Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Aveox Hybridrive L160 uP with motors 1406 4y and 2y

Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Joe Bays

Default Aveox Hybridrive L160 uP with motors 1406 4y and 2y

Looking for info regarding using my Aveox 1406 4y and/or my 2y with the Aveox Hybridrive L160 uP in a fixed wing airplane.

I bought the two motors and the one speed control from Aveox many years ago and they have been sitting here waiting for me to use them !!!

Will these older Aveox motors work with a present day Speed Control?

Am I correct that I can use the 4y in a direct drive mode?
If so what prop?

Am I correct that the 1406 2y should be used with a gearbox? What prop?
suggested setup with a 3 or 4 cell lipo???

Joe Bays
www.madcorc.com
http://www.madcorc.com/IMAAchptr48.htm
Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Joe,
I can answer a couple of your questions as I've used several Aveox motors. I'm still flying a 1010 2Y on an Astro 4/1 planetary gearbox (MPI has equivalent for less money). You are correct that the 1406 4Y should be used in a direct drive and the 2Y with either a gearbox or a very small prop. Unfortunately I don't recall prop sizes. I seem to recall that Aveox motors don't like much over 30 amps and definitely don't like overheating.

Yes, they do work work with modern ESCs (my 1010 2Y is being run by a CC Phx 54). I may still have the manual on the L160 controller, but I can't get to my shop for at least another week as I recently had foot surgery.

Kirk Massey at New Creations RC was a big Aveox vendor and very knowledgable. Call, do not use e-mail; you may never get an answer. Ask for Kirk specifically.
Walt
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Joe Bays

Thanks Walt, I appreciate the advise and wisdom,
Take good care of that foot. I can wait....... for look how long it has been since I bought this stuff.....grin

Joe Bays