Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

ESC just ... died for no reason. Anything to try?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Default ESC just ... died for no reason. Anything to try?

I have a 30A HobbyKing BlueSeries ESC which I was running on one plane.

That plane didn't work out, so I pulled the electronics and etc. from it for a new build, like you do. Except that the ESC seems to be stone dead.

It's odd because the old plane flew. Nothing died on the last flight. I didn't crash it. It's been hanging on my wall for a few months. No signs of damage. Battery connections are good, but it doesn't wiggle the motor, power the servos or even light up the Rx.

It just seems odd, given the history. I thought I'd ask if there was anything un-obvious I should look at before I consign it to the junk bin.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I have a 30A HobbyKing BlueSeries ESC which I was running on one plane.

That plane didn't work out, so I pulled the electronics and etc. from it for a new build, like you do. Except that the ESC seems to be stone dead.

It's odd because the old plane flew. Nothing died on the last flight. I didn't crash it. It's been hanging on my wall for a few months. No signs of damage. Battery connections are good, but it doesn't wiggle the motor, power the servos or even light up the Rx.

It just seems odd, given the history. I thought I'd ask if there was anything un-obvious I should look at before I consign it to the junk bin.
Hi IMHO the ESC you linked to is Totally Junk, I have read about a lot of people having issues with them, dont use them, the BEC is burnt up in it, that can happen from just plugging it in to the battery with no load on it , use the Turnigy esc plush or Sentry ESC, they are Bullet proof IMHO Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I've used a few of the Blue series ESC's. they are re-labelled 'Mystery' brand which in turn are made by ZTW.
ZTW are actually really good ESC's second to none in my opinion. The only problem with the 30A version is it has a linear BEC, all above 30A have a good switching BEC.
It's very unusual for absolutely nothing to happen when you power up the ESC. The actual ESC and BEC circuits are separate, so normally at least one would work. Double check the power input side of the connections.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

They never have a good selection of Plush's in the US warehouse, though.

Into the bin it goes.

edit// I'll triple check them, JetPlaneFlier. I may even de-solder and resolder. We'll see.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Martin Potgieter

I have an Apprentice with the standard Eflite ESC in it and occationally it will not throttle up and I then glide and land and if I put full throttle it does nothing. I then throttle minimum for a while and then everything is back to normal. Is it my ESC or the receiver? I have a Turnigy 9X transmitter and the Turnigy receiver.
Any idea's are welcome. I have only been flying since January this year.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Martin Potgieter View Post
I have an Apprentice with the standard Eflite ESC in it and occationally it will not throttle up and I then glide and land and if I put full throttle it does nothing. I then throttle minimum for a while and then everything is back to normal. Is it my ESC or the receiver? I have a Turnigy 9X transmitter and the Turnigy receiver.
Any idea's are welcome. I have only been flying since January this year.
I Think that you may be going into LVC, Low Voltage Cutoff, when that happens, if you turn off the throttle completely and go to half Throttle, the motor will come back on, because the the voltage is higher with less of a load on the motor, you might be flying to long and grinding down the battery or your battery might be weak. Hope that helps, Chellie
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

I read this thread quickly and did not see any mention of the transmitter. If you are using a Futaba ratio you have to reverse the throttle channel. Most esc's today have a built in safe that will not let them arm is the throttle is not at it's lowest. They usually beep or something though. Just a thought.
Walt
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Thanks, Walt. I tried it all but that sucker was just dead.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Yeah, I've had that happen with a couple of Silver Series 60 esc's. Worked fine when I shut them down; dead when I powered them up.
Walt