Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Anderson Power Pole Crimping tool

Old 08-10-2013, 05:18 AM
NoResults

Default Anderson Power Pole Crimping tool

This is probably a question for Kyleservicetech but anyone is welcome to answer. Is there much of a difference in crimping tools for these connectors. I see a tri-crimp tool advertised for $39.99. Is this a good tool?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
This is probably a question for Kyleservicetech but anyone is welcome to answer. Is there much of a difference in crimping tools for these connectors. I see a tri-crimp tool advertised for $39.99. Is this a good tool?

Thanks
Can't give an answer to that, there are literally thousands of different crimpers on the market. The die size on these crimpers are critical for producing quality crimp jobs. To loose, and your wires can fall out. To tight, and you can squash the wire so severely as to nearly cut it off.

I've been using the Maxx Products crimper part number ACC185 per below:
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-4.html#Crimper
Several other club members have also purchased this same crimper from the same Maxx Products. All have been happy with them.

This unit has been doing a good job. Just a note, a production quality crimper for these terminals will run you well over $500. But those crimpers are designed to be used on a production line for daily use, and are expected to last for years. (Yeah, before retiring, I've purchased some of those $$$$ crimpers for various terminal sizes.)
Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

I've been using the $14.95 Radio Shack crimper with complete success.
Walt
Old 08-10-2013, 11:11 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Walt Thyng View Post
I've been using the $14.95 Radio Shack crimper with complete success.
Walt
Does Radio Shack have a crimper capable of crimping those Anderson Power Pole connectors? If so, can you provide a part number?

I've got several of those RS crimpers for servo connectors. One crimps so loosly the wires fall out. The other crimper crimps so tight it damages the conductors.

The one I use cost about $50 that works very well.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Sorry, I don't have the package and there are no numbers on the crimping tool. I've been using it on 35 and 45 amp Anderson (Power Pole) connectors and it works great.
Walt
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Walt Thyng View Post
Sorry, I don't have the package and there are no numbers on the crimping tool. I've been using it on 35 and 45 amp Anderson (Power Pole) connectors and it works great.
Walt
OK
The crimper I have from Radio Shack is used on servo connector size wires.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Walt I suspect yours looks like this one right?

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...FaXm7AodukkAWQ

I use these a bit more money but a bit better crimp IMHO.

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product...FSdo7AodsCcA0Q

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crimp.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	170227   Click image for larger version

Name:	andcrimp.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	170228  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Mine look very much like yours, except they are not geared. Nothing at all like the first pair.
Walt
Old 08-13-2013, 05:21 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Walt I suspect yours looks like this one right?

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...FaXm7AodukkAWQ

I use these a bit more money but a bit better crimp IMHO.

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product...FSdo7AodsCcA0Q

Mike
Yeah
The first "Pliars" type of crimper should only be used on terminals that are "Closed", not the "V" type of wire restraint used on the APP 45 Amp pins.

The second type of crimper "Wraps" the pin around the wire, and drives the "V" part of the pin into the wire, resulting in a gas tight connection.

Not recommended, but with my way to many years of experience with this stuff, I removed the ratchet device on my crimper so as to prevent over crimping with some wire sizes.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Denny great idea on the ratchet - mine typically goes to tight. This is really due to me trying to cram too much wire in the 30 amp poles. Again I should just use the 45's for most everything.

Also interesting is my $50 crimps do two indents on the 30amp poles sounds like yours does one "V".

But I do like the 45amp deep V it puts in. I can completely close the ratchet on those without worry. Right now I just click till it "feels right" then I release the ratchet. Shhh don't tell...

I do give em a strong pull just to verify.

Mike
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Denny great idea on the ratchet - mine typically goes to tight. This is really due to me trying to cram too much wire in the 30 amp poles. Again I should just use the 45's for most everything.

Also interesting is my $50 crimps do two indents on the 30amp poles sounds like yours does one "V".

But I do like the 45amp deep V it puts in. I can completely close the ratchet on those without worry. Right now I just click till it "feels right" then I release the ratchet. Shhh don't tell...

I do give em a strong pull just to verify.

Mike
Hi Mike
Yeah, the crimp is "Heart Shaped" after it's done with this and most similar crimpers.

Years ago before retiring, the mfg department purchased several hundred 75 Amp APP style connectors with wire all ready crimped in place. The mfg had set the $1000 crimping tool wrong.

We didn't find out until several weeks of production that 20% of those wires would just pull out. Guess who had to do some field travels to replace them?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

You lucky guy!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 AM
NoResults

OK, I got the tool and all is fine, except. The connectors seem really hard to insert into the housing. Any hints. Also, other than having the terminals in different bags it seems very hard to see any difference between the 30 and 45 amp terminals.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

OK, I got the tool and all is fine, except. The connectors seem really hard to insert into the housing. Any hints. Also, other than having the terminals in different bags it seems very hard to see any difference between the 30 and 45 amp terminals.

Yeah
Those terminals are a very tight fit into their housings. What you need to be careful of is making certain your stranded wire does not extend past the end of the "V" portion of the terminal.

If the wire sticks out past that "V", the wire will hit the inside of the plastic shell, and will be very difficult to insert to where the spring clip inside the connector latches in. If your wires stick out past that "V", it is a simple fix, just hit the strands sticking out with a belt sander, or Dremel sanding drum. Just be careful not to hit the contact portion of the connector with the sanding equipment.

Sometimes, it helps to use a pair of needle nose pliers on each side of the terminal to help push it in. This only becomes a problem with using #12 wire, and having that wire stick to far into that "V" portion of the terminal.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

The 15 and 30 amp are very close but the 45 amp terminals are substantially different.

Pics...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PP30_xlrg.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	170284   Click image for larger version

Name:	45m.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	170285   Click image for larger version

Name:	45amp.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	170286  
Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

The 15 and 30 amp are very close but the 45 amp terminals are substantially different.

Pics...

Mike
Yup, those 45 Amp connectors are the open "V" type. As for quality connectors, check out these original type APP connectors from Allied Electronics. Their contacts are some 30% heavier than the photos you show. And, the assembled units are interchangeable between the APP and the Allied units.

Anderson Power Poles???
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539
Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 AM
NoResults

Just wanted to say thanks to Kyle, rcers for your recommendations. Got the tool and replaced all my various connectors. Much nicer. They all connect and disconnect easily and not much more weight than the Deans, etc.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Just wanted to say thanks to Kyle, rcers for your recommendations. Got the tool and replaced all my various connectors. Much nicer. They all connect and disconnect easily and not much more weight than the Deans, etc.
Yup

That crimper and the respective terminals do work very well.