RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Have you seen this?

Old 05-06-2017, 03:40 AM
SoCal Perky
Stik Jockey

Default Have you seen this?

I recently purchased an Orange RX and was using for the first time a few weeks ago. When coming in for a landing about 100 feet away I lost the connection between the Transmitter/Receiver for a few seconds, then it came back. I opened up the receiver to make sure there was no bad solder joints on the circuit board pads and I saw this white stuff on the signal pads. It didn't look like corrosion per say, but it was a light grey/white colored material. Maybe left over from not cleaning the boards after they are wave soldered? Any thoughts???

Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Most likely just flux residue. It would be a passive flux so wouldn't cause any harm.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Bald Paul

Are you flying at an AMA club? If so, be aware that the Lemon / Orange receivers are not FCC certified, and therefore, AMA will not cover damages or injuries caused by any aircraft using them. Some clubs are banning their use completely. South Jersey RC Society put out this notice to club members:
http://www.sjrc-society.com/radio-eq...oval-required/
Old 05-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Rodneh

Since when have receivers required FCC certification? I do not believe it is required, only transmitters require the certification. I could be wrong but can find no documentation stating such requirement.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Are you flying at an AMA club? If so, be aware that the Lemon / Orange receivers are not FCC certified, and therefore, AMA will not cover damages or injuries caused by any aircraft using them. Some clubs are banning their use completely. South Jersey RC Society put out this notice to club members:
http://www.sjrc-society.com/radio-eq...oval-required/
That's nice to know, THX 4 the warning!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
Since when have receivers required FCC certification? I do not believe it is required, only transmitters require the certification. I could be wrong but can find no documentation stating such requirement.
I've sent a message to the AMA asking for clarification. I know any Rx with telemetry capability must be FCC certified.

To be honest, I'm not really crazy about the cheap Chinese stuff anyway. I have many hours into designing and building my planes (not to mention the money) and I'm not about to skimp on the electronic controls to save a few bucks.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 PM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
They always have, because they have oscillators in them. Even 72MHz receivers had to pass FCC.

And modern receivers need to because they talk back during bind.

Andy
Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'm not really crazy about the cheap Chinese stuff anyway.
Then you may need to give up the hobby because the vast majority of RC products are 'made in China' (or nearby far eastern countries). Some is developed and marketed by businesses with local presence (like Horizon) and some is sold direct from China, but it's almost all 'Chinese stuff'.
Check the 'Made In' sticker
Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Then you may need to give up the hobby because the vast majority of RC products are 'made in China' (or nearby far eastern countries). Some is developed and marketed by businesses with local presence (like Horizon) and some is sold direct from China, but it's almost all 'Chinese stuff'.
Check the 'Made In' sticker
Oh, please....
Yes, some equipment made in China, like the brand name equipment, is good. But, I'm referring to the 'clones' or even the counterfeit equipment that comes from there.

A buddy of mine got a really good deal on some "genuine Futaba" servos. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were counterfeit knockoffs, and warned him not to use them. He did anyway. One failed in flight and cost him a model.

There are knockoff brands being sold as Spektrum radios and receivers, all coming from China. Are you inferring that, because they come from China, they are as good as genuine Spektrum? I don't think so.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 AM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

Yes, some equipment made in China, like the brand name equipment, is good. But, I'm referring to the 'clones' or even the counterfeit equipment that comes from there.
This afternoon one of my boating and flying buddies from Georgia called me. He was having trouble getting his radio system in his newly-built plane to work when he attached the wing servos. It ran great when he had a 2000mAh pack plugged in, but when he would hook it up with the ESC, all the servos would go hard over to one direction and stop.

He had this same ESC and servos in an 80" Falcon 56, so he "knows it works fine." That Falcon went in with what he thought was a radio glitch on his Futaba (he was a LONG time Futaba user), so he bought a Spektrum because he knows me.

Anyways, we talked all the way through what was going on while he's doing it as we're talking. Then he mentioned where he got the 100A ESC, a hobby shop that sells a lot online. If I mentioned the name, you'd know it. I explained that we have a lot of trouble with this shop because they sell counterfeits as well as genuine products. That's a real problem! People don't know if what they're getting is the real deal or not.

The BEC in the ESC couldn't handle the power requirements of 6 good digital servos. With 5 servos in the Falcon it was borderline - 6 put it over the edge.

I told him how a BEC works, and he then reminded me of how his Falcon would glitch at high speed, and that it went in with a hard roll that it never recovered from.

I heard the light bulb turn on for him. He suddenly realized that the BEC failed, and that's what cost him his Falcon. He knows that speed increases the servo loads. His Futaba was reminding him, but he didn't understand the message it gave. Five at low speed was OK. Five at high speed was glitchy. Six just powering up was too much.

So we talked it through and he did the right thing. The ESC is fine when used solely as an ESC. He cut the red wire feeding the receiver and attached his battery pack. All is now well.

The moral of this story is, just because you bought it at a hobby shop doesn't mean it's a good product. Make sure it's real. If the price is too good to be true, it's probably not worth the money. Make sure it's a hobby shop that focuses on quality, not price. He bought from a discounter who sells both good and counterfeits as well as clones. It was an expensive lesson, but I don't think he'll be repeating that mistake.

I can't wait to see the photos and videos of his new plane.

Andy

PS - the latest issue of Model Aviation has a great tutorial on servo power. READ IT!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The selling of copy gear is rife in Amazon of all places - then practice spans many sellers.

The interesting thing though is that Hobby King who we all know sell end of line and copy's as well as genuine - do state items that are genuine etc. Look at the chargers section and you find what I say.

Nigel
Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM
SoCal Perky
Stik Jockey

Thanks for the responses everyone. I came from an industry where it's products were made in the USA for the most part to now they are made in China by just about everyone but a few hold overs.

Just because it's made in China does not automatically mean it's junk IMHO, but it certainly can be. What I've seen are manufacturers who feel they can't compete or just want their products made cheaper so they go to China.

They get some prototypes made and if they like them, they will order a bunch or a container or whatever. Often, all is well at the start, but then as it often happens. Little by little things change. Brand name components can change to no name ones, quality and tolerances of components themselves can change, IC's can change, Board thickness can change etc...etc...

Regardless of the name on the product, by the time the buyer receives several shipments the products they are often not getting and selling the products they approved at the beginning. If the companies do not have a diligent quality control dept or person watching every single shipment for quality they can be selling products that are cheaper to manufacture and may not work as well in the long run, regardless of the brand name on them. Like the saying goes...It's Hard to Buy Cheap Quality Stuff...

Last edited by SoCal Perky; 05-09-2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I have found some Chinese blatantly lie about their products. I bought 2 car dash cams supposed to be 1080P. Both appeared well made but internally both were junk. Lucky to have been 240P. Couldn't even read a number plate. They both went in the bin.
Yet I bought a security cam advertised as 1080P and it is superb even when set on low resolution. High res is extremely good. It was only a bit over $30 and is wifi and can pan around.
Luck of the draw.