth and haven't flown into anything in quite a while now . . . knock on wood.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 AM
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Congrats on the new plane! I learned on an Apprentice and can't say enough good things about it.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:04 AM
hoghead5150

well i think i'm going to try and upgrade my transmitter. i haven't had any problems out of the dx5e, but i would like a radio with a few more features. i got to check out the dx6i the other day, and the feel of the radio was night and day difference from my 5e.

not sure i'm going to go with spektrum or not, with all the good choices out there it'll take some more research.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

+1 for learning on the Apprentice....

as for the transmitter....if I could/had to do it again (dx5e then upgraded to jr dsx7) I would of purchased at least an 8 or 9 channel, even if it was out of my budget...just save up a little more and wait a little longer or try to find something used, for me at first it was a little intimidating, but comp. tx. are really pretty easy after reading the manual ten times!!

Just like everything nowadays..... you get what you pay for

figuring out now that you can "almost" never have too many channels....just my 2 cents....
BTW still use dx5 almost everytime I fly....

have a good one
cr
Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 AM
hoghead5150

right now i'm looking at the hitec eclipse 7 pro, the futaba 7c, or the spektrum dx7s.

have read alot about the flysky (turnigy) 9x and it seems good after firmware updates and module changes. i don't want to get into that really. the hitec aurora 9 looks pretty good also, but a little out of my price range.

at the moment it's not so much of a $$ issue, it's just that i'm trying to keep the costs down for a while to keep the wife happy! i have one plane, and i don't see me getting another plane till next summer.

i can swing $250-$275 for now. after being into rc rockcrawlers, i understand getting more radio than you anticipate you'll need. we do alot of mixing, both for steering, dual esc's, and such so i'm pretty good at learning programming. i realize it's different in the aircraft world, but it's a little easier when you've delt with things similar.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Hey man! You rolled her yet? For your first rolls just make sure you are in a 20 climb or so and let her roll to see what she does. It's possible it will need some down elevator when inverted to stay on line, and that slight climb angle will let you experience that without any danger of losing altitude.

I'll bet she won't roll fast enough to scare you! That's one big plane and it will work hard to keep the stress out of learning.

What are your impressions of the nose wheel? Strong enough? Big enough wheels?

Have fun with that great airplane!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

LOL! The Apprentice rolls slow enough to scare me! If I want her to roll quickly, I input rudder with the ailerons.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM
hoghead5150

landing gear thoughts:

first i have only taken off and landed on grass so far. the nose gear seems pretty tough, altho i haven't had any real rough landings yet! the only problem i have with the nose gear is the fact that the steerable nose wheel never actually tracks straight. i've adjusted it several times, and it pulls slightly to the left. half a turn on the clevis at the servo and it pulls slightly to the right! the good thing is that it is predictable tho, so i have it set for a slight pull to the left and i KNOW it will do it every time.

the mains look funny. the wire is so thin, but so far, has been suprisingly strong. have not bent anything (yet) and the thin wire seems to give it a little spring.

the tires are very small and look way out of place on such a large plane. this plane is a weedeater due to the smaller tires and the large prop. if the grass is over 2 inches tall, your doing some pruning on takeoff!

my plan it to add larger diameter tires. the mains will be easy as they will just bolt on. i bet you could fit 5 inch tires on the mains no problem. i'll probably step up to 3 inch ones tho.

the front poses a small problem. the nose gear wire is shaped kinda like an upside down ? mark. this means that a larger diameter will hit the wire. my plan is to use a du-bro micro tire in the 3 inch diameter. http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...7.0.0.0?pp=12&
i'm going to make a small spacer to place on the landing gear wire to space the tire out just a little. this tire/wheel is alot narrower than the stock units so with the spacer the tire should clear the ? mark on the landing gear easily. my biggest concern is the fact that the tire/wheel being so skinny that it might dig in or cause bad ground handling.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM
road king 97
old hat

Iam teaching my 9 year old son to fly on the apprentice and when he wants to sleep in i still take it out for a fun plane to fly.I fly off of blacktop but i have tried flying off of grass and it needed bigger wheels for it. They also sell floats and all the attachments for the apprentice here http://www.seaplanesupply.com/electric.htm . Good luck with yours .joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Apprentice%20floats.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	161961  
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
paxskipper
New Electric Flyer

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
LOL! The Apprentice rolls slow enough to scare me! If I want her to roll quickly, I input rudder with the ailerons.
You can move the push rod for the airelons to give you more throw.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
garycrump

I too am learning off the Apprentice! Ace Hdw epoxy and toothpicks, are holding it together. DuBro makes larger wheels for under $5.00 and the adjustment to the ailerons mentioned above will improve the turns, but make it much harder to control in my opinion. Less is more at first! Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM
road king 97
old hat

I have plenty of other planes that will do 6 rolls in a heartbeat ,i want the apprentice to move slow most of the time for my son. I have duel rates set up for him plus expo on everything but i can still roll and have some relaxing fun with it when i fly it. Its a nice fun plane to fly with no bad habbits. joe
Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by paxskipper View Post
You can move the push rod for the airelons to give you more throw.
lol.....thats what I did too, stock stuff has alot of slop but sufficent for most.....ended up with broken wing at end of CF tube....guess I went a little too far!! Check rubber bands often or get high grade stuff from office supply store.... wing will lift off from fuse in full tilt banging sticks mode! lol...but its not really made for that other than fragile motor mount....great fun!

cr
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
landing gear thoughts:

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...87.0.0.0?pp=12&

these are similar to the one that I used....worked great for me....I live on a farm...I could take off from fairly rough ground no problems

you could go bigger, but IMHO not needed but the ol App won't have a problem lifting whatever wheels you use

cr

Last edited by CrimzonRider; 08-21-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: oops forgot link duh
Old 08-21-2012, 02:39 AM
hoghead5150

those wheels were what i was looking at for the mains, then this one for the nose wheel.
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...7.0.0.0?pp=12&
a little taller, and skinny enough that it will clear the wire.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 AM
hoghead5150

well got another good 4 flights in today. really need to get me another battery!! today i passed the transmitter over to my brother and let him get a taste of the apprentice. he did a really good job, altho he was scared at first. he has ordered him an apprentice and it shows to be delivering tomorrow!!

did my first aileron roll today. wasn't pretty, and my bro panic'd a little. was a very sloppy mess, but i had enough elevation and was climbing a little so no worries. i think my biggest mistake in the roll was i was climbing, meaning i was giving up elevator WHILE i aileron rolled the plane. looked pretty, then when the plane was inverted, it looked like crap!! being new, my mind went blank, as i think a little down elevator when the plane was more inverted would have smoothed things out.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

hh5150, IMHO Probably work just fine, someone else with a little more know-how might give ya tips or pros/cons on thinner steer tires

Good Flying to ya

kinda on a side note, after a while I ended up just takin wheels off and throwin it into the wind and belly landing in grass (looks pretty good in the air with no wheels..lol)

cr
Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Rolver

Hi, I'm curious to know about your progress and the wheels etc.
I just bought one second hand

Regards, Rolver
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Timewarp

Location: Stationed with my family in Kaiserslautern, Germany
Thumbs up

The Apprentice is a great trainer and my plane of choice when I first started flying. Unlike those that choose something like the 3 channel supercub, you won't outgrow the Apprentice as quickly since it has the ailaerons.

After a few flights I did some none destructive mods like changing the wheels to little larger ones and I added a bomb system, below are a few shots and the video I did when testing out the system.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	377415_297886433573123_629763652_n.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	162206   Click image for larger version

Name:	297423_297886280239805_249469839_n.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	162207   Click image for larger version

Name:	300977_297885696906530_1414030856_n.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	162208   Click image for larger version

Name:	307735_297885783573188_114031261_n.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	162209   Click image for larger version

Name:	301899_297886016906498_337460567_n.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	162210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	381695_297885910239842_1259399794_n.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	162211   Click image for larger version

Name:	296013_297885240239909_1194664246_n.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	162212  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15064 seconds with 20 queries